1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'm swapping an E-PL5 for a G5... Why?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by entropicremnants, Apr 1, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It's not about not loving the E-PL5 for many things and as I've said on here before it has some operational features I wish my E-M5 would have.

It's not about image quality either. The E-PL5 rocks.

The reason is that I do some paid gigs with my cameras and the last one I did I shot the E-M5 with the 75mm f/1.8 and the E-PL5 with the 17mm f/1.8 and overall they both did well...

EXCEPT for the following that dogged me with the E-PL5:

• When you put a flash on it, you can't use the VF-2 and I like to use a viewfinder when shooting events for most things. If nothing else, both hands holding the camera to ones face is a more stable position.
    • It was on a sling strap and I had repeated problems with the mode dial jumping to another position. I'd pick up the camera and shoot quickly when something happened and it was in the wrong mode and I lost shots.

So, a member on here was looking to trade a G5 and some lenses for a decent Olympus body to get IBIS and I made the swap. Since I'll probably eventually get the Panasonic 12-35mm zoom for paid gigs it can go on the G5. I don't know who came out better overall but we'll both be getting what we're looking for as my trading partner want's IBIS to shoot manual focus primes. I'm giving them my VF-2 also since I won't need it now with two cams with built in EVF.

The G5 has no IBIS but shooting wide I have less need for stabilization anyway so even with a non-stabilized wide prime I'm okay. At events I have to up the shutter speed anyway to catch action.

I still have the E-M5 for critical work, the LX7 for daily carry-about and now the G5 for my wide shooter for events and as a backup for the E-M5 -- AND I'm not out of pocket any cash except for shipping since it's a swap.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Can't disagree. The mode dial does switch easily. I've thought about dropping down to an EPM2 for that reason, but I really like the bigger grip and flip screen of the EPL5.

I just don't use flash on m43. I gave that up, and grab my DSLR for flash, but if I was using flash on m43, I'd have to agree -- not v. useable on the EPL5, unless you can utilize the FL-300R.

3. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yeah, even the FL-36R is biggish on it and makes it harder to handle.

I need flash for dimly lit wedding receptions and what not. Usually in bounce mode with moderately high ISO to get good lighting on the my subject but still pick up some background light. I always gel my flashes to match the color of the light in the room so everything blends.

4. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    Interesting to see you made the swap, John, but can understand the reasoning behind it. When I had both in my grip I noticed the Olympus mode dial was quite loose... anyway, more of a reason to meet up sometime for some shooting! I'm definitely still working my way through a photography learning curve, been shooting mainly on A right now and discovering the joys of the 45 1.8!

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Make sense to me, given your specific needs. I have the G5 and it's a great camera. I use the Panasonic 100-300 on it a lot with great results. Good luck.

6. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Interesting. I've been contemplating trying to sell / trade my GH2 to get my wife an E-PM2 or E-PL5 since she doesn't need the EVF / going the other direction :).

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Did you join over at "Serious Compacts" as well as here? John M. Flores over there is looking at putting together a PA/NJ meetup at some point and will start a dedicated thread on that.

In the meantime, if you're not too far away there's lots of fun to be had at Longwood Gardens and I have a guest pass or two.

8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I waver continually for a second body to my EM-5 and keep returning to having the same model for batteries and chargers; operationally; ability to have my flash on it and viewfinder, too. I almost bit for the E-PL5 this last rebate session and it was those factors that prevented me on the night before rebate ended.

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    When I bought the E-PL5 I already had the VF-2 -- but I wasn't thinking clearly about the need to shoot with it and use flash for the event gigs.

The G5 solves most of that. It will bring it's own set of limitations but every camera I've ever owned had some. It's just that some limitations don't work well for certain circumstances and I should have been thinking more clearly.

I also don't want to keep spending and spending, lol.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've had that problem with the mode dial. Do you know how many videos I have of flowers?:shakehead:

11. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    I did not... Will check into that. I'm about a half hour, maybe less from Longwood. Great place! Had my engagement photos done there

12. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
  13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ha ha! Its a nice thought but those flashes are way, way too weak to do the job at a wedding reception especially trying to bounce them. Built in flashes are, for most of what I do, completely useless I'm afraid.

By the way, I used to own an E-P3 and E-PL1 and never used the built in flash on them once, lol.