iMac Question, can I get a delete warning ?

Been using my iMac a bit lately and ended up deleting some files without knowing. Being mainly a windows user I was a little supprised to find out there is no delete warning on a Mac. After a bit of a google it appears it is not an user option either.

Unless I have overlooked something is there a way to get a delete warning when files are being deleted. For what happened to me going into the recycle bin would not have helped as I had no idea what the files were named.

I have tried to see if there is a third part utility that may add this warning, thought there must be something but could not find anything.

Saw some discussion of a script to add it, but did not really understand the article so that option is out.

Makes me think I must be missing something.

Any iMac users who can shed any light, and or set me on the right path :hmmm:

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
Finder > Preferences > Advanced>Show warning before emptying the Trash

You don’t disclose what OS you’re using so try that. Or look around in Sys Prefs.

If you lock your important folders, you get a warning prompt and password request if you attempt to move anything to the bin.

To lock a folder, get it in a finder window, press cmd+i (get info) and you will see a checkbox halfway down the pane. Just tick it.
If i lock a folder can it still be used, new or changed files ?
IE do I lock myself out of the folder as well ?

Last edited:
Finder > Preferences > Advanced>Show warning before emptying the Trash

You don’t disclose what OS you’re using so try that. Or look around in Sys Prefs.
Im in the process of updating now to the latest version. I think Big Sur or something
I looked in the sys prefs and finder prefs but did not see anything, will look again after the update.
My machine is a 2019 model

When i googled the problem most people were just as perplexed as me. But being a windows user i have zero knowledge about Macs, and the learning curve is very big.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
If i lock a folder can it still be used, new or changed files ?
IE do I lock myself out of the folder as well ?

No.

You don't lock yourself out. You just need to enter your system password if prompted. Files open normally.

if you want to change a file and resave it, you need to grant permissions. I find this is convoluted. I tend to unlock the folder prior to working on it.

It's not a new feature. Select/highlight the folder and [cmd i] will show the following dialogue (if you don't see the lock option, twirl open the top tab).

Screenshot 2021-07-06 at 12.57.45.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm a convert from 20+ years of Windows too. Swore I'd never get a Mac. Terrible things, overrated, overpriced etc etc. I now have two.

Screenshot 2021-07-06 at 13.03.40.png

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Another option is to get yourself a large drive and make it your Time Machine. Since everything takes a trip to the Trash first, if you accidentally delete something, go to Trash, alt click and select "put back." You don't have to remember where it was, the software knows. If you don't know the names of the files, just put back everything. Yeah, you might end up restoring something you wanted to delete, too, but you can always go back and delete them again. Normally you wouldn't have this problem if you knew what you were deleting. I don't believe Macs won't let you delete critical system files, at least not without a password first. It may not let you delete them at all.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
After decades of using all kinds of OSes (I designed computer chips for a living), I always found the deletion warnings in Windows to be the most annoying thing (out of a million annoying things) in that OS.

Macs have better alternatives, both mentioned above.

1. Lock any folder where you are worried about accidental deletions.

2. Enable the warning before emptying the trash, so you can check everything currently in the trash.

3. Keep Time Machine backups, enabling restoration of anything that's been on the disk for more than an hour before being deleted. I've brought back deleted files years later.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Pretty sure the warning is enabled by default?

1625586256109.png

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's toggled in the Finder's prefs:

1625586470041.png

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
I made the move some time ago from Win to Mac (2007) and 100% agree it's a learning curve and a different way to think about things. IMO, it's worth it, but YMMV. As others have said - everything goes into your trash and is recoverable and also, keep time machine backups. You can do this on a cheapie external USB disk if you want.

The macOS Trash is just a special folder assigned to the Finder. It takes 3 steps minimum to send files to the Trash and delete files permanently. The user must deliberately navigate to the Trash to wipe items from the system. It is difficult by design to delete files on the macOS.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
I made the move some time ago from Win to Mac (2007) and 100% agree it's a learning curve and a different way to think about things. IMO, it's worth it, but YMMV. As others have said - everything goes into your trash and is recoverable and also, keep time machine backups. You can do this on a cheapie external USB disk if you want.

One warning, time machine will delete certain files to save space without warning (by default anyway). E.g.: create a file at 10 am, time machine backs up at 11, you delete at 11.30, end of the day time machine will (I believe) get rid of that file. There are similar algorithms per day week month etc - I forget the details. (The logic being that you likely don't want to keep temporary files and the like, if you created and deleted in the space of an hour it probably was jsut a working version or something like that). Obviously this is more of a problem if you've used the same time machine drive for a decade.

It's a very good algorithm and efficient but it's not magic - it eventually starts throwing stuff out to save space with a logical attempt to maximize retaining likely useful or important files.

Be careful with the important ones.

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
It takes 3 steps minimum to send files to the Trash and delete files permanently.

One of the options is to delete files in trash after 30 days - so this is not always true. (I'm not sure what the default settings currently are...)

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
One warning, time machine will delete certain files to save space without warning (by default anyway). E.g.: create a file at 10 am, time machine backs up at 11, you delete at 11.30, end of the day time machine will (I believe) get rid of that file. There are similar algorithms per day week month etc - I forget the details. (The logic being that you likely don't want to keep temporary files and the like, if you created and deleted in the space of an hour it probably was jsut a working version or something like that). Obviously this is more of a problem if you've used the same time machine drive for a decade.

It's a very good algorithm and efficient but it's not magic - it eventually starts throwing stuff out to save space with a logical attempt to maximize retaining likely useful or important files.

Be careful with the important ones.
I can't comment on that, but what I do is manual sporadic back-ups. Target is once a week, though I don't always hit that.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Unless I have overlooked something is there a way to get a delete warning when files are being deleted. For what happened to me going into the recycle bin would not have helped as I had no idea what the files were named.
The Finder trusts that you have properly chosen which files you wish to place in the trash. I wonder if you managed to include some of the missing files by virtue of a range selection (perhaps using Shift-Select rather than Command-Select), whether in list or icon view. I certainly have on occasion. If you suspect you may have done so, immediately issuing a Re-Do Undo (Command-z) will bring all the newly deleted files out of the trash, whether you know their names or not. This has saved my bacon several times.

Last edited:

Armoured

Mu-43 Regular
Been using my iMac a bit lately and ended up deleting some files without knowing.
Could you explain what these files are and how they're ending up in the trash? How is it you don't know what they're named?

I really don't understand how this is happening. From the finder, you have to select a key combination (cmd-delete/backspace), so it's not something that happens accidentally that often. (You can also select file/move to trash with the mouse but that requires even more deliberate action)

And you'd usually see what the files are named.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom