1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

iMac G5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bill Gordon, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

have an iMac G5 with Leopard installed. I have been trying to find a way to re-format the hard drive and re-install the operating system without success. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
    docholiday@sympatico.ca

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Sounds like an Apple Service is needs for that Bill.
    Maybe PM Kevinparis, he's an Apple Guru.

3. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    You have not described the problem you are having. Usually you just put in the system DVD and choose erase and reinstall when asked what you want to do.

Richard

4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Disk Utility in /Application/Utilities -- not in front of a computer at the moment, so that's from recall.

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I just did a format, system reinstall, and restore, last week. I had everything backed up on time machine. Stuck in the DVD disk with the system install on it. Before going to install, there's a way to get to the utility menu, from which you can go to disk tools (or something like that - not sure of the name, but pretty obvious) and told it to reformat the drive. Once reformatted, I booted up from the DVD and reinstalled the system. Then went to software update (Apple menu) and it downloaded and installed the system updates. Then I restored everything from Time Machine. It took a while to work through all of this, but it had to be the least painful process I've ever gone through with a complete system reinstall.

Good luck,

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks Ray, when I am in front of the 'puter I will put into practice what you suggested. I obviously am on another 'puter....running Snow and the other is my old 'puter.