1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I'm beginning to cave

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dcisive, Dec 21, 2010.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    after all the hoopla over the GH-2 and so many examples about I've pretty much decided it would be a good fit for me and to sell my PL1 and viewfinder. There are just too many things on the feature set to ignore as useful tools along the way. Since I already have a good investment with the lenses (a 20mm f1.7, 45-200OIS and 14-140OIS) it is a good start. No doubt I'll have to cave and get that unreal 100-300OIS that just came out.

I also have a D700 and D7000 for my more serious work so no issues there. I already had one surgery this month (shoulder) and am going in for yet one more (sinus) next week, so I have some time to ponder it yet, but am pretty sure this is the way I'll end up going. This way I feel I'll be less limited in overall performance with all the tools I'm working with. I was surprised to see so few jumped on the GH-2 in this board. Quite different from other boards I follow. Now I just have to hang in there probably till January to get my hands on one from B&H according to their information.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    dc... This seems like wise move for you. Afterall, your already using DSLR's and the GH2 will work the same way with a smaller footprint....
    There's a store in DC that has them in stock. Contact John1027 for details.
    Don

3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Interesting. What sort of photographs do you like to make? Do you make large prints?

I am fascinated by the range of cameras that people use. I would love to know the type of output you would assign to each of a D700, D7000 and GH 2.

I would not have the variety of final output to justify such a collection.

4. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    When I bought the GH1 I was sure that it would last me a long time and I would not be tempted by the successor. Well, I unpacked my GH2 today...

Haven't had much chance to use it, yet (of course, it started raining again as soon as I walked out of the office). My admittedly strange first impression: I always thought of the shutter sound of my old Leica R4 as an old Jaguar, the G1 is more like a Toyota, and the GH2 sounds like a Ford. But faster, somehow. Besides that, everything looks fabulous. Well, except that I may have to sell a few Leica lenses to afford an extra battery. So exciting :smile:

Stefan

5. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I generally print 13x19's but recently updated my printer to a Epson Pro 3880 which of course can do 22x17's, and I've done one off of my D700 to see. It is stunning. I don't doubt properly done the GH-2 can provide a suitable file for such a size print. I'll let you know once I've had a chance to put it through it's paces.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think that the fact that we're all using the same system removes some of the community drive to upgrade all the time.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    If I shot movies more, I think I'd be tempted to move to it from a G/H1. Otherwise, I don't think the improvements warrant an upgrade (unless you have an itchy trigger finger on the "buy" button :)). No doubt I would pick it over the GH1 if I were to buy today, and were looking at that.

But being a GF1 owner, I am hoping us small rectangular box owners don't get left out (GF2 is a bit of a disappointment, mostly on the reduction of buttons, I can accept the loss of the wheel, just give me two more custom fn buttons).

8. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It all depends on how you look at it: I got a good price for my hacked GH1, so the upgrade to a brand new GH2 cost me a bit over $200 - a no brainer and worth every penny, even if stills are my priority.

Stefan