1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I'm getting a few photos published in a book about U2 fans

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by felipegeek, Dec 8, 2015.

1. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    Fellow Mu-43 members,

I had published some photos from the July 30th U2 concert in New York City to Flickr under a Creative Commons license which only required attribution. Nevertheless, I was contacted by a French freelance journalist and U2 fan that was working on a book about U2 fans around the world. She asked permission to use my photos and I happily affirmed her ability to do so. Sometime later she contacted with her progress as well as obtaining formal permission via signed affidavit as required from her publisher before being able to proceed further. I happily did that as well. The funds to get the publishing started are being raised via a crowd funding site in Europe called Ulule. Please see "I will follow, U2 by its fans", the book to learn more about it. They used some of my photos in the promotion page and I'm quite happy about that. If you are a U2 fan and want a copy of the book there are contribution levels to do so. It's a small goal of $653 USD but an important one to make the publishing possible. In any case, I won't make any money but I don't make my living from photography. I certainly see the value of making most of my photos available under a CC license for the use of others and some acknowledgment credits for me.

I'm otherwise very happy to have been thoughtfully considered by a user of my photos and the opportunity to be published.

Best regards and Happy Holidays,
    -felipe

• Like Like x 7
  2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    felipe,

Congratulations. Very exciting. It is always great fun to see your photo being used in such ways. I too have given permission to use my photos in a number of places (a book, a magazine, and web sites) for nothing.

Of course nothing prevents anyone retaining full Copyrights on their photos from allowing other to use them for free and give acknowledgement credits. The users simply have to ask first. :)

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Congrats and good luck!

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Congrats and good luck for the funding.

Only one suggestion: I went to the funding site willing to make a $1 donation as I do with projects I like. Then I discovered that the minimum amount is $5 that is well over my budget. Maybe this happened to others and maybe there is still time to add a $1 "Good luck!" reward like many projects do.

5. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @Klorenzo@Klorenzo I'll pass the suggestion along to the book author. It makes sense as getting the largest crowd possible to contribute gets you closer to your goal more quickly.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, it would be nice if you'd post or link to some of the photos here; they're not immediately obvious on your Flickr.

Barry

7. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @barry13@barry13 I was remiss is not referencing the collection the book author selected the photos from. I created a Flickr Album to make them easy to view at U2 Concert.

I shot them with my E-M5 and only the Oly 45mm. I fully expected I'd have to substantially crop most of the photos but I didn't want the security checkers to decide I had a "pro" camera so I stripped it down to nothing but body and lens with the small flash and my black rapid sling strap my pocket. It didn't raise any eyebrows. I was relatively close to the main stage from the first level seating my wife and I had. I still had to crop the majority of the photos, some of them drastically. Of the over 600 photos I took kept 278 and only published 34 to Flickr.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Man those guys look old! (says the guy who is always startled by mirrors...)

Nice shots!

9. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @ex machina@ex machina Thanks! What freaks me out is all of them are only 8-9 years older than me. I hope in 9 years I'm jumping around like that.
    My experience with the E-M5 and 45mm in this situation really cemented my belief that MFT system kicks butt.