1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

iMac has stopped recognizing USB when bodies are plugged in

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ralf-11, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    My 2017 iMac has stopped recognizing either my GX85 or my G9 when they are plugged into the USB to transfer files. This is my preference as I can do the transfer and then turn the body off to charge the battery.

The 2 bodies use different types of cables, and the setup menus on the camera have NOT changed.

i suspect that Crapple has effed up the USB recognition somehow with one their %^&*()$ "upgrades"...

Any ideas?

Maybe there is a way to force the damn USB drivers to rescan the port?

2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    A couple things:

1. First, the universal fix -- have you restarted?
    2. Second, the USB bus may be overloaded -- try plugging in only one device, directly into your iMac, and see if that works, then add more USB devices until it quits working. If you are plugging into a hub, bypass the hub.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017
    Thx - but can't figure out why it used to work but stopped as none of those things have changed

4. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    Check if your MAC has a USB2.0 or 3.0 port. I found that the USB3.0 implementation on the recent MACs no longer supports some external equipment that quite happily works under USB2.0

5. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017

6. Rollasaurus

Rollasaurus Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Evansville IN USA
    You can try resetting the SMC, sometimes that will fix the problem especially something that just seems to come out of nowhere.

System Management Controller:
    1. Shut down your Mac
    2. Disconnect the power cord
    3. Press and hold the Mac’s power button for 5 seconds
    4. Release the button
    5. Reattach the power cables and boot the Mac as usual

7. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    Did you try restarting, yet?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.