1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

iMac 24" entranced

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BillN, Sep 9, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I have become so entranced with my iMac 24" that I have just bought a MacBook Pro 15" - £1500, (I know that an extortionate price for you US guys - if you can work the $ price out - bet you can't)

This message comes from a died in the wool PC user since 1985 - I started with the twin floppy XT

Great software, great design, great machine - I just love it and keep buying these MacPromo software things every quarter

(Apple have promised to pay me a commission if I enrol a few OAP - all you US guys need to google what OAP is)

tell me about your Mac and why you love it

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Geeze Bill...$2316.00 is a lot for that.
    It would be cheaper for me to buy it and ship it to you....

Anyway..... I too started with PC stuff when it was a Commodore....
    So I went with Mac when they 1st started and still here.
    Why do I prefer them?
    I don't want on my screen....
    Virus found.... What file..... Can't locate hard drive....
    Error 216 etc..... Get it...
    What I do want on my screen ...
    All my time and hard work to be there all the time....

On my 24.. If I was a pixel peeper..I'd be deadly....
    I learned a few things about computers that are most important...
    An Apple a day keeps the headaches away...
    PC=Personal Crisis!

• Like Like x 1
  3. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I used to be a die-hard Mac user back in the early days. All that changed when I discovered there were more video games available for the PC, and ended up moving to a 486DX (!). Been a PC user ever since. I do love my Apple 23" monitor that's sitting on my desk hooked up to my PC.

4. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
  5. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I've still got a PC running along side the Mac - I use it for running anti virus software and the now unsupported MicroSoft Money, (which I also run on the Mac using parallel)

6. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I've never owned a Windows machine, though I did use Linux as my desktop OS for a few years -- mostly on Mac hardware.

I've had my MacBook Pro for a couple of years now; it's time for another one, but I bought a camera instead.

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Haha this thread is right down my alley! I have the 13 inch proand sometimes I wonder if I shoulder got the larger one, but then again when I go away I'm glad it's small.

If Bill paid 2316 for the 15inch I guess he's not far past me. When the 13"pro came out in Australia it was $1970. And me smart and cunning I thought if I bought one from the US i could get it cheaper (back when the aussie dollar was 97 US cents. So I did. I found a shop that would buy stuff from there and send it to me.

But I didn't realize Australia has this stupid thing called Sales Tax. It got stuck in customs and I had to pay like $300 to cover the sales tax so they would release it. And that isn' the worst of it, as soon as I paid the Customs, the price for the 13"pro in Australia dropped $500. The biggest single price drop I have ever seen Apple do. Even though my 13" now costed 30 dollars more than the original aussie price and much more than the price drop- I still love it to bits. It was an experience anyway from buying from my chair in Australia and working with BH Photo, a shop in the US i have never heard about.

In the end it's all only money!And that goes round, so I should worry about it too much. But i still don't know how you guys in the US can get Apple stuff so cheap. I paid 1300 for my iphone 4!!

Does anyone like the cleaning cloth that comes with the new Apple computers?:smile:

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Here we go. I'm not even going to tell you what I paid for my current MacBook Pro w/2.66 GHz Intel Core 17, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, so there!:tongue:

9. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Switched about 6 years ago now, never looked back. I dread the times I have to use a Windows machine, which thankfully isn't all that often these days.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Started with PDP11/34 and Radio Shack TRS80 and Coco. Moved to Atari 512 in College then PC in post-grad work.

in 2007, when my PC's registry died twice in a month, and the only option was Vista, I thought "I'll give this Mac thing a whirl."

Now I've got a white iMac, MBP 13" mac mini hooked up to the TV and an iPad. A PC for work, too.

I've also switch to mac 4 relatives and a friend, and I run tech support for them all (which amounts to absolutely no time at all).

We started up a non-profit, and I wanted to get Macs, but PCs were donated, and our network/IT volunteer said he didn't know Macs. Didn't have the heart to tell him that if we bought Macs, we wouldn't even need him!