I'm torn between two new cameras!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by digitalandfilm, Aug 17, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Both would fit my needs, especially since they both now have focus peaking.

Both need EVF's (XE-1 included) .. main difference is the sensor format and image quality.

Attached Files:

• xe1.
      File size:
      43.9 KB
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    You're doing mostly adapted lenses, right? What about the NEX-6/7?
  3. NiteWing

NiteWing Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 4, 2013
    Micro Four Thirds has way more lenses available. And the smaller sensor does have its advantages along with the disadvantages. The smaller sensor gives you extra reach and with the lenses you can get a 600mm for a 550 lens. And that is just a few of the advantages
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I would say it really depends on your need for lenses, EVF, AF capability, and what m4/3 lenses you may already have.

I tried out the X-E1 and five native lenses with it for a short time. It's a nice kit. In the end, though, already having about 15 m4/3 lenses, EM5, EPL5, I decided the difference in EQ was insignificant enough to me to stick with the full array of lenses and excellent AF with the m4/3 kit. Recently added EP5, with GX7 on preorder. I think m4/3 is an awesome choice.

In another year or two I may make the same comparison... just to see how the Fuji system has come along in comparison to m4/3. I'd switch to something else if the difference was significant and the shortcomings (aside from cost of transitioning) were few to none. Nothing else out there, today anyway, is compelling enough to me to switch.
  5. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I considered the Sony NEX-7.. but the form-factor seems alien to me.
  6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Need more information about your shooting habits and intended usage patterns.
  7. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I have a bunch of M42 lenses.. and for AF lenses, the 35mm would suffice.
  8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I am not sure if you've handled both already. I went Fuji because I got curious, different lay out, a bit more old school, slow with a controversial sensor. It will definitely slow you down a bit including the AF speed. The thing I love about it is the challenge of using it (I know this is suppose to be a con), the experience of doing things differently made me aware of the elements before I take the shot... I love it.

When I come to think of it, there is more advantages on m43 if you want a quick all-rounder system. That E-P5 is a killer camera, probably the best among the Oly's at the moment. I love the very short shutter lag and also the very big VF-4 but Fuji inspired me again just like my old D700.:smile: I feel like all Oly E-VF are better than what is installed on the X-E1 in terms of response time and behavior. E-P5's AF is the fastest among the Oly too, but one area I think the X-E1 is superior is in high ISO and the cleaner more refined feel of the files (Personal opinion only).

In the end, as long as you know what to expect from both cameras, I am sure you will be happy with any of the two. Just remember to expect both cameras to perform differently, I don't even think they should be compared side by side. They should complement each other :smile:

EDIT: Since you're gonna use adapted lenses I guess AF is a toss up, and if you want to shoot old school style, I would definitely recommend the Fuji X-E1.
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For adapted lenses.. Fuji X-E1.

Wide angle adapted lenses are not as interesting on a 2x crop.
  10. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I'm not sure image quality is one of the main differences. Sensor format definitely.

But let's compare apples to apples... the picture you have looks like E-P3.

Here's E-P5 :thumbup:

The decision points for me would be lens selection and focus. Better focus creates better pictures than better sensor out of focus every time. :2thumbs:

11. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    A few good responses above already.

We here all have our preferences; but nothing can save you from doing your own research -- reading up on the differences between these cams/systems.
    And then comparing that info with your own needs and wants.

And while both are fine cameras, the differences are many! Surely enough to just about make your decision for you.

For what it's worth I adore my E-P5, with its fine, fast compact primes. But honestly, that's only meaningful in relation to my personal needs and wants.