I'm sick of dealing with Adobe

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Basically, the thread title says it all. I've been a paying customer for more than 10 years, purchasing several major versions of Lightroom and then switching to Adobe's subscription plan. However, when I subscribed, I was living in Ukraine and used my Ukrainian credit card to pay for subscription.

This card expired last month. I wanted to update my payment details to use my current MasterCard issues by my Irish bank, but I was unable to do this. The support (which is horrible by the way: I had to wait for a long time before finally reaching a competent person) came up with a great solution: create a new account (using a different email address) and sync all photos anew. I will have to download all my photos from the cloud using the Lightroom Downloader app, and then sync it all again with my new account.

Its a great plan of course, and the downloader app does download XMP sidecars along with RAWs. However, it doesn't preserve metadata or albums. I'm not looking forward to recreating my albums and adding keywords to thousands of photos again.

WT21

Super Moderator
How can they not have a way to simply update your credit card? That is crazy -- so many sites I use allow multiple payment options. Bad design on their ecommerce engine.

Sorry to hear of it.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How can they not have a way to simply update your credit card? That is crazy -- so many sites I use allow multiple payment options. Bad design on their ecommerce engine.

Sorry to hear of it.
Apparently it has something to do with taxation (they collect VAT in the EU). But changing the profile region should be as simple as changing one field in the database.

FWIW, I have switched my Apple account region multiple times (Russia - US - Ukraine - Ireland) and all is well.

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Seems strange, those times when my period of validity have expired on my credit cards i have been able to updated my credit card/payment through my account without any problems.

Dont see how taxation would cause problems if you have the right payment and billig info in you account

Real Name
Marc Sitkin
Maybe you can put together an open source solution. Not sure of your needs, but it might be worth exploring the alternatives. I haven't been able to do so myself, but I'm getting closer every year. Take a look at the https://pixls.us/ website for some ideas. Good luck!

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Alas, I need a solution that would work on my iPad Pro, so it seems I'm stuck with Adobe :confused:

ThereAndBackAgain

Fighting GAS
Real Name
David
You, sir, have my fulsome sympathy. I've never been an Adobe user but have been forced to abandon Microsoft since it seems impossible to register a new PC to an Office 365 account. I've spent too much time on Live Chat already and at 66 years old I got to thinking I wouldn't live to see a resolution to the problem.
Mercifully, Apache Open Office works just fine and I now have funds for 2 more pints every month.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I've been sick of dealing with Adobe since the late 1990s when the were buying up as many of their competitors as possible.

I was a happy CyberStudio user until Adobe got their hands on it, renamed it Go Live and wanted serious money for a minor upgrade and a new Adobe Go Live splash screen. Shortly after that they go their hands on Dreamweaver and let Go Live wither and die.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Do you have a PayPal account? Adobe accepts PayPal, so you should use this to pay as there is no expriration date. When you move the next time there will be no issue, you just need to update PayPal on the move, not Adobe.

My friend found himself in the same situation last Thanksgiving when he bought Xbox for his kid which had MS Gamepass subscription for only 3 months included. He didn't know what it meant.
I am sure the kid knew but didn't say anything because then his dear father wouldn't have bought it on account it needs money to be poured in just to play existing games.
Last month when subscription ended the kid could hold him for ransom because by that time the Xbox had turned itself into a $350 YouTube streaming device.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
For a couple of years subscription fees you can replace the ipad pro with something that lets you chose what to run. :doh:

Apple are IMO just as restrictive as Adobe, I won't use either of them.
Eh? It's not a case of Apple restricting anything, it's the case of other software companies neglecting to write iPad apps.

Last edited:

Repp

Mu-43 All-Pro
Right now there isn’t really a good iPad alternative to LR Mobile (which honestly was meh if you were trying to sync it with classic). I cut the adobe cord last week and still haven't found what im going to do for a mobile to desktop workflow. Skylum claims to be working on something, but so did Affinity a few years back... will have to wait and see i guess.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
To extrapolate, my kids hit me up the other day for $80 to be able to play the Xbox games they've already purchased, in online multiplayer mode...

Microsoft can GAGF and my kids can get a job...
The Xbox Live membership is actually the model for how a good subscription service works, not a bad one. The company is transparent about how a lot of that money goes into moderating, and the ability to play games online comes with a responsibility on the part of Microsoft to keep those gaming environments from getting super toxic, harassing and scary. They do a pretty good job. That's one subscription I'm happy to pay for.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Right now there isn’t really a good iPad alternative to LR Mobile (which honestly was meh if you were trying to sync it with classic). I cut the adobe cord last week and still haven't found what im going to do for a mobile to desktop workflow. Skylum claims to be working on something, but so did Affinity a few years back... will have to wait and see i guess.
I'm just a hobbyist and I'm actually very satisfied with Lightroom CC, it does everything I need and at least it runs faster than Lightroom Classic on my Macs. Syncing between Lightroom CC on mobile and desktop is a pretty seamless experience.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am fairly sure this is not only true for iPads, but for tablets in general (with the exception of a full windows surface). For what it's worth, I found LR mobile to be pretty decent. There are a few things I still need to do in the desktop version, but most editing can be done on the go. I'm not happy to pay monthly, but I've kind of lost hope on all the competitors that sprang up with huge promises some time ago. They either were a buggy mess, lacked key features or both and I don't think they have a mobile workflow either.

I'm still kind of hopeful of Affinity, because their Photoshop replacement is really good. I am paying for Photoshop in the bundle, but only use Affinity. But I've not heard much about a LR Replacement coming from them in a long time....

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom