1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I'm back!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Dec 25, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I picked up a G3 (body only) on Amazon for $249. I am a long time Panasonic fan and while I think the E-M5 and Sony sensor equipped E-PL5 and E-PM2 look pretty nice I have done this enough times to know that things like the Panasonic UI, articulating screen and built-in EVF were going to be more important than what I think are pretty small differences in IQ. IBIS would have been nice but I can live without it. After much thought the price of the G3 seemed like a no brainer to me and I'm ordering a Sigma 30/2.8 to put on it. I chose the Sigma over the Panasonic 20 for two reasons...cost and my experience with the Sigma on the NEX. I found it very sharp, lovely bokeh, nice color and a lovely pleasing way of rendering images. It doesn't AF particularly well on the NEX but I understand that is not the case on m43. It's not as contrasty as the Panasonic but nether are my MD Rokkor 35-70/3.5 macro or 100/2.8 (two of my favorite lenses on the NEX) and I have come to really like that look.

I'm back to having 2 systems (NEX and m43) and I have come to appreciate that no one tool can give you everything you want. I LOVE using manual focus lenses and mu NEX is my manual focus system of choice. Even with my stable of Rokkors it was a lot more affordable way than an M8 to scratch that itch. The G3 is a creative tool when I want AF and more automaton to work quickly and with a bit spontaneity and I also have a Fuji X10 that is a really lovely have with you all the time camera. I look forward to contributing here on m43 as well as SC and TalkNEX as I seem to be in all three camps.

Happy Holidays...and I just got in under the wire for my NO NEW GEAR pledge for 2013. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well it must be Christmas, cause Kevin is back!!!

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Did your heart grow three times this day?

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqOOUJFv1n0]The Grinch Ending (Original 1966) - YouTube[/ame]

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome back, Kevin!

I must admit I'm a little surprised you didn't go with one of the newer Olys (E-M5, E-PM2, or E-PL5) not because of the Sony sensor but because of the Keyline Art Filter, which is like the Focus Peaking I know you like on the Sony. ;) Good choice irregardless, picking up something you're familiar with.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Hey Ned,

I went with the G3 for two reasons, the articulating LCD, familiarity (I have always had great luck with Panasonics before) and cost...$249 shipped for a new G3 body is just crazy cheap. I don't plan to use a lot of legacy glass on the G3 (that stays on the NEX) so I didn't need the fauxcus peaking. :eek:

6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Welcome Back Kevin
    Hope you are keeping well
    Regards
    Rob

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Yes, and that smile is why I have the nickname. Hope you and your family are all well. Cheers and I look forward to your ramblings. Cheers

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Welcome back, Kevin. I just upgraded my own micro four-thirds kit in the form of a Panny G5 to replace my G3 (better ergos and balance for larger lenses like the Lumx 100-300) and an Oly E-PM2 to replace my E-PM1. The G5 body was $399 at Amazon. But, given your NEX system, the G3 was a smoking good deal or you. Just a suggesttion: If you like how the Sigma 30 works out on micro four thirds, then go for the Sigma 19 as well.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Less talk, and more pictures (with the new camera)! :wink: :smile:

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It gets here Friday so I'll se what I can do.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The G3 arrived and to be quite honest I am pretty ambivalent about it. It seems like a very nice camera but I don't find it particularly appealing. I thought that it utilitarian approach would be fine but that really hasn't been the way it has struck me.

First the positive...

- I think the G3 is very well made and a lot better than I thought it would be
    - As I remembered the Panasonic UI is direct and easy to use
    - The Sigma 30/2.8 is fast to AF...VERY fast
    - The Sigma feel pretty good...better than the Olympus 17/2.8 by a long shot
    - I think the G3, Sigma 19 and 30 will make a really useable kit
    - The EVF feels nice and roomy
    - I have until the 31st to return it.

Now the less positive...

- The body is small...too small IMHO. I feel like I'm going to drop it. It defintely needs a wrist strap to be useable (for me)
    - The loss of physical controls vs previous models is regrettable. I'm sure I could get used to it but it does make it a bit less friendly.
    - The EVF seems washed out. I am pretty sure I can tweak that however
    - It is not any less ugly in person

After playing with it I find myself not really being able to see when Iam going to use it. I have no doubt that it does the job and I am sure that the images will be just fine but I look at the G3 and don't see where it fits in between my NEX and Fuji X10. I popped a nice MC Rokkor 50/1.4 on it (I happen to still have an MD to m43 adapter) and it took about 10 seconds to realize that using manual focus on the G3 was not going to be worth it. I have become spoiled by focus peaking. The AF is very VERY nice but so is the AF on my X10. It's not quite as fast but it's away more convenient camera to carry about. Finally, there is something that the G3 is missing. It has absolutely zero character. It's very much a utilitarian device and while I can appreciate it for what it is, I'm not sure I want to own it.

So the G3 sits on my table and I am debating whether to simply return it. I could keep it and it's not a big deal but I'm starting to think it'll be little more than a paperweight most of the time. I'll get dinged for shipping but I can just consider that my stupidity tax. I gotta sleep on it.

12. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I agree with your reactions to the G3. I moved from the G2 to the G3 to get the better sensor but gave up too much I liked about the G2. G5 is better, but I believe I still like the G2 best of all. I still have it; may have to take it out for old times' sake.

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Luckily I can return the G3 and Sigma 30. Less lucky is the Sigma 19 I bought on the Buy and Sell area...looks like that one is going from the box to the sale table. I may not even unpack it.

14. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    G2, G3, and G5

Kevin,

Chuck has a good point about the G2 having good ergonomics.

I purchased and sold the G3 in 2011 when if first came out and I liked the IQ of the G3 but not the ergonomics and its handling. Since then I got the GH2 and have been very happy with its IQ and intuitive handling.

Just today, I received a G5 from Amazon, and it's IQ is about the same as the G3, but maybe with somewhat better. But the G5 fixes many of the shortcomings of the G3, so that it is really quite nice to use. My favorite new features of the G5 are the improved Grip and silent electronic shutter.

Go ahead and return the G3 and use the credit towards a great deal on a G5 body.

15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I had a couple of G2's and a GH2 and you're both right. They had excellent ergonomics (I think the most comfortable m43 bodies I ever used). Of course ergonomics is only part of the problem I have. I don't see what role the G3 (or even G5) has in my gear. I think if m43 were my main system then I would definitely pick up a G5 but it's not and because I am primarily a user of legacy lenses I don't see m43 as a viable option for me over what I am currently using. Clearly I should have thought about it BEFORE ordering but sometimes I just get caught up in the fact that it's on sale.

16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Kevin I think you might over analyze things sometimes. I feel if a camera connects with you, you will shoot it more no matter what "role" you think it might fit in your lineup.

The G3 is a great camera for the price. But if it's not connecting with you, you'll never use it, no matter how good a deal it was. Get something you will enjoy using, even if you don't consider it your primary camera.

p.s. I warned you about it's small size. :tongue:

p.p.s. I'm in love with the G5, that's all I'm gonna say. :cool:

17. I agree with Vin. If the G3 elicits no response from your photographic self when you look at it or pick it up then you are not likely to get much use from it. Unfortunately cameras can be funny old things. Some may be good or even great in some way but just don't inspire you to use them, some begged to be used but disappoint in their operation or output, and then there's everything in between.

p.s. Does your resolution include no returns in 2013? :smile:

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep, you're right...It was pretty simple. i just didn't like it. I just did the return for both the G3 and the Sigma 30. It looks like I can swap it out for a G5 if I want(comes to almost the sam amount). If I decided to do it I'll keep the Sigma 19 I got.

Also..you were right about the size. It was too small. Oh well, live and learn.

19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Welcome back. Though we've been talking about the X10 on Serious Compacts.

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks, of course I'm not really back as I am returning the G3 and the Sigma 30 but it was nice to be back for a brief stay...kinda like a weekend trip to Disneyland. :biggrin: