I'm torn between B&W and Color.

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 10, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    See the next two shots and help me.. :biggrin:

Attached Files:

• 42gBW.
      File size:
      152.2 KB
    • 42g.
      File size:
      181.4 KB
    • Like Like x 1
  2. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    I like them both too :smile:

What the effect of color is, imho, is that B&W photo is a photo of the couple, the color one is about the girl. But both are good and different enough to keep them, again, imho.
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for sharing .. I love the BW version .. It's has natural soul and coloured one looks beautiful too .
  4. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    The bokeh on the B&W is nice and smooth and contrasty and your female subject stands out well but the male subject loses something. Also woman behind the couple is more interesting in the B&W. I agree with zettapixel about the color shot. Both are pretty great though and I can see how it would be hard to decide.
  5. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I definitely like the B&W version better, but I'm always partial to that treatment. I think the image would have been better if the guy had been looking in somewhat the same direction as the ladies as it would have made more of a story, i.e., What are they so interested in? I think the girl on the left in the color version takes away by being on the phone, but I guess I'm old and tired of cell phone etiquette (the lack of). I'd consider them both keepers.
  6. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    B & W.
    The color one has a distracting background.
  7. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I'm torn.. the traditionalist in me says "B&W is meant for Street!" but the color says "Look at me Pop!"

I guess I'll keep both. :biggrin:
  8. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    B&W all the way! Well done...
  9. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    I don't use BW unless the photo really pops with it. And in this case I don't know doesn't do much for me.

Mostly because I think B&W is overused for street. Really I don't mind seeing what the scene actually look like to the naked eye, rather than for someone who's completely colour blind.
  10. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I'm more the opposite- I don't use color unless the photo begs for it.

11. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    That color scene has such a lively background and such a colorful subject, it would lose a lot in monochrome.

On the other hand, the b&w shot focuses attention on the girl and captures her in a flattering 3/4 pose. She looks lovely there, without distractions of color.

I call them both keepers.
  12. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    A good picture seems to work out just as good in bw as in color. And yours are great!
  13. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Lack of B&W half tones on photographs made by digital cameras is too obvious on final printouts and only very few such shots look good. People tend to produce B&W shots because of its uncommon look, but still such photos are way too ugly when compared to full featured (large negative) B&W shots.
  14. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    I prefer the colour one - between the girl, the Batman logo and the background, colour has more interest for me here. They're both great shots though!
  15. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    What was this shot with? It's super sharp! Also I like the color
  16. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Sony A77 with 35mm 1.8
  17. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Drawn towards the B&W. :thumbup: I'm sure the eyes in the B&W image helped in setting the mood, too.
  18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Both look great.
    I can't choose.
  19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    they're both good. I prefer the color one here....both the shot and the beautiful colors.
  20. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Ah of course. Not m43. I'm starting to get disappointed with the resolution of our tiny sensors. Time to switch to medium format!