I'm used to really fast service but.......

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by the_traveler, May 13, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Henry,

I've bought every single piece of higher end camera gear I own from B&H and I've grown to expect great service - and good candy.

I ordered a 35-100 Panasonic 2.8 this morning at 11 AM and I've been waiting.

The UPS truck went by - nothing.

More than 6 hours and nothing yet.
    What is going on?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Too funny Lew! Waiting is a pain, isn't it?

3. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    2 minutes after I posted this I got an email that it had been shipped.
    (since it is a 3 hour ride here, there's even a decent chance I'll get it tomorrow.)

B&H is a disorienting place to go, at least for me. I think about a big $1300 purchase and the walls are just lined with every conceivable piece of gear. The only conceivable improvement for them as a store is to have a coffee lounge with free, but kosher, donuts.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I give up... Who's "Henry?"

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Patience, Grasshopper . . . :biggrin:

6. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Sorry, until you know the secret pass phrase, you don't get to know who Henry is.:smile:

I think that Henry Cohen is the rep from B&H who tames the on-line beast.

7. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    Henry Posner
    Seems that part of his job is a representative on forums
    I've seen his answers to posts on FM as well.

8. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Haven't quite seen this yet with B&H, but I've ordered around 5pm from Amazon and had it show up by 11am the next day - about 18 hours. At these speeds, they've changed the equation: you can sometimes get something quicker by ordering online than you could by finding time to drive to the store.

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    But it's sooooo fun to pick up and play with your prosepctive toys before buying. Getting to drop in at B&H and Adorama every month or so almost makes my daily commute to New York worth it.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Normally standard 3 day to me in MA is next day if I order before noon. Wish they still had free standard shipping for NAPP members. Still free, but now it really does take 3 days. :mad:

11. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Yes, but its sort of like looking at real estate listing for Paris. No matter how good you feel about your current status, you quickly realize that there are some things you will never, ever have.

12. henryp

henryp Sponsor

Jan 18, 2010
    New York, NY
    Henry Posner
    Just a guy ... maybe I shouldn't be channeling "Notting Hill?" :)

13. henryp

henryp Sponsor

Jan 18, 2010
    New York, NY
    Henry Posner
    Had you paid for our ultra-premium hand delivery I'd have driven it out myself and picked up your dry cleaning and groceries en route. :) Instead, UPS says:
    <dl><dt><label>Delivered On:</label>Tuesday, 05/14/2013 at 11:47 A.M. </dt></dl>

14. henryp

henryp Sponsor

Jan 18, 2010
    New York, NY
    Henry Posner
    My second job interview I was given a tour of the warehouse by our COO, a large and rather imposing Hasidic gentleman a head or more taller than I am. As we passed aisles of Nikons, Canons, Hasselblads etc I was unable to contain myself and blurted out, "For a photographer like me this is Santa's wonderland."

I was certain I'd just killed my chance at the job but, after tilting his head like a dog hearing one of those whistles you and I cannot, he smiled. Disorienting hardly covers it.

15. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Yes, Henry (sorry I got your last name incorrect). It was delivered just over 24 hours from the time I placed the order.

And I've already taken some completely forgettable but sharp pictures with it. (and told the UPS guy how terrific B&H is.)

Some day, before opening, why don't you walk around the store and take a bunch of pictures to post - or do a Google scan of the inside so people could really understand just how much 'stuff' there is?

16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I have wondered many a time what the mothership looks like inside, and yeah, mothership is the way many speak of the place. I hope to visit B&H one day on my next trip to the US.

Congrats on the lovely new lens Lew. Please be sure to post your thoughts on how it compares to its wider brother. I recently borrowed the P12-35 for 2 weeks and I think it's a fantastic lens fully deserving of its 'premium' status...my unscientific testing has me concluding that at 17mm its "close enough" to being on par with the Fujinon 23mm/f2 from Fuji X100S and the same at 25mm when compared to the Pana Leica 25/f1.4. I am now super curious if the 35-100 is of the same VERY high standard.

Thanks, and enjoy.

17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I'll bet that is already included in the price of this item: https://www.mu-43.com/f89/most-expensive-lens-cap-ever-46049/ .
    :biggrin:

--Ken

18. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I suspect that it looks like the warehouse in the final scene of the original Indiana Jones movie!

--Ken

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    For years Henry P. was, I think, the only forum rep from B&H, and he seemed to be everywhere. Now B&H seems to have gotten him some help.

Like the OP, almost every piece of new gear (and some used) I own has come from B&H.

Except that B&H can actually find things in their warehouse.

20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Funny how some things show up super fast and other items take forever! The other day I ordered some blacklight dye from Wildfire in California and had it in less than 48 hours.