1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

iMac 24" entranced

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BillN, Sep 9, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I have become so entranced with my iMac 24" that I have just bought a MacBook Pro 15" - £1500, (I know that an extortionate price for you US guys - if you can work the $ price out - bet you can't)

This message comes from a died in the wool PC user since 1985 - I started with the twin floppy XT

Great software, great design, great machine - I just love it and keep buying these MacPromo software things every quarter

(Apple have promised to pay me a commission if I enrol a few OAP - all you US guys need to google what OAP is)

tell me about your Mac and why you love it

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Geeze Bill...$2316.00 is a lot for that.
    It would be cheaper for me to buy it and ship it to you....

Anyway..... I too started with PC stuff when it was a Commodore....
    So I went with Mac when they 1st started and still here.
    Why do I prefer them?
    I don't want on my screen....
    Virus found.... What file..... Can't locate hard drive....
    Error 216 etc..... Get it...
    What I do want on my screen ...
    All my time and hard work to be there all the time....

On my 24.. If I was a pixel peeper..I'd be deadly....
    I learned a few things about computers that are most important...
    An Apple a day keeps the headaches away...
    PC=Personal Crisis!

• Like Like x 1
  3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I used to be a die-hard Mac user back in the early days. All that changed when I discovered there were more video games available for the PC, and ended up moving to a 486DX (!). Been a PC user ever since. I do love my Apple 23" monitor that's sitting on my desk hooked up to my PC.

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
  5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I've still got a PC running along side the Mac - I use it for running anti virus software and the now unsupported MicroSoft Money, (which I also run on the Mac using parallel)

6. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I've never owned a Windows machine, though I did use Linux as my desktop OS for a few years -- mostly on Mac hardware.

I've had my MacBook Pro for a couple of years now; it's time for another one, but I bought a camera instead.

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haha this thread is right down my alley! I have the 13 inch proand sometimes I wonder if I shoulder got the larger one, but then again when I go away I'm glad it's small.

If Bill paid 2316 for the 15inch I guess he's not far past me. When the 13"pro came out in Australia it was $1970. And me smart and cunning I thought if I bought one from the US i could get it cheaper (back when the aussie dollar was 97 US cents. So I did. I found a shop that would buy stuff from there and send it to me.

But I didn't realize Australia has this stupid thing called Sales Tax. It got stuck in customs and I had to pay like $300 to cover the sales tax so they would release it. And that isn' the worst of it, as soon as I paid the Customs, the price for the 13"pro in Australia dropped $500. The biggest single price drop I have ever seen Apple do. Even though my 13" now costed 30 dollars more than the original aussie price and much more than the price drop- I still love it to bits. It was an experience anyway from buying from my chair in Australia and working with BH Photo, a shop in the US i have never heard about.

In the end it's all only money!And that goes round, so I should worry about it too much. But i still don't know how you guys in the US can get Apple stuff so cheap. I paid 1300 for my iphone 4!!

Does anyone like the cleaning cloth that comes with the new Apple computers?:smile:

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Here we go. I'm not even going to tell you what I paid for my current MacBook Pro w/2.66 GHz Intel Core 17, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, so there!:tongue:

9. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Switched about 6 years ago now, never looked back. I dread the times I have to use a Windows machine, which thankfully isn't all that often these days.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Started with PDP11/34 and Radio Shack TRS80 and Coco. Moved to Atari 512 in College then PC in post-grad work.

in 2007, when my PC's registry died twice in a month, and the only option was Vista, I thought "I'll give this Mac thing a whirl."

Now I've got a white iMac, MBP 13" mac mini hooked up to the TV and an iPad. A PC for work, too.

I've also switch to mac 4 relatives and a friend, and I run tech support for them all (which amounts to absolutely no time at all).

We started up a non-profit, and I wanted to get Macs, but PCs were donated, and our network/IT volunteer said he didn't know Macs. Didn't have the heart to tell him that if we bought Macs, we wouldn't even need him!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.