I'm sure I do like the GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MedicineMan4040, Sep 2, 2015.

1. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Found this forum seeking primarily a place to sell my GH4 but am thinking as I age mFTs will become more and more important to me. I do feel mFTs is the best compromise of size/weight/IQ--and I can say that owning/using an EOS 6D, 70D, 7Dii but also owning a GM5, GX8, and GH4.
    In the room I'm sitting in there are 13 bodies and 43 lenses, even an Oly OMD M5 mk ii; so I think I can compare them.
    I've only had the GX8 two days but already know it's going to Cost Rica in a couple of months, and for many reasons. Here is own of them; the GX8 with the Venus 2:1 Macro-
    20904095230_926e954565. On Diagonal by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

If you all don't mind I'd like to creat a mFTs home here :)

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Honestly I don't think the folks at FredMiranda will appreciate my thoughts as I go through the paces of the GX8 since they are more Canon/Sony prone, and the guys and gals at
    POTN the same being predominantly Canon users--so I'll post up my thoughts here in case any have an interest. I can say this (hoping some older types here??) that from my first
    camera made out of a shoe-box (pinhole), cameras have come a long way.
    OK this next shot taken within 20 min's of getting the new Lumix out of the box from B&H, but it wasn't without problems. 4-6 shots into the new camera and the EVF goes white-blank
    and NO response from any buttons. On-off didn't help. Only a battery pull solved the problem. This with the Oly 40-150 F2.8. Now I was sitting in direct Sun at 91F and the camera got
    really warm and really fast/not from use; just me sitting their cooking waiting for the bird. After the battery pull I got in the shade and staid there for the shot. Since then nary a problem and
    now up to almost 400 shots out of the new Lumix. So here is my first capture-
    21076864001_69244a3b03. First image Lumix GX8 by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr

• Like Like x 34
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    fantastic image, and I'm glad to hear that you're happy with the GX8.

I'm curious, why do you/did you want to sell your GH4?

• Like Like x 1
  4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Welcome to the site. You really have quite the photographic arsenal.

This is a friendly, helpful group. I was on FM years ago, but when I sold my Canon gear I quit going there. There are all kinds here, from people like me who really enjoys photography, but it isn't my life, to those who are very committed. There are also some very talented photographers here. I think you'll enjoy hanging out here.

5. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Dynasport thanks so much, it's just a shame it took so long to realize there is a m43's forum; that doesn't speak to well on my intelligence level.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Man, you're embarrassing me. It took you less than 20 minutes to get a better image of a hummingbird than I was able to get during a whole week at the cottage...

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It is a fantastic hummingbird picture. You have some great images on your Flick page. I love your Smokies pics and videos, we just spent a week in Townsend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I like to see a photographer who gets an EVF error and some overheating but just keeps on trucking, gets the job done instead of posting a 'catastrophe' thread.
    Welcome to the forum.

13 bodies ... we might be in competition. ;)

9. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Thanks Dornblaster.
    Ulfric I also dabble in the Sony world and far worse has happened than an EVF error :)
    Yet to brick (for long) any camera yet!

• Like Like x 1
  10. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Turbofrog DONT give up and truth be known I've been shooting them all summer with other cameras and one day we did the major flash set up (4 flashes) with the Canon; what I loved about the Lumix hummingbird shot was no flash, high ISO, shooting into a shadow; and that the Oly lens did well on the Lumix body. I know I don't get the 5-axis of the OM-D M5ii the better half uses but someday (I PRAY) Lumix will get us the 100-400g Leico and then I can enjoy 6-axis.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Quite the most fascinating discovery--maybe known to many GX8 owners---and this is something Sony cannot touch!
    What makes this easily possible was something just 30 min's prior an angst of mine=touching the screen with my nose and changing the focus point on the screen :(
    BUT the GX8 has the tilt EVF and that means I can tilt the EVF up so my nose does not touch the screen! and this means I have room for my left thumb to hover over the screen
    and tap the screen ~anywhere on the screen~ to focus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are an elder in this sport then no big deal but if you are young on the tit of photography believe me (my first camera was a pinhole camera made out of a shoe box) this is
    freaking AMAZING.
    Say you are following the bird, the motorcycle; or say you have in focus your target but another target of greater interest enters the frame, on the left edge, you quickly tap it with
    your thumb then release the shutter=wow wow wow!!!.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, the touch-trackpad feature is one of my favourite innovations from Panasonic.

I simply don't understand why Olympus, Panasonic, and Samsung are the only ones truly taking advantage of touch-screens on large sensor cameras. I consider it to be one of Sony's biggest mis-steps with their higher end bodies. Given Fuji's retro propensities I can understand why it's not available there, but if the A7 series had touch-screens they would be significantly better cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I think that there's a stigma to get past in the camera market with touch screens. "Old pros" think that they are just for phones and toys.

I will say though, all of my cameras are touch screen and I pretty rarely use it, so I was happy to find that the GX8 allows me to turn it inward. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point of using that feature, although I don't have anything against it.

14. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, I've noticed that. Whenever someone mentions the lack of a touchscreen on a new camera model as the liability that it is, all the grumbly curmudgeons on DPReview chime in with some sort of "good riddance to bad rubbish!" refrain. As if it hurts you to have an extra feature that can easily be disabled.

It's like complaining if a camera has a Continuous AF function, when all you want to do is shoot with Single AF.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. rud

rud New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2011
    image. I am having a blast with the gx8 as well. Played with 4k photo tonight with balloons a string and my daughter toting a bb gun and a flashlight.

• Like Like x 10
  16. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    As an Olympus user, it's one of the features that has drawn me to consider a GX7 (more than once!).

The E-M10 MKII sees the introduction of the AF trackpad, which can also be enabled/disabled by double tapping the screen (which is handy to avoid the nose issue!) - hopefully we'll see this technology be the standard now and enabled on the E-M5 MKII and future cameras...

17. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    • Like Like x 17
    • Winner Winner x 3
  18. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    OK, I've put it through most all of the paces I can at this time, paces of what I like to shoot=lanscape, widefield astro, moving objects, and macro.
    The GX8 is a WINNER. Compared to the other mFTs that are/or have been in my life it is an amazing progression. Few things left to test=true astrao (nebula),
    and when winter gets here I'll give that a go. Portraiture. Well I don't do portraits nor sports-unless you call a flying bird sports capture. In January I'll give the
    GX8 a reall go at it with flying eagles IF Oly gives up the 300 F4.
    Just a very accomplished camera is the bottom line. I'm a stills guy and as of yet haven't given up the time other than 4K Photo where it again sailed along.
    Tonight the Mrs. enjoyed the Live Composite of the OMD M5ii and I admit it is a super feature that I wish I had. Maybe on my Sony they'll make the Light Trails
    App which is close to Live Composite......alas the GX8 does't have it nor probably ever will......
    But the GX8 loves milk and I was freaking out. I had the GX8 and Sony A7Rii side-by-side; freaking out because the live-what your going to get image (on the
    LCD) showed exactly where my target was and had it all lit up@
    GX8 does Milk.

• Like Like x 15
  19. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Very fine stuff. I need to check out that Venus lens.

I'm starting to think we need a thread just to show 4k stills. Where should be put that thread?

20. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Tried the Tamron 180mm macro today via an el cheapo adapter and the GX8, sad results. It works, had to set the aperture of the Tamron
    using a Canon lens to 3.5 then put it on the adapter and the Lumix. The adapter has a physical dial aperture ring and stopping down gives
    a huge circular vignette on the image--not really impressive in that regard, great image quality and reach but I dont like the vignette.

• Informative Informative x 1