I'm official! got my E-PL1 today

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by speedandstyle, Apr 4, 2012.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I got my E-PL1 and lenses today{see my new sig}. I have the battery on the charger so have not had a chance to put it through the paces yet. I did check to make sure it powered up and both lenses worked but otherwise nothing else, well I did set the time. The shutter button is very sensitive! I am used to my Nikons that have a solid click feel for AF halfway. I love the size and weight! I was a bit afraid that it would be a bit too small - I hate compact P&S cameras! Now to get a good Nikon F adaptor and more native lenses.

M4/3 rocks! :yahoo:
    • Like Like x 5
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Welcome to the tribe
  3. bedojo

bedojo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2011
    congratz, now try not to purchase a 12mm f2.0, 20mm f1.7, 25mm f1.4, 45mm f 1.8 :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Congrats!! Looking forward to seeing photos from it!
  5. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    Welcome! You will love that camera! It was my first, and the pics are great! Enjoy!
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Unfortunately the E-PL1 shutter button is more squish-click than click-click, but is still nowhere near as 'orribly squishy as the Canon G-series shutter buttons.
  7. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    congrats! coming from a dslr... jumping into the m43 tribe... feels so liberating. fun in photography is back. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  8. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Dude!! you got the wrong camera, its too old!

PS: Enjoy it
    • Like Like x 1
  9. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hahaha! :rofl:

Enjoy your "new" camera!!!! (I don't even have one at present :frown:)

Welcome to the forum! :confused: But you already have 368 posts!!! :2thumbs:
  10. speedandstyle

Thanx all!

I got to play with it a little bit and overall like it. I have accidentally recorded several movies however as my thumb bumps the REC button.:doh: I love the art filters except there are too few of them. The menus seem so foreign to me cause I am so used to my Nikons but they don't seem complicated just different. I have mixed feelings on the kit lenses however. They are very limited in low light due to their slow apertures and manual focusing is horrible. The white balance seems off to me and it is different from what I am used to. The auto balance works fine most of the time however. I will post up some pictures soon.
  11. speedandstyle

I joined the forum a while back to find out more about m43 and the different models. I was going to buy one several months ago but decided I had to have the new E-M5 but I went ahead and got this because i couldn't wait any longer!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's my LCD on/off button. Good for saving batteries.
  13. speedandstyle

Are you saying you reassigned that button? Can it be done? How?
  14. goodsonr

goodsonr Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2011
    as per your manual....

If you don't already have the custom menu on .. then ...

menu -> menu display -> on (turns on the "sprockets")

menu -> sprockets -> button -> .. assign functions to REC and FN buttons as you desire.

I too am a new E-PL1 user. From Ned's suggestion, I have the record button as "back-button AF" during manual focus, and assigned the function button to LCD on/off.
  15. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Don't know how much you know about the E-PL1...

but the menus and interface drove me nuts.

I found the Olympus Pen E-PL1 for Dummies book very helpful.

Activating the Super Control Panel will help tremendously with simplifying the interface.

Learning how to use a smaller focus box will increase the chances of locking focus on something. Autofocus is not great with this camera.

HOWEVER, I love the color and clarity of the images - I prefer to keep my color on IEnhance, for real pop.

With all my other digital cameras, and there have been many, I use a nostalgic or neutral color setting, but IEnhance on the E-PL1 I found very pleasing.

Enjoy you new camera.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I would also suggest that you activate the Super Control Panel - it makes everything far easier. I also re-assigned the video record button to LCD on/off. Regarding the filters, providing you have the RAW files, if you download the latest version of Olympus Viewer 2 you have the option of applying the more recent filters such as Dramatic Tone etc.
  17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's quite easy

Menu -> Gears -> Button -> Record Button Function

The menu option above this also allows you to assign the Fn button.

BTW, if you don't see the "Gears" menu, go to the "Wrench" menu and set the gears menu display to on.
  18. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks for mentioning applying more recent filters with Olympus Viewer 2. I didn't know that!

The Dramatic Tone filter makes some pretty attractive images.

19. speedandstyle

Thanks for the replies on how to reassign the button. I did go and look through my manual after my last post and found that you had to turn on the extra "gears" button and then that gives the button assign mode. With that solved I am much happier. The camera is much simpler than I am used to but for what I will use this for that is best. My plan is to use this for those times when I need a camera but don't want to carry a DSLR{which I may get rid of altogether after I get an E-M5}. This camera may also be used by family and friends who are less knowledgeable than I{photgraphy wise at least}, so it's simple interface will be much easier for them.

Now what lens{es} to get next?
  20. speedandstyle

I have photoshop and lightroom so I can easily play with RAW or even basic JPEGs. I just thought the in camera art filters were neat but there are just a handful. I know newer/higher end models have more.