I'm Buying an OM Adapter....

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tjdean01, Jul 9, 2013.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    ...and I see no reason to buy the $169 one from Olympus. I was thinking of getting a cheapie off Ebay. The Prost one works fine for my PK lenses. I don't want to spend $169 because with that money + the price of a legacy lens I could just buy a smaller, lighter, better-at-wide-aperture native lens. Are there any advantages to buying this Olympus adapter?

Note: I only buy lower-priced legacy lenses. I don't think I'll ever have one that costs more than $150 because there are good native options available for not much more.

(I just got an OM mount 28mm Macro by the makers of Pentax. Excited!)

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, you don't need to pay the price of the Olympus OM adapter. You can get just as good an adapter for about $20. if you're in North America, try Fotodiox or Rainbow Imaging. I believe I'm using Fotodiox for mine.

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Another vote for Rainbow Imaging...I have/had seven adapters from them and all function just as they should. I have the OM and am actually thinking of getting a second one from them. If you deal direct vs their eBay store its noticeably cheaper.

4. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I have the Fotodiox and it works great. $20.

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I have one of those too and it works fine. The machining might not be a precise as the Olympus one, but it works.

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

7. super8man

super8man Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Do you have any examples of pictures taken with the tilt mount? Would love to see a few!

8. Ross the fiddler

Nothing exciting just examples of something very mundane & boring but never-the-less examples.

All using Tilt adapter with OM 50mm lens @ f/1.8.
    Taken with OM-D E-M5 adapter straight (not tilted).
    O3012603-s_no_tilt.

Taken with OM-D E-M5 with lens tilted down 8 degrees.
    O3012602-s_tilt_down.

Taken with OM-D E-M5 with lens tilted up 8 degrees.
    O3012601-s_tilt_up.

Maybe one day I'll actually find something more creative. :wink:

9. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    I bought a cheap one from ebay and it didn't focus to infinity, so I had to make it thinner with a file, now it works well

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Interesting use for a citrus fruit...can you elaborate on your methodology?

11. Ross the fiddler

He did update it with 'file'. :rolleyes: :wink:

:drinks:

12. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Do you usually laugh at the mistakes of other people?

I'm not English and I'm still learning it, sorry for my mistakes :thumbup:

13. Ross the fiddler

Thanks for being a good sport & you don't need to be sorry for anything. I can only speak (read or write) one language & I admire those that can handle more than one. :2thumbs:

When you filed it down, how much did you need to take off?

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hi Anthon,

I apologize for making a quip at your expense. I DID realize that this was likely just a typo, but I chuckled a bit when I read it and couldn't resist the temptation.
    My intention wasn't to offend you and I again apologize if I did so.

Even though English is my first (and only) language my posts are riddled with similar mistakes.

Now back to filing your adapter...would you mind elaborating on how you went about making the adjustment? I've got one or two adapter/lens combos that focus past infinity.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If it focuses past infinity you need to add a shim between the mount and body of the adapter. All my cheap adapters go past infinity and I just live with it.

Fred

16. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Depending on your skill level, you can also change the stopping point of the focusing helical inside the lens. Useful if only some of the lenses in this mount have this issue. Once you do one or two, the next few are much easier (unless they are Vivitars).

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

17. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    Don't worry, I understand you and I know that sometimes I make funny mistakes trying to write in English. :biggrin:

I wrote "lime" because in Spanish "lime" means "lima" and a "lima" in Spanish can be both a fruit or a file for metal. Sometimes I use the dictionary before writing but that time I didn't use it. One thing is for sure, I won't do the same error again with those two words :drinks:

About the adapter, the focus couldn't reach infinity because it was more thicker than it was supposed to be, so taking off about 1mm with a file solved the problem. These things happen when you buy cheap adapters from ebay :tongue:

18. Ross the fiddler

It's always interesting how different words end up with different meanings between languages.

My first OM adapter needed some modification too. The screw holding the little lever for pushing the aperture control was too high (catching on the lens) & so I cut the mounting face down a little with a chisel & that solved that one. I confess I haven't actually tried the OM lenses at infinity for focus as most of the test subjects were close anyhow. It will be something else I'll have to check & correct if needed. Thanks for highlighting that Anthon.