1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'm excited with the 12-35!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, May 23, 2012.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    It offers me new possibilities for lens combo...

12-35 + 75 (/60)

12-35 + 35-100

or for one lens solution 12-35.

then keep the 20mm 1.7.

what are your thoughts?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think I'd go with the 12-35mm + 35-100mm.

Though a 12-35mm + 50-200mm or 70-200mm would be better, if only... ;) I don't like my zoom lenses to be so close together.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Combo for what uses?

I see my 'ideal' travel kit being the E-M5, 12-35 (walk around fast zoom), supplemented by primes (14/2.5, 20/1.7, 45/1.7 when the mood strikes) and depending on destination, a telephoto zoom (either 35-100 or 100-300 for quality, 45-200 for price and size).

4. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Does anybody know if Olympus will have an equivalent HG lens soon? Perhaps a new m4/3 12-60mm f2.8-f/4? Any rumours?

Steve

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    Ned, me too, on full frame nikon, i'm using 17-35 + 70-200 as a favored combo over the the 24-70 + 70-200.

:biggrin:

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    All looks good on paper and in "controlled results" posted so far - there again, so did images from the 14-42X lens prior to release yet the version I got was awful with poor IQ and ended up being returned (the retailer told me they had received another one back that week as well as others so not just me).

Alas, my experience has made me more than a little sceptical and this coupled with what will probably be a high asking price makes me determined to Hang on until genuine evidence proves it is a viable option at a sensible price.

Sorry if this sounds cynical but once bitten, twice shy where expensive lenses are concerned!

• Like Like x 2
  7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    forums like this have played a major part in my decision making, i tend to rely more on real world experiences than the usual well-scripted write-ups! :biggrin:

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm less worried about this bit of glass than about something like the pancake X zoom, primarily because it's about the 'right' size and weight relative to a full frame lens, and has a pretty traditional design to it. Every camera maker has its share of bad glass in their lineup. It's not built to be crazy tiny or crazy lightweight. But we'll all just have to be patient and wait for the real-world results - perhaps 'luckily' for me, I don't expect any big traveling until well after the release date...

9. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I hear you, but I am going to be an early adopter here. I was skeptical of a lens with a power zoom, also, SLRgear reviews/data has held up for me over time, so I am willing to put in a preorder once that is an option.

This is a great time for the m4/3 standard. Lots of great options for high quality lenses in the last year and more in the pipeline. Pretty cool!

Cliff

10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    My selection is 9-18, 25, and either 35-100 or mulling over trying the 45-175.

Paul

11. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    I am exited about 12-35 as it is wide with good light. BUT I am waiting for Sigma and Tamron proposals for mu43 as their 2.8 zooms for Nikon/Canon are now very advanced and reached level of native manufacturer lenses. So I am staying with my 14-45 OIS, Oly 45mm and Panasonic 14mm & 20mm are on way to me :)

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I think it looks like a great lens, but I so rarely want to shoot with a zoom that I don't see it being worth the money to ME - for others, for sure. When I travel I like having zooms, but then I'm interested in max versatility, so I'd take something like a 14-150 and 9-18 and a couple of faster primes. I have the 12-50 for the rare situation where I want a walk-around zoom around home, but that's REALLY rare. I just can't see that I'd use it near enough to justify. But even on a theoretical level, its really nice that good quality, reasonably fast zooms are finally finding their way into m43. Its really been all that's lacking lately and now it won't be.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1