1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'm weak lord, please forgive me, I bought...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Jan 16, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    an E-P5 today at B&H. I really didn't intend to, but I'm finding that I use my E-PL5 a lot more than my E-M5 since it's smaller and more portable - but the lack of dials and 5-axis IBIS is a letdown. So, I reasoned that it would be a sensible move.

I think The Lord might forgive me, but I'm yet to tell my wife...

• Like Like x 4
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That $200 USD off didn't have anything to do with it eh? :biggrin:

3. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, that; and the current US$/£ exchange rate. It's the same price in $ as £, but there's 1.62 conversion.

I must say, it's a great feeling camera. I think I'm going to enjoy it a lot.

4. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    I was thinking of picking one up also but the fear of the wife is in me :biggrin:

5. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013
    "The Devil made me do it"?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I bought mine while my wife was out of town.

• Like Like x 2
  7. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    You could look at it from another perspective:

PRAISE THE LORD!!!

(congratulations on your new more versatile, sharper, better sensor, more comfortable, asbestos and lead-free, toy!)

8. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Don't the christians say the lord works in mysterious ways? If so, the deity intended for you to buy it.

With regards to foegiveness from the spouse; in a silly film I saw, god said if you pray for more trust, forgiveness and care in your family, he doesn't just give it to you, but rather gives you the oppurtunity to show more trust and care;) this could be such an oppurtunity for your wife...

Or not.

Any way, enjoy your new shooter!

9. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I've been looking at the offer as well, but thought there would be import duty (to the UK) plus VAT which would more than negate the saving.
    Did you buy it in country in person, that's the only way of I can think of without suffering the import / VAT when bought via the Internet off shore. UPDATE: H+M customs calculator says no import duty, but VAT (at 20%) makes it £600, approx.
    I'm thinking about the E-P5 or E-PL5 as a second body to my EM5, but having difficulty deciding whether to get a 2nd EM5 (off eBay) or one of the PENs. Im not sure i like holding a camera at arms length, and the PEN would need a viewer (VF-2 or 4) to enable the camera to be held to the eye.
    Can anyone offer real-life user experience using a PEN as as a point and shoot, at 'arm's length', camera, or do most use the viewer and use it as they would if it was a DSLR?

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Mr.Ricoh I always use my VF-2 with my Pens, except the e-P1 & 17mm which gets a tiny optical viewfinder.
    I'm unusual : I hate using the LCD. You might like it. The proper Pens (e-P1, e-P2, e-P3 & e-P5) have decent sized LCDs.

11. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I bought in person at B&H, so no VAT. As regards the Pen vs E-M5 and EVF issue, here's my take...

I do prefer an EVF, but I also like a camera that's small enough to carry everywhere with a few lenses in a small bag. I've been using the E-PL5 for that purpose for the last year and it's a great solution. I use it both with and without the VF2 (but I never leave home without the VF2). I'm gradually getting more comfortable with the rear LCD (as an old Luddite, new ideas take time to sink in!). However, I've never been happy about the lack of physical controls, so the E-P5 is a good upgrade. It's slightly bigger and heavier, but it still fits the bill as a small go-anywhere camera.

The E-M5 doesn't quite make it when viewed in this light. The viewfinder bump makes it harder to fit into a small case and since I tend to use the E-M5 with a grip (for bigger zooms), the situation is exacerbated. So, what works for me is to use the E-M5 as a camera for bigger and longer lenses or when I'm specifically going out to take pictures; and the E-P(L)5 as a smaller camera with a few small primes in a 'go anywhere' bag.

12. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    No formalities, please, lol
    I too have no 'love' for the LCD, so if I got one of the PENs, I'd be after a VF-2 or similar. It then adds bulk, so unless I'm missing something, it has no benefit over the EM5, does it? So many rave over the PEN, especially the E-P5, so I must clearly be missing something!

Edit, just read your message above, pdk42. That's the reason I suspected, i.e size, and of course it look a damn good camera! No business trips for me in the forthcoming weeks or months, but even after VAT, which B&H will sort out and add to the bill, it's still cheaper than the uk.
    Are you keeping the E-PL5, or are you considering selling?

13. I'm trying to make myself use the VF-4 with the E-P5 because it is so damn good, but in truth I'll use it or any similar camera with the rear screen most of the time. Ergonomically there is little difference between the E-M5 and the E-P5 so you'll probably use them the same way if you buy an EVF for the E-P5.

By the way, if you're using a camera with the rear screen and literally holding it at arm's length,

[​IMG] :smile:

14. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Dubya, what a man - Tony's best mate, lol
    At the moment olympus are giving away a free VF-4, if an E-P5 is purchased in the uk.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Say a rosary and stop down. Seriously, flip the screen out and shoot looking down. You can brace it against your body and it's a very stable position.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I missed the part about you buying it at the B&H store in NYC. Helluva place, ain't it? If you escaped only buying a E-P5 you're a stronger man than I.

17. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    The E-P5 is great. A lot of physical dials, flip screen, and the big one 5-axis all in the sleep form of the pen body. I love the freedom the LCD gives me because i can get angles by extending my arms. Not having to glue my face to a viewfinder makes it less awkward in social situations and i can enjoy my vacation and friend's company.

If i really wanted to immerse myself in photography. I'll attache the VF-4.

18. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I was out today with my EM5 and 7.5 sammy, using the LCD to get those shots that would only be achieved by lying prostrate. It's not my usual style, but the LCD does have its moments.
    There's reports of the EM5's bezel cracking (much said about this on the forum and olympus repairing if returned before end of Feb or March this year IIRC).
    Does the EP5 suffer the same - I guess (with emphasis on guess) its a common component between the two models.

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Congrats and enjoy it.

20. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'd like to sell it, but it fear it won't fetch too much.

Yes, mine's cracked. I need to send it off. The E-P5 screen is a completely different design and looks much nicer made. I've not heard of issues with it.