1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'm not sure I like the GX8

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pdk42, Aug 30, 2015.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I played with a GX8 in Jessops (UK) today. Whatever its IQ etc, I just didn't gel with its feel. It's definitely too big for a start - it even felt bigger than the A7 I also played with - and those chrome dials on top just looked all wrong to me. It's probably a completely personal thing and I'm sure many will violently disagree with me, but there it is!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gfspencer

gfspencer Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    North Carolina
    The GX8 is definitely bigger than my GX7 but I think I'm going to like it. I have a Canon 6D. I put the GX8 beside the 6D and they are close.

3. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Real world performance is amazing, and is small compared to D7XXX series of cameras. 4K is amazing. But cameras are personal tools and to each his/her own.

4. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    I love mine. It's easily my favorite of all the cameras I've owned.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'll probably just get a second gx7.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The LX100 is a nice companion for either GX.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Any GX7 owners who can bring a comparison to the GX8?

8. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    tkbsic Sorry to change subject but how do like the GX7 view finder,I'm thinking about getting a left over body when i sell off my EM5.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The A7 is a little smaller than my EM10 with the ECG1 grip, which is about perfect for my taste. So if the GX8 is comparable to that, it's about perfect. Yet to see one in a shop though.

10. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    When it first arrived I was displeased at how blocky it felt to hold, hard edges compared to the X100. I've acclimated already and love it.

• Like Like x 5
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I suspect this is the path of joy. It's a very different body and needs some acclimation. It won't work for everyone, but it is the problem with just holding in the camera store.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like the GX8 design a lot. Looks especially nice with the PL15.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sounds like the perfect size, thanks! I'm keeping the GX8 in mind just in case one of my cameras breaks down over the next few years.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    GX8 gives me two important improvements over my pair of GX7s, an articulated EVF and a bigger battery, but the relatively monstrous size (on paper) is a concern. I'm looking forward to handling one in person.

15. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Just curious how old you are? The "chrome dials" are very retro and were one of the features that made it so desirable to me!

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It is very interesting to see it side-by-side the Fuji X100 with the PL15 attached. I think that the design is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, it is interesting.

The GX8 is a bit larger on paper, but it looks very similar in real life, and I don't think I've heard anyone complaining about the X100's size.

18. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    I am also still on the fence. I received mine yesterday. Compared to the GX7, it's just really large. The control layout is off-putting to me, but maybe just because I'm so in-tune with the GX7. On-Off switch is oddly placed, maybe people were accidentally thumbing the GX7 off, but I am not finding that switch to be intuitively placed. The shutter release is also a problem for me since I can no longer keep hand position and easily fire it with my thumb in portrait shots. I also find the EV and mode double dial a little awkward and would rather they be swapped, if I have to have two dials. Even better would be if they had just ditched the EV comp.

Lastly, I think that I experienced what some people call "tearing" with it when I first turned it on. I know this was a complaint on the GX7, but I never noticed it. On the GX8, I turned it on, looked through the EVF and panned across my kitchen table and the whole image went choppy with wobbly edges. That was also with the new 12-35, so I don't know if it is related to the OIS or something with the camera settings.

I haven't gotten a chance to experiment with it. I want to give it a few weeks before I decide if I don't like it, or if I'm just old and hate change.

19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The rainbow image tearing is specifically a product of the technology used on the GX7 (and the Leica Q EVF, coincidentally) which is called field sequential. It means that rather than having individual RGB pixels to make up the coloured pixels in the EVF, each individual pixel flashes very rapidly between R, G, and B in the correct ratio to display the colour for the human eye which has persistence of vision.

Long story short, the GX8 has an OLED display that uses individual RGB pixels, so while you may have experienced some display artifact, it won't be the same one that troubles some GX7 users.

20. AcridSaint

AcridSaint Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    North Carolina
    Fair enough. Not sure what it was yet, but nothing that I had experienced before on the GX7. Really disorienting. Not that I do a lot of panning when looking through the viewfinder, but hopefully that's not a regular habit of my camera.

One thing that I like a lot is that you can completely turn off the screen by turning it to the protection side and then easily flip it out for showing images to subjects while shooting.