1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I'm still loving the Oly 45mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by m43_user, Jul 14, 2012.

1. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    It's on my camera the most. The 12mm f/2 is great too, for the right scenes.

Full image and then a crop from the 45mm f/1.8 shot at f/5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree, I keep this on one of my cameras most of the time only swapping it out for the 100-300 when I need more length.

3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I'm pretty new to m43 in general and have only had my E-M5 a couple of weeks. Feel I'm just starting to get comfortable with the camera. I think the Oly 45 is a spoiler. It spoils me. It's not surprising it has better IQ than the kit lens, but I'm finding the combination of the E-M5 and 45 retains amazing detail when user error doesn't intervene. Makes me seriously think about the 75mm even though I'm not sure that's a focal length that would fit me very well.

4. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I sure can't find anything wrong with it! If only there was a 24-120mm equiv. zoom lens like this....wow. :)

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

6. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
  7. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    • Like Like x 2
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    So I just got my second 45/1.8 and while I like it (I liked the last one too) am I still think the AF on the 45 is squirrely. It's downright terrible on the E-P1 and alternates between really fast and struggling to lock focus on the GF2. I suppose it could be solely dependent on the camera one is using and I am hoping the GX1 will be a bit better. It's not a significant problem because its easy to give it a nudge with the focus ring and that tends to set things right but I do find it odd.

BTW, I HIGHLY recommend the metal hood from rainbowimaging. It's a screw on hood as opposed to the lock on outer bayonet type, it looks GREAT and suits the lens quite well.

9. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    My thoughts exactly

• Like Like x 1
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm thinking man crush on the 45.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bhupinder2002

Lol Kevin u sold urs and u wanna crush the lens which a fellow forum member adores .. Now that's not a job of a moderator lol . You sound like a terminator lol
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    :rofl::rofl:

12. Bhupinder2002

Thanks you so much for being so accurate .I need to consult my Filipino friends to learn few fancy adjectives for replying to your posts
    .:rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the 45mm? it's okay i guess.....maybe...

(i love it)

14. danoliver1

danoliver1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 21, 2012
    Which lens hood is it exactly?

15. Re: the autofocus. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, using it mostly on the E-PM1, and some on the E-M5 and GH1. On the rare occasion it has missed focus, but it seems to miss it completely so it's easy to tell that it has gone wrong and try again. Other than that the focus speed ranges from fast to very fast, and it even worked well on the E-M5 at night. I don't think that it will get as much use as my PL25/1.4, but then I didn't expect that to be the case with this focal length. I would however struggle to separate the two based on IQ alone.

16. Bhupinder2002

I will second this . I also had few AF issues when it literally refuses to focus on my EPL2 but if u move the camera slightly up or down then refocus and take the shot , that fixes the trouble .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

17. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I agree that this 7565580006_e24a3fc6fc_c.
    W.A. Frost & CO. by CapoDave, on Flickr is not always the best FOV, but the ns takes great pics.
    It was dusk, so no colors in the sky.

• Like Like x 1