I'm probably nuts but....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dcisive, Mar 10, 2010.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to return my just purchased P1 in for a PL1. The thing is that I really didn't think that flash would be a big deal, but after working with the P1 the other night, I could see that indoors it would be a HUGE deal. I would most likely not even be able to go to a party and if they light wasn't great take pics. That could be a deal breaker. I've seen some exhaustive tests of side by side with the P1,P2 ad PL1 and my eyes are telling me it is sharper (via the supposed lighter AA filter) and without question has less noise at higher ISO's and shows retention of resolution better up at ISO 800 and 1600. I most certainly would NOT be shooting this camera at ISO 6400 so it's a non issue. Also the 1/2000th sec shutter speed limitation could be mitigated by a ND filter or CP filter for what I'd use it for outdoors. All in all I think it's the best thing for me to do. I haven't spoken to other owners of it other than 2 dealers I respect and BOTH have stated emphatically it is faster to lock focus than the previous models. Either way I just think it must be a better move for me. Are there any strong dissenting opinions here?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The Pen1 is a camera really designed for available light. This it does very well. If you need an on board flash, your decision is right. I think as long as your staying with a Pen camera, ya can't go wrong..... go for it and don't look back.
    shooter

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You don't sound nuts at all. It seems that you have thought this through very well. In fact, after reading what you've written, I'm thinking about picking up an E-PL1 :smile:.

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I'll be looking forward to your posts after you get your new E-PL1.

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    dcisive, I love your name... perfectly suits you :biggrin:

You've obviously thought this through carefully - the only thing you'd best prepare for is the difference in... shall we say 'feel quality' because we don't know whether it's actually any less robust than the E-P1 - actually, plastic bounces better than metal so it could be easily as good.

The image quality I've seen is a small incremental step up from the E-P2 so you can't go wrong - as you say, an ND filter could help where you'd need a 1/4000 sec shutter speed.

Cheers

Brian

6. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Well Brian, I'm not trying to patronize you but.....you are basically the "guru of 4/3rd format" as far as I can tell. You are all over the internet, and one of the most respected folks discussing it. I've been at digital since it came on the market basically (remember the old 1.5mp Agfa 1280?) Had numerous P&S and advanced P&S cameras until my first DSLR with the Canon D30. I had 5 successive Canon bodies including a pro model. I then moved to a D200 Nikon, and for some reason took a detour to a E-510 Olympus and their top Zuiko glass. I liked it fine but the noise got to me. I jumped back to Nikon when the D300 came out, and then went with the FF D700 getting one the day of it's release. I have not really looked back. BUT the weight of the D700 for travel can be burdensome. So I have been eying all this activity of the 4/3rd format with great interest. I doubted the noise could satisfy me, but thus far it's in the ballpark from what I've seen.

I admit freely to being a tech head. I've been into electronics and technology for 50 years, so not much gets past me. I even worked in the electronics industry for a good number of years. I also happen to have a recording studio in my home (32 track digital). So I AM very sensitive to technological improvements. From what I've gathered, while the PL1 won't have the all metal body, it's overall interface is sensible, and hopefully will deliver on the slight improvements in focus speed and low noise I've been hearing about from some users I've communicated with. It should be solid enough to please. I do still have the 45-200OIS lens expected to arrive tomorrow, so I'll be in pain waiting for the PL1 to arrive, as it seems my dealer has not gotten their's yet, and their rep is being very quiet as to the promise of when it is to arrive, and wouldn't you know it I'm NOT a patient person. Let's hope it is on it's way to him now, or I'll have no fingernails left :tongue:

I'll be sure to get some decent shots as soon as it arrives and get them posted. The weather is improving here lately and we're on the cusp of spring. Can't wait. I have a wonderful week long trip in May coming up the last week before Memorial day. We are heading up to the Northwest through the mountains of Washington, staying on the largest of the San Juan Islands, then driving through the North Cascades staying at a mountain resort. From there to Northern Idaho on a lake and on to Sun Valley. There will be a ton of shots to be taken needless to say. I just want something that will it justice. I KNOW the D700 would as it did last year but I want something light to get the job done this time. Wish me luck..........

7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'll be interested to hear how it handles, I believe that changing aperture/shutter speed is by pressing buttons. This could suit me better than the wheels and dials on the other Pens (and G1 for that matter) which I have difficulty using due to a physical condition. Good luck and I hope it arrives soon. :smile:

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

dcsive, that trip you're planning sounds fantastic and there will be quite a few of us here waiting in great expectation to see your photos with this new E-PL1. But we'll take some local shots, if it gets to you in time and you haven't chewed off all your finger nails.:wink:

John, goldenlight, good point - I can easily see how the lack of dials might be welcomed by many.