1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I'm not the first to sell all their FF equipment and go mirror less

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Photorebel, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
  2. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Well I sold off all my APS-C Canon bodies and lenses to go mirrorless. The driving factor was to go lighter and smaller but it was a pleasant surprise to find out I hadn't given up any sharpness or IQ.,

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I actually just went back to 'full-frame' - with a sexy 'new' Pentax MX :smile:

In all seriousness though, I've always shot cropped sensors and have found 4:3rds to be a good balance of all the important stuff. I've had lots of chances to play with friend's 5D/D700/800's and have managed to avoid penis envy. That said, I think I might collect a second-hand RX1r in a year or so - I do love the look of a fast 35mm.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I ditched my 5D Mark II and a bag full of L lenses for my OM-D. No regrets. :)

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Me too. And every time I pick up a 5d or any of the L lenses, I know even more that it was the right decision.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I tossed mah iPhone and S90 for M43. No regrets but no need to be "exclusive" either. I love APS-C, FF and, if I could afford it, I'd shoot MF too. The more the merrier!

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have a Sigma 20-40mm f2.8 that I place next to my Rokinon 85mm f1.4 and the size difference reminds me of the reason that I love :43:. No going back for me!

8. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Hello, my name is Jim and I am a Nikon addict . . . . . I admit it. Having 3 Nikon bodies and over 25 Nikkor lenses I only wish it was that easy.... Thank you for letting me join your group here, but it looks like it is going to be a full 12 step program for me.

My 1st step in the transition was buying a EM-5 last year with kit zoom and 2 Panny pancake lenses.

Step 2 was the addition of some great Oly primes lenses, the 12mm and 45.

Step 3 and 4 was buying the Oly 75mm. (It is so good, it deserves 2 steps)

Step 5 was taking only my M4/3 gear, and not taking any Nikon gear, to Thailand for my annual trip, 1st time ever.

I regressed right after the Thailand trip a bit, as the AF of the Panny 20mm 1.7 so sucked in evening light that I bought 5 more Nikkor manual prime lenses.

Step 6, I maintained my recovery and sold all my Nikkor DX lenses. Going through a short withdrawl, I bought the Oly 17mm f/1.8, a big help.

Step 7, The Nikon DF was announced, it was very hard, but I was able to resist the temptations of that sultry bi_ch.

Step 8, I purchased the OM-1, it arrived yesterday. The Nikon DF is not even a memory any more. But, please, no comments right now about "Pure Photography" OK?

Now at Step 9 I plan on putting up for sale one Nikon body and all Nikkor zooms. That still leaves me with a D700, D800 and 17 Nikkor primes. The MF Nikkors are so beautiful, small, built like tanks, with aperture rings and they work great on my OMD's with an adapter, do I have to sell them to maintain my transition?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm actually reinvesting back into my Nikon FX gear. Good lenses are cheaper, I prefer an optical VF and top level C-AF is still best on pro/prosumer bodies (D4/D800).

10. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I like the new avatar. ^

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haha, I've been Manga'fied!

12. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    In my case, I had a lot of expensive (for my budget) gear..sitting around…and I have done a few Sr portraits, some family portraits..assisted on one wedding this year. But..I just wasn't enjoying photography. But the more I shot with EM1…the more I enjoyed it. So I've sold all my gear, except..for a newer 6D..which I returned. And my "focus" is on just enjoying the art of photography and becoming a better photographer. Maybe I'll make money later on doing this, or maybe not. If I find I need FF dslr for a job, like the person above, I'll just rent it.
    The OM system…has brought back..the fun to shoot feelings for me. And I'm very happy with the IQ. So for me…it's just a time to enjoy and love the art of photography, and the OM equipment just fits my needs perfectly.

13. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I still kick around a 5D + 50mm f1.4 + a weird Sigma 24-70 f2.8-4 kit lens. Occasionally I bring them out to play... but never as my carry around everyday camera. honestly I use my film cameras more than the full frame DSLR.

The IBIS + sharp-wide-open µ4/3 lenses have me spoiled, I'd rather have a sharp µ4/3 25mm @ f2.8 than a sharp canon 50mm @ f5.6 :wink:

14. TransientEye

TransientEye Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2013
    Barcelona
    Mark
    I don't know about this.

It was a GF1 with 20mm and 14-45mm that re-ignited my interest in photography (well, that and several months in Japan...). But despite now having upgraded to en E-M5, I still much prefer the DOF control and quality of the 5DIII with a fast prime lens.

Currently, I use both systems and pick which ever makes most sense for the task at hand. What would change this would be some no-compromise faster primes for u4/3, with weather sealing and AF.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    There are a lot of people who use both systems, and it meets their needs quite nicely. I realize there are some who will never leave FF, or go back to it. I'm just glad we have choices.

16. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Well, Jim, that's quite a story.
    I'd recommend keeping your 105mm and a macro or two.
    Heck, you may have spurred me to re-acquire a few MF Nikkors.

17. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    It is not like getting married . You don't have to forsake your Canon to love your Oly. There are many big differences.

18. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I agree.
    And leaving one system..is not like getting divorced. Nothing wrong with using both systems.

19. Ginny

Ginny New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2013
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    I will put my D600 with few lenses on Ebay as soon as I receive EM-1 & 12-40mm from B&H. Same here as I don't want to carry around the heavy stuff.

20. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Seems you like Macro. If so I highly recommend the 55mm AIS f/2.8 Micro Nikkor and the PK-13 extension tube. I bought both mine in Demo condition in a box for $240! It works great on the OMD with an adapter. Right now I am using this set with the ES-1 slide adapter and my D700 to digitize my 10,000 slide collection from the 80's and 90's. Way quicker than any slide scanner. Haven't tried the slide adapter yet on the OMD, but plan to, just have to work out the extension tube distance to make it 1:1 with the OMD.

• Like Like x 1