I'm new here! Please help!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Shibapup, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Shibapup

Shibapup New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2012
    Hi, I have been having an issue with my new Olympus EM-5 and I can't seem to find an answer for it. I know this camera is really good and is suppose to be world-leading in focusing, but I don't know how to use the auto-focus mode. I like to take lots of photos of my puppies - usually in some sort of action mode. I've tried them all and still cannot get a perfectly focus shot. The manual isn't much help as I don't understand it. I've used the DIS, sports, and children mode and the result would be blurred. Even when I'm shooting a still subject, the background would be in focus and the subject wouldn't be. I've experimented with the touch-screen focusing and I'm not sure what changing size differences of the focus square is or what it does, because I can't tell. I hope I haven't wasted my money on this camera so I would greatly appreciate if someone has all the answers to my problems. Thank you in advance.
  2. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    First off, welcome. Second, this would probably get a lot more visibility in the Olympus forum -- perhaps a mod can move it there?

There could be several things going on here. Perhaps the AF point isn't selected properly. It could be that you are getting motion blur because of slow shutter speeds and not missed focus. Are you using flash?

Can you post a few shots so we can see the problem? That might help diagnose the issue.
  3. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    your not alone. I`m in exactly the same boat. Although with trail and error. I am getting some good/ ok shots. But I still can`t say how. I even brought the the oly. 45mm lens.
    but was still getting out of focus shots. Like you I don`t know much about the focus modes, still don`t understand what metering is or how I should set it, etc. but am slowing picking it up from here. when I have the time. I`ve even thought that my OMD was a lemon, then I`d get a nice shot.
  4. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    In addition to posting a photo, here's something else to look at. Press the playback button on the camera and look at one of your badly focused photos. Press the info button so you get an image with settings, historgrams, and other info along side the photo. Now, look at the photo itself, and you should see a small green box somewhere on the photo. This is the area the camera used to set the focus. If it's not on your target, but somewhere on the background, then that's your problem. (I almost always leave my camera set to focus on a single small region in the center of the frame.) And if you can't find that box, then the camera might be in manual focus mode, rather than autofocus.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pr549f2678

pr549f2678 New to Mu-43

Aug 11, 2012

Thanks for that info, I needed that and found out mine was on manual.