I'm Fuji-curious, but not sure where to start. Any advice?

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
@DeeJayK I had a look at your very detailed post on the other thread, however I didn't want to hijack that one with any comments about it and I think it might be better for everyone to make my reply here.

First I'd like to say the best sign of a camera is "right" for you, are your instincts and emotions when you pick it up and handle it. That was in my case when I first handled the X-Pro1, the E-M5 Mark I and most of all the Pen-F. So if the X-H1 really sparked, I'm sure that's a good sign and clearly a win over all the other options.

As already said, the X100V you really need to be comfortable to use it as it is: A compact, fairly light and very capable, unique fixed lens camera. With the latter being the most major reason against it. IMHO if somebody isn't to 100% sure he or she is going to utilize the camera "as it is", it might be simply the wrong choice.
The major selling point of the X-Pro series always has been the high quality rangefinder styled body and the hybrid viewfinder system, something you don't find anywhere else on the market. If you already know you are going to use the EVF essentially always and aren't really too comfortable with the RF bodystyle, there are very little reasons left to buy an X-Pro over an X-T body. I've found it funny though that you called the X-Pro3 a brick but liked the X-H1, which is usually titled as "the brick" in the Fuji-X community. :laugh: But you aren't wrong though, the rangefinder bodies are really somewhat brick-shaped cameras.

The X-H1 is a fairly underrated camera even for the X-System community, but has a loyal, albeit rather small fanbase. People disliked it due to the size, weight, lack of an EV-dial and the fact it introduced IBIS to the system, which back in the day didn't really get many people too excited. Fast forward until today, there are quite some rumors about an X-H2 hitting the scene and, even more, introducing the next generation Fujifilm-X hardware (sensor, processing engine) to the system next year.

Whether or not to buy into the system is up to you and I'm not trying to take that GAS off you or encourage you to make the purchase, it also seems like you've already made up your mind.
Since I'm also maintaining two system side by side since just a few weeks, I'll try building them around specific purposes. With MFT especially good for telephoto stuff or when I want to take a lot of lenses while keeping the kit as small and light as possible, also with the excellent IBIS in mind.
The X-System unfortunately has somewhat grown to be my "go-to" system for now, also related in being new: I don't like to make such an expensive purchase and have the stuff just laying around on my shelf. The system was from the beginning ment to just consist of three, four at best, primes, which could be taken anywhere regardless of weather conditions, something my Pen-F simply doesn't do as carefree.

That Mitakon 35mm f0.95 is a very capable lens and is often stated as one of the most attractive of those Chinese, fast, fully manual primes. As for the 18-55, while it might not one of the great lenses of the system, it is a decent enough standard zoom. The price of ~1000 USD seems to be very reasonable, if both items are in decent condition. So I guess the ultimate question is: What do you want the X-H1 to do for you? That's a question only you can answer in the end. In my case, buying the X-Pro3 boiled down to a basic fact: I've always had interest in the X-Pro cameras since the day I first handled one and now I essentially just happened to be able to buy one, like my Pen-F it is a camera which brings me joy for my hobby.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
The X-H1 also really piqued my interest. I never even knew that this camera existed until this thread. It looks a lot like an APS-C G9, which is exactly what I’d probably want anyway. Pair it with the 10-24 the new 75-300, toss in a prime in the middle, and maybe a TC, and I think that could be a really potent lineup for me. I’ve even gone as far as downloading sample RAWs from the X-H1 to see what I think of them. Just curious why the X-H1 never did that well. Looks pretty much like my idea of an ideal camera body.

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
I have tried pretty much every crop-sensor mirrorless system out there, but I keep returning to Micro 4/3 which has the best combination of size, performance and lens availability on the market.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
The X-H1 also really piqued my interest. I never even knew that this camera existed until this thread. It looks a lot like an APS-C G9, which is exactly what I’d probably want anyway.
That's an apt comparison. Pretty similar in size and shape and both are marketed as "hybrid" cameras.

Here's one look at how it compares in size to the G9 and the E-M1.2:
Screenshot_20210815-130229_Chrome.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Even with each company's consumer long zoom attached, the size comparison is close:
Screenshot_20210815-130641_Chrome.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pair it with the 10-24 the new 75-300, toss in a prime in the middle, and maybe a TC, and I think that could be a really potent lineup for me. I’ve even gone as far as downloading sample RAWs from the X-H1 to see what I think of them. Just curious why the X-H1 never did that well. Looks pretty much like my idea of an ideal camera body.
I'm not sure I want to go full bore into Fuji X, particularly for telephoto. But the X-H1 feels to me like a good entry point to give the system a tryout.

- K

P.S. Sorry if you caught my GAS for this camera.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
That's an apt comparison. Pretty similar in size and shape and both are marketed as "hybrid" cameras.

Here's one look at how it compares in size to the G9 and the E-M1.2:

Even with each company's consumer long zoom attached, the size comparison is close:
Fo

I'm not sure I want to go full bore into Fuji X, particularly for telephoto. But the X-H1 feels to me like a good entry point to give the system a tryout.

- K

P.S. Sorry if you caught my GAS for this camera.
No worries. I’d really like to just try one first, but it’s not really much of an option short of I guess rentals, but since the X-H1 isn’t being made anymore, it probably isn’t up for renting. The sample RAW files I downloaded seemed just as workable, and the main thing I noticed was that high ISO didn’t really seem necessary for some fairly low-light situations. All that said, the PL100-400 keeps coming to the rescue. When it’s good, it’s often really good, and it can be very sharp as well. I‘d need some confidence that I could get something like that with Fuji. I know weight would go up, and I’m not sure if I’d be okay with that.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Well, I pulled the trigger on the X-H1 and picked up a Zhongyi Speedmaster 35mm f/0.95 to pair with it. Obviously, that won't give me a chance to evaluate AF performance, but it should be a fun kit to shoot with for a bit. I'll keep an eye out for a deal on an AF lens.

I'll share some thoughts here once I've had some time to spend with it. For now, I'm off to download a copy of the manual, since it didn't come with one.

- K

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
A couple of quick-hit first impressions of the X-H1 after the first half hour of playing with it (outside the store):
  • It's definitely bigger than the E-M1. The size difference is not all that apparent in hand, but I definitely noticed it when trying to put it in a bag. It doesn't fit directly in the spaces I've allotted to the E-M1, so I'm going to have to reconfigure my bag(s) a bit.
  • I like that I can turn it on and off with the index finger of my right hand while holding it. It has always annoyed me that Olympus places the power switch way over on the left shoulder of the camera.
  • I love the screen tilting mechanism. Frankly, I probably wouldn't be here if the E-M1.2 and .3 hadn't abandoned the tilting screen in favor of a flip out fully articulating one; I'd have probably upgraded to an E-M1.2 and been satisfied (or at least have spent the money that went toward the X-H1). The coolest feature of the X-H1 screen is that in addition to tilting up and down it also hinges to the side, which allows one to take portrait orientation shots from above or below. Best designed screen I've ever used.
  • The in-camera panorama mode seems more capable than I expected. I'm not sure it will make post-processing panos a thing of the past, but it looks like it would work for at least for images for sharing online.
  • The placement of the various buttons and controls feels good. I really think the little joystick for moving around the focusing point is something that I'm going to like using.
  • The shutter button definitely offers less tactile feedback than what I'm used to. As it is, it's really difficult to do the half-depress to set focus then recompose and capture thing. On searching around this appears to be a common complaint with the X-H1 and I guess that Fuji offers a service where you can send the camera in and they'll adjust the strength of the shutter spring. Hopefully it's something that I'll just be able to get used to or compensate using back-button focus, as I don't really want to send it in.
That's it for now. I haven't really shot anything, just been playing with the controls and menus trying to figure out how I want to set things up. I'll add more once I've actually done some shooting.

- K

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
A couple of quick-hit first impressions of the X-H1 after the first half hour of playing with it (outside the store):
  • It's definitely bigger than the E-M1. The size difference is not all that apparent in hand, but I definitely noticed it when trying to put it in a bag. It doesn't fit directly in the spaces I've allotted to the E-M1, so I'm going to have to reconfigure my bag(s) a bit.
  • I like that I can turn it on and off with the index finger of my right hand while holding it. It has always annoyed me that Olympus places the power switch way over on the left shoulder of the camera.
  • I love the screen tilting mechanism. Frankly, I probably wouldn't be here if the E-M1.2 and .3 hadn't abandoned the tilting screen in favor of a flip out fully articulating one; I'd have probably upgraded to an E-M1.2 and been satisfied (or at least have spent the money that went toward the X-H1). The coolest feature of the X-H1 screen is that in addition to tilting up and down it also hinges to the side, which allows one to take portrait orientation shots from above or below. Best designed screen I've ever used.
  • The in-camera panorama mode seems more capable than I expected. I'm not sure it will make post-processing panos a thing of the past, but it looks like it would work for at least for images for sharing online.
  • The placement of the various buttons and controls feels good. I really think the little joystick for moving around the focusing point is something that I'm going to like using.
  • The shutter button definitely offers less tactile feedback than what I'm used to. As it is, it's really difficult to do the half-depress to set focus then recompose and capture thing. On searching around this appears to be a common complaint with the X-H1 and I guess that Fuji offers a service where you can send the camera in and they'll adjust the strength of the shutter spring. Hopefully it's something that I'll just be able to get used to or compensate using back-button focus, as I don't really want to send it in.
That's it for now. I haven't really shot anything, just been playing with the controls and menus trying to figure out how I want to set things up. I'll add more once I've actually done some shooting.

- K
Points 2 and 6 sound exactly like the G9. The G9's half-press is very sensitive, where before you adjust, you might get a couple "bonus shots" while setting focus. My first thoughts on that with the G9 was that it felt eager to shoot. The tilt-screen action also sounds right up my alley. I don't prefer articulating screens either. This camera certainly sounds tempting. I'll be curious to learn of the AF and low-light chops, and if you feel either is a step up.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
In case you are interested in a 23mm lens:
The revised version of the 23 f1.4 seems to be released sooner than expected and might be available as early as this autumn. So far the only suspected improvement over the current version is added weather sealing. Since the original uses a rather slow and noisy AF system, it might also be possible Fujifilm might add improved AF motors. However that's just pure speculation.

If they do however, there might be quite a few people who'd sell their Mk I of the 23 f1.4

https://www.fujirumors.com/breaking...-weather-sealing-to-be-announced-september-2/

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
In case you are interested in a 23mm lens:
The revised version of the 23 f1.4 seems to be released sooner than expected and might be available as early as this autumn. So far the only suspected improvement over the current version is added weather sealing. Since the original uses a rather slow and noisy AF system, it might also be possible Fujifilm might add improved AF motors. However that's just pure speculation.

If they do however, there might be quite a few people who'd sell their Mk I of the 23 f1.4

https://www.fujirumors.com/breaking...-weather-sealing-to-be-announced-september-2/
Thanks for the tip. I'm always on the lookout for deals, so I'll keep an eye open.

I did pick up an XC 15–45 zoom that was super cheap. I'm hoping that it's at least somewhat similar to the P12-32. It's certainly not as compact, but it's smaller than the other Fuji zooms. The downsides are the lack of an aperture ring and the plastic construction. Also, it sounds like the power zoom implementation is a bit fiddly at best. It hasn't arrived yet, so we'll see how it goes. I'm confident I can get most or all of my money out of it if I decide to move it along.

I'm also really interested in the XF 27mm pancake, particularly the newer version with the aperture ring and weather sealing. It looks like an analogue of the P20 f/1.7 which I really love.

Not sure why I'm so focused on tiny lenses since I'm using the biggest X-system body, but the heart wants what it wants. ;)

- K

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I must say, I'm fighting the urge pretty hard at the moment. There are quite a few of these bodies used at MPB in anywhere from Good to Like-New. I'm really curious about the high-ISO and low light performance. Fuji claims it does well, even way up there, but I wouldn't mind some real world opinions on it too. Just from what I've seen of some low light samples, high ISO wasn't even needed. What do you think of the dial arrangement?

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I must say, I'm fighting the urge pretty hard at the moment. There are quite a few of these bodies used at MPB in anywhere from Good to Like-New. I'm really curious about the high-ISO and low light performance. Fuji claims it does well, even way up there, but I wouldn't mind some real world opinions on it too. Just from what I've seen of some low light samples, high ISO wasn't even needed. What do you think of the dial arrangement?
I haven't really shot in any low light situations, but I can try it later and share some images/ opinions.

The muscle memory with the dials is still a ways off for me, but my initial reaction is that they're pretty well laid out. There are also two configurable command dials front and rear which I haven't really dove into. I'm trying to build a familiarity with the Fuji controls and fighting the urge to just assign those command dials to work like the ones on my Olympus do. My default shooting mode is aperture priority, so at least for now I've mostly just left the ISO and shutter speed dials on "A".

The X-H2 is still rumored for (early?) 2022. If you can hold off until then, it might push X-H1 prices down further.

- K

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I am curious what the other dials do. Can they also just be aperture and shutter? One thing I’ve always liked on the G9 is that there are 3 dials, so I can control ISO, Aperture and Shutter without any secondary actions (switch or button press). That’s where Fuji has me, since all 3 controls should be readily available to me. Any time I’ve tried to do a 2 dial setup, I fumble the settings when the time to shoot is limited.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I am curious what the other dials do. Can they also just be aperture and shutter? One thing I’ve always liked on the G9 is that there are 3 dials, so I can control ISO, Aperture and Shutter without any secondary actions (switch or button press). That’s where Fuji has me, since all 3 controls should be readily available to me. Any time I’ve tried to do a 2 dial setup, I fumble the settings when the time to shoot is limited.
As far as I can tell, the control dials can be set to control aperture, ISO or shutter speed (exposure compensation?). Not sure how they interact with the physical shutter speed dial and aperture ring. Perhaps it only works when those are set to the "A" position?

In fact, it seems like the front command dial can be assigned up to three different controls which you can toggle between by depressing the dial. I haven't tried that at all, but it seems like it could cause confusion, at least for my old brain.

Here's what the manual says on the command dials (in typical technical writer-ese).

For now, I don't have anything assigned to these dials on my camera, preferring to see how I get on with the physical dials.

- K

Last edited:

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
The X-H2 is rumored to be released in early 2022 and will introduce the next sensor and processing engine. Pretty sure it's also going to have an improved IBIS, we'll see if they keep the design language or if they'll do something different.

I have to say on my X-Pro3 I rarely use the command dials at all, aperture is always set directly on the lens, shutter speed is usually on auto, expure comp is set via the dedicated dial and last but not least for ISO I'm using either Auto or the dedicated dial.

melanieylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I did pick up an XC 15–45 zoom that was super cheap.

Fujifilm shooter Mark Adams of onecameraonelens.com is an advocate of the XC zooms, especially the 50-230mm, and I find his blog worth following.
https://onecameraonelens.com/tag/50-230/

I have the first version 27/2.8 and wanted to like it (oh, how often I say that about Fujifilm!), but the autofocus is noisy AF, much worse than the Panasonic 20/1.7 v2 I use.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Fujifilm shooter Mark Adams of onecameraonelens.com is an advocate of the XC zooms, especially the 50-230mm, and I find his blog worth following.
https://onecameraonelens.com/tag/50-230/

I have the first version 27/2.8 and wanted to like it (oh, how often I say that about Fujifilm!), but the autofocus is noisy AF, much worse than the Panasonic 20/1.7 v2 I use.
Seems like the XC 50-230 fits in the niche that the Oly 40-150 f/4-5.6 (or whatever it is, the one that's not the f/2.8) occupies in the m43 world. A lens that is often overlooked because it feels and looks "cheap", but that's capable of delivering great photos given sufficient light. I'll keep it in mind if I find a need to add a tele zoom.

Frankly, what really sold me on the 15-45 (besides that ~22mm equivalent wide end and the dirt cheap price) is the snobbery with which I saw it dismissed by many. This video is a perhaps the best example of this elitist attitude.

As for the 27mm pancake, I'm hoping the AF performance is improved with the new one, but the killer upgrade for me is the weather sealing. I've never been too bothered by noisy AF.

- K

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
You'll get a similar, albeit not as bad, snobbery comments about the small f2 primes: Those are often trash talked by a group of "elitists" who swear by the f1.4 versions, which offer impressive image quality, magical colors and a dreamy bokeh. :doh: While the f2 versions are just the el-cheapo alternatives for people with no money.
I'm pretty sure a photographer who know how to work with those lenses or any lens, can produce great results regardless....

The new 27mm still has the same old AF system, however from what I've heard, newer cameras speed up those older AF motors quite a bit, I don't know if the X-H1 is already one of them.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom