I'm pre-ordering an E-PL2

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
my dealer is visiting with his Olympus rep at the CES show this Thursday and will find out when I can expect to take delivery of the new PL2. With all of it's improvements it became a no brainer move. The controls of the P series with improvements in the sensor sensitivity, lens will be the new MSC version and hopefully optically improved as well. The new high rez 3" screen isn't a bad deal either. I'll be sure and post my expected delivery day. From what I've read it should be by 1st week in February. We'll see......

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I'm supposed to talk to him on MOnday when he gets back from the CES show with the Price and Delivery Dates. Until then I can't help ya, but I'm going forward blind I feel that good about it. You can BET I'll be posting some shots once I get my hot little hands on it. Needless to say a VF-2 will go with the order. What a sweet combo :tongue:

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I saw some pics today that indicate the epl2 is gonna have a single rear control ring, similar to the lower one on the ep1 and ep2. That would remove any doubts for me about that camera, if I was in the market for one. The ONLY thing I didn't like about the epl1 was the use of buttons for EVERYthing. But the second dial on my ep2 rarely gets any use - I'm more than happy with one and this appears to have it. With that, the faster shutter speed, the somewhat improved sensor, the ability to use a cable release, I don't really see anyway that this camera isn't every bit as nice as an ep2 (except perhaps in the aesthetics department, if that matters to you). Looks like a good entry level cam for them.

Now, can't wait to see what the ep3 is gonna be. Maybe some of that GF2 faster AF action and I'd seriously think about upgrading. Combine that with an articulating LCD and I'm all over it.

-Ray

linkedit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I saw some pics today that indicate the epl2 is gonna have a single rear control ring, similar to the lower one on the ep1 and ep2.

Seems like they are bringing the PL series camera to the level of the E-P2. Which makes me wonder what they have in store for the E-P3.

Do you have a link to those pics you saw?

carpandean

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I saw some pics today that indicate the epl2 is gonna have a single rear control ring, similar to the lower one on the ep1 and ep2. That would remove any doubts for me about that camera, if I was in the market for one.
I might seriously have to take a look at the E-PL2 if that's true. There are at least three places locally that stock the E-PL1 (no other :43: are stocked), so perhaps I will be able to hold one at some point soon.

akulya

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm fully aware that speculation is pointless; but my is it fun

As a long time E-P1 user, i'm feeling ready for an upgrade - I prefer the form the rangefinder style bodies, and can live without an EFV; but would really like that GH2 sensor/AF speed.
Although I really like IBIS, I might be willing to forgo it if a body appears in the gf/pen form using the GH2 sensor. And honestly, if it came bundled with a wide prime, I'd be all over it like a rash.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator

Nehda

New to Mu-43
If price didn't matter

If price didn't matter, what's a really good reason to go for the EPl2 over teh GH2?

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
probably just the form factor? it's "sexy".

i would love one if i knew it wasn't mad gear fever. I thought a new kit lens would be great if it was fast focusing, and with higher iso capability (whether it is good or not is yet to be seen) would make it a decent step up from the e-pl1.

my only criticism is the design of the flash. it looks a little more flimsy than previously - as it doesn't sit in-body compared to the old design. it looks a little more "knock-able"

other than that, it looks hawt!

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If price didn't matter, what's a really good reason to go for the EPl2 over teh GH2?

IBIS (in body image stabilization) -- feature of the Olympus line, but Panasonic does image stabilization in lens (which is technically better, but doesn't help with legacy lenses).

JoeFriday

Mu-43 Regular
whoa... how about that XZ-1! I was thinking about getting a Canon S95, but the Oly looks like a step up... I wonder how much it'll cost compared to the $499 MSRP

Red Leader

Mu-43 Rookie
Just saw the dpreview preview of this camera...

Olympus E-PL2 announced and previewed: Digital Photography Review

Everything looks great (except maybe the menus:) ) I think this article as well as a Wired article referenced a $599 price. Here is that article:

Next-Gen Olympus Pen Hits the Micro Four Thirds Sweet Spot | Product Reviews | Wired.com

I was really interested in the E-PL1 but concerned about the AF speed. The dpreview article hints at some major improvements Olympus made to this area.

I'm pretty excited to find out what dealers are going to have pre-order up because I think I'm going to take the plunge! Whoohoo!

Latest threads

Top Bottom