1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I'm new. Tell me all your secrets...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by bumblebee, Jan 20, 2014.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    ...your photography secrets, that is. Although, if you'd like to tell me something a little more dark and personal, I wouldn't object. I love getting the inside scoop!

I'm a Vancouver-based, twenty-something-year-old artist who is practically new to photography and micro 4/3. I've always been a pencil, paint and paper kind of girl, dabbling in some digital illustration every now and then. For years I've avoided getting into photography for many reasons, some of them being that:

1. It takes time to learn what you're doing
    2. If I got really into it I knew I'd start hemorrhaging money
    3. It's a hard art to get used to for someone like me who unrealistically expects to be decent at it right away!
    I recently bought an Olympus EPM2 because it was time to upgrade my 8-year-old Canon point-and-shoot, and now with a real-world career (and real-world money!) I've decided that I could once again try to slowly start myself off into photography. I have some general basics under my belt from my teenage years, fiddling around with a film SLR, but after some research I decided that micro 4/3 was the system for me. I plan on travelling with my camera so both portability and quality are important.

I'm looking forward to learning and growing with my new camera!

Oh, and my secret is that I put food back on my partner's plate after it has fallen on the floor, even though he is really picky about this. It's okay, he hasn't gotten sick yet.

• Like Like x 5
  2. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Simplify

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's ok to borrow perspectives from a photo you like :)
    composition is everything.
    less is more.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Welcome to the forum.

I can`t draw for squat, which is apart of why I photograph. So I`m already jealous, a bit.:)

As for secrets. There`s no secret in photography. Only denial. The secret is always the same. Start with an idea of what you want an image to say and work backwards from there.

Enjoy your camera and your images,

Gordon

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum!

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Move up, down, backward or forward, side to side or whatever you need to do, because perspective is important. Shoot RAW most of the time. Primes are more flexible than zooms (think in terms of controlling depth of field rather than zooming in and out). Tripod is not a dirty word.

• Like Like x 1
  7. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Embrace the light, it is what paints the picture.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Welcome aboard.... Vancouver local here as well :)

My tip to share would be something I read once.... Good photographer's are masters of there tools & composition, but Great photographers are masters of light.

EDIT: yakky beat me to it, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Go forth and shoot.

10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Photography is about nothing but light and things. Or, more to the point, it's about when light runs into things.

Understand this and you'll be awesome :smile:

(welcome)

• Like Like x 3
  11. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    My own personal slant: pick up a vintage manual lens to learn with. When you control the aperture and focus yourself, you really learn what aperture and focus do to a photograph. It also slows you down and makes you think about the shot that you're taking. Valuable lessons.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bumblebee

bumblebee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks for the warm welcome and words of advice, folks! I can tell this is a good place to be :)

13. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Bumblebee!

Glad you decided to join the forum.

I was last in Vancouver in 2006 at the aquarium, where I used my first ever DSLR, a Nikon D70S. What a neat place!

My only secret to helping you improve your photography is...don't ever, EVER shoot like I do...:biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

14. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Hi there bee.

Secrets?

Gather your photons while ye may. :wink:

15. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Photograph what interests you, what turns you on.

16. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    I'm not supposed to eat cheese, but I do. Shhh! - Don't tell my doctor.

Say hello to my daughter - she lives in Vancouver, skinny little thing, blonde, early 30s, teaches yoga and is a Phd something or other at BC Uni. If it's sunny you'll find her hanging out at Jericho. goes by the name of Peanut but that's just what I call her :smile:

Photography? Yeah 4/3 is a great little system, I only got into it myself just a month or so back, been using big clumsy DSLRs for years but decided to go for something smaller so bought an Olympus E-PL5, loving it so far. I can't wait to get out and give it a proper workout, but our weather here in the UK has been abysmal for the last couple of months - plus I've been doing some heavy DIY on the house.......but it'll soon be playtime :biggrin:

Let's see some pics from your camera - I'd give you some tips but I'm the worst photographer ever!

D

17. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Get closer to your subject.

No, no, really close.

18. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum, bumblebee - great intro post! :smile:

Regarding your secret, how long have the food items usually been on the floor before you put them back on your partner's plate (i.e., scientifically-proven 5 second rule)? Also, did you consider incubation periods (he may not be out of the woods just yet!)? :eek:

19. bumblebee

bumblebee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2014
    Vancouver, BC
    Glad you liked the aquarium! It's always been a childhood favourite of mine and I never get tired of it. I'll definitely have to bring my camera next time I go. How do you shoot?

Hey I don't blame you -- I'd be sneaking cheese too if I wasn't supposed to have it. Small world -- I work at the university and have been taught yoga by a few 30-something looking petite blondes...chances are I've already said hello! I'll certainly post some pics once I get a chance, although probably in some of the sample pic threads :wink:

I'm trying this out on my dog and I really think he's had enough of it. He's resorted to attempting to lick the lens on a few occasions...

Haha! Never very long -- usually within 5 seconds. He's just the kind of person that would toss something to the dog even if it fell on the coffee table, so I've just been secretly making up for all of that. Gotta build up that immune resistance since he won't do it himself!

20. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    We were there coming back from an Alaskan cruise, on our way to see one of my kids who's with the U.S. Navy in Bremerton Wa. I used a Nikon 18-55 on the D70S at the aquarium; these days I've unloaded the Nikon kit and segued into an Olympus E-M5 with an assortment of lenses. My "go to" lens is a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, mounted on the E-M5 without the grip. Makes for a very light kit and handles some of the dimly lighted display areas very well. To get in closer to the inhabitants I have the 45mm to use in low light but generally the 20mm rules the day. (I don't have a 75mm, it's beyond my checkbook's reach but I can see that it would do well in an aquarium setting!).

The Detroit Zoo aquarium is a wonderful place but I won't see it again until Spring...if Spring ever arrives :wink:. I am NOT an inclement weather shooter.

Regards,

Jim