1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'm jonesing for a 25mm..... Oly/1.8 vs Pany/1.4 opinions??????

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Rum Maximus, May 20, 2015.

1. Rum Maximus

Rum Maximus Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2013
    LV, NV
    Mattimus
    Hell, I should just do a poll... :dance2:

I've read through all the image threads, the discussions on the merits of the Oly 25/1.7 & the Pany 25/14, the internet blog posts (Steve Huff and all the rest...) but I'm still tossed up between the Oly/1.8 vs Pany/1.4 so I am putting it out the the masses: why should I buy one over the other if $$$ isn't an issue?

Camera(s) used would be either a E-PL5 or an E-M10.

Ready..... GO!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It will honestly be personal preference. They are both excellent lenses. Some people like the rendering of one over the other, while others appreciate the size of one over the other.

My biggest piece of advice is to rent both for a weekend and see which one makes you the happiest. I absolutely love the Olympus 25/1.8, but that is just me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I love the PL25, but if I were to pick today, I'd probably get the Oly for the size. But if that isn't a priority, then the Panasonic edges out. It basically reiterates gryphon1911's point on personal preference :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Subsonic

Subsonic Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2013
    Chicagoland
    Chris
    I just went through this a few months back and ended up with the Olympus 25mm. The reasons why are as follows:

1. Smaller, especially in the bag. The non-reversing hood on the PL25 means one full space in the bag rather than the 1/2 space the Oly 25 takes. I can stack the 25 & 45 on top of each other in one compartment in my bag and still have room for my 3 zooms.

2. Cheaper. Not by a lot, but every little bit counts.

Image quality didn't come into play, they both look great. My lack of skills is a far greater hinderance than the quality of the glass. Also aperture didn't matter either. 1.8 vs. 1.4 is a negligible difference. If it was 2.8 vs. 1.4, then yea, big difference, but not really the case here.

Hope this helps, and good luck! Whatever you end up with rest assured will be a great tool no doubt!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    You have a couple larger cameras so the 25 will probably fit on either just fine. If you have a GM1, however, the f1.4 a 200g will be just as heavy as the camera and too big to hold comfortably. It's a wider diameter at the base than adapted lenses which, again, for your cameras should be fine but not for the smallest m4/3s cameras. All of this, however, would go away with the smaller size and weight of the f1.8. Prices are around $300 too whereas the f1.4 is around $450.

For you I don't see a big advantage to the aperture because your 45 will give you betterly blurred backgrounds and your 20 will be better in low-light handheld anyway.
    Clipboard01.

6. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    It's a topic that has been discussed...extensively. If you are really still undecided flip a coin and get it over with or try them both.

Reasons for PL25:
    Rendition
    Faster aperture, and all that follows

Reasons for Oly25:
    Rendition
    Size/weight
    Closer focus
    Cheaper

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I don't think one's particularly better than the other, so buy whatever's the cheapest on the day you buy.

8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I’d classify the Panasonic Leica f/1.4 as the ultimate and the Olympus f/1.8 as outstanding. If you are not making large prints then you may never notice the difference between the lenses.

I’d let cost and size dictate which I purchased, unless shooting professionally where every little of IQ bit can be beneficial. The $200 difference in price might better be used elsewhere.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Now show them with their hoods!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118359258@N03/12703023094/

• Like Like x 1
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is one of those where you can't go wrong. Size of lens, f1.4 vs f1.8 and price are really the only worthwhile comparisons to make.

I was going back and forth and stumbled on an amazing deal for the Olympus so that's the one I have. Admittedly I do feel like maybe I left a little on the table by not getting the faster lens. But I also enjoy the compact size and the savings left enough in the budget to allow me to upgrade another part of my kit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I like the extra half stop of the Pany but that is pretty much the only advantage. I bought it with speed and IQ in mind but after seeing some really nice renders from the Oly, I guess the speed advantage is all I have. :crying: I seem to only use the 25 for interiors now anyway.

If that half stop is not a big deal for you, I'd say go with the Oly.

12. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Personally, I bought the O25/1.8. They're both great lenses but...

Olympus advantages:
    - Smaller
    - Lighter
    - Cheaper ($400 vs $600) **B&H price
    - Sharper in the edges
    - Slightly faster AF
    - Less CA on Olympus bodies

The Panasonic advantages are:
    - Slightly faster aperture (for me, the extra 2/3 stop advantage here is not in the amount of bokeh which is hardly noticeable but rather in low light situations)

Subjectively, some people say that it renders a bit better. Maybe it does, but the differences aren't staggering and I'd wager money on anyone to pick out consistently (at least 7 out of 10 times), which image was shot with the P25 over the O25 with images taken by another photographer, especially if those images were post processed.

Also of note, but not a advantage or disadvantage is that the O25/1.8 gives a slightly wider FoV than the P25/1.4. Which one is more accurate to a 50mm focal length? No idea since I haven't tested a variety of a 50s at the same time.

Given all that plus the fact that I receive an additional 10~15% off all Olympus lenses, it was a no brainer for me. Slightly OT, but I think the choice between the O17/1.8 and P15/1.7 is a much harder choice. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    What everyone says, pick on what's important to you out of things like size, weight, price.

I've got both and I really only use the Oly these days. The only thing I can add to what's been said by others is that I find the Pany renders colours slightly cooler than the Oly, and I like the Olympus colours. All my other lenses are Olympus and I can never get the colours from shots with the Pany to quite match the way the Olympus lenses render colour. I'm really happy with the Oly 25 in this regard, which is why I keep using it in preference to the Pany. Strangely though, when I look at shots taken by others in the Pany 25mm image thread, I never think the colours in other people's images look slightly cool the way they do in my shots from that lens. It may well be a combination of my exposure and processing practices. It's a small difference, it doesn't seem to be an issue for others but it just annoys me. I wouldn't tell people not to get the Pany because of this because it seems to work very nicely for most people.

I do prefer the size and weight of the Olympus.

14. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    Both are fantastic wide open, with the Oly being just a bit faster to focus and more reliable. Having said that, and having used both, I chose to keep the PL25 for my E-M10 because it has a little something extra... a bit more character in the images than the Oly does. Besides, you can find them for $400 so the price gap is relatively at parity.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan

I owned them at the same time. And couldn't agree more with this take on the subject.

On another note I got my hands on the pl45 macro's hood. It is much smaller than the hood that comes with the pl25 and is highly recommend if you can find one.

I'll post a picture if I get a chance.

16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Then again, I got the O25mm for $269 new on eBay, so you can still save quite a bit over the Panasonic.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    For me it really comes down to two things: rendering and lens size. The differences in AF speed, and in aperture are minimal. If you prefer the rendering of the Panasonic and don't mind the size, get it. If not, save a little money and get a smaller lens in the Olympus. They're both excellent.

18. NWright

NWright Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    Michigan
    Here is the pl25 with the pl45 lens hood.

Comparison size with the p20 and p14

Attached Files:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I've bought both and prefer the rendering of the Panasonic (smoother OOF transitions, better bokeh). I also adjust WB less with the Panny as I find it better with skin tones. Shooting wide open, I just adjust curves to increase contrast and thats about it. It reminds me of my old Sigma 50mm with the creamy rendering of backgrounds.

The Oly is smaller, lighter and quieter though. I didnt think it would be a big deal (the Panny is not a large lens relatively speaking) but in my smaller bag, the Oly fits fine while the Panny requires leaving another lens out. It was a tough choice but I actually put the Panny up for sale because at the end of the day, I use a 50 less than my wide or tele primes so I value small/light for it.

(I have mine on the Buy & Sell for $350 if interested :))

• Like Like x 1
  20. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Although I haven't used the Oly, my vote would go towards it. The Panny is an amazing lens, but it's noisy, a bit clunky unless you have a large camera, and more expensive. The Oly is what M43 is all about - tiny, light, sharp.