1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'm now all in for Micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dougjgreen, Jun 28, 2013.

1. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I just sold 2 of my 3 Nikon bodies. Last week, I sold my Kodak DCS760, which is really a digital Nikon F5. And today, I just bid goodbye to my Nikon D90. The only Nikon body I'm keeping is a D50 - because selling it would get me less than $100, and mine has been modified with a ground-glass + split image screen for manually focusing legacy lenses. Now, more than half of my Nikon AF lenses are also on ebay.

On a positive note - it appears that I'm going to get more money from the Nikon gear that I've sold or am in the process of selling, than I will have spent on Micro 4/3 gear.

2. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Doug, I also unloaded all of my Nikon equipment for my EM-5 and I really have no regrets for doing it. The big thing is not having to carry all of that weight around, and the quality of my images are great.

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    My trusty D40 was quite long in the tooth, but I also ditched it entirely a few weeks ago for this works that is m43! I think this system's best bet is people just like us, who are addicted to the control and superior imaging of a DSLR, but have grown weary of the heft and negative attitude of some (plebian) people towards those cameras.

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I'm another full convert - unloaded my 5DIII and lenses a couple months back - have yet to find myself regretting the decision :) It's nice having a complete system that is smaller and weighs about the same as the DSLR body itself.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Doug... with that amazing G5 you just got (virtually new) you won't need much else! :wink:

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Me too, just unloaded everything a couple of months ago. So far loving the m43 system and I already added a new body (E-PM2).

I never regretted the decision but I do miss AF-C badly :redface: Other than that this system is golden:2thumbs:

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I didn't have a DSLR, but I did sell a Canon P&S and a little Toshiba camcorder that paid for about half of my G5. Well worth the trade, IMO. :)

8. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Had a Canon 60d and 7d, lenses and a few canon flashes. Initially sold the 60d and those lenses I thought I could live without and a couple of flashes to fund the purchase of the OMD. Kept the 7d, 2 lenses and 2 flashes.

Loved the image quality of the OMD and when I went to pick up my 7d I just found it waaaay to large and heavy and knew I wouldn't be using it much anymore so decided to sell it also.

I have purchased a good kit of m43 gear and still have a little coin left after selling all my canon gear. I'm very pleased with my new system. And so far have no regrets.

9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Me too

In April I parted company with my D700 kit and now have a great OMD kit (still also have my X100).

I am delighted with my OMD kit, smaller, lighter yet delivers great results.

Below is my current OMD kit - still want the 12mm but have to save for that one!

Olympus_kit.

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    While the G5 I bought from you is my main M4/3 body, it's not my only one - I also got an Oly E-PL2 that is my backup, and for use when I need IBIS. I've never invested in a system where I did not buy at least 2 bodies - not that I need to necessarily carry both of them at once.

I also own a GF3, that basically came for free with a 14mm lens, that I'm trying to sell, but won't if I can't get at least $90 for it.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I agree... having at least two bodies, even better- three, is a very smart idea.

I was recently looking at some street photography I did with the G5, at ISO 2000, around dusk, and the images are so beautifully clean with so little noise. It seems to have lower high ISO noise than the Olys with the Sony sensor have. Awesome sensor and processing in the G5.

And I also agree in having at least one body with IBIS for non stabilized lenses under lower light level situations. Sounds like you are well situated, being all-in for m4/3! :smile: