I'm back

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43_user, Apr 24, 2012.

1. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I wasn't planning on getting another m4/3 camera. I have no m4/3 gear at all right now. After reading a lot about the OM-D and seeing plenty of sample photos, I'm definitely 'back'. As soon as I sell a few Nikon mount lenses I don't need, I'm ordering an OM-D E-M5. My goal is to eventually get to the point where I don't feel like I 'need' a SLR, like my D700. I think the higher ISO image quality of the OM-D is close enough to the D700 that I would feel fine using it in most situations. I'm torn as to whether or not I want to sell my D700 though. Maybe I'll wait and see how I like the OM-D compared to the D700 in various situations. If all goes well, then I'd feel ok selling the D700 and buying a few more nice lenses for the OM-D. We'll see. Either way, I'm definitely buying an OM-D as soon as I can.

2. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    In the meantime, here's a GH2 and a G2 photo....until I get my OM-D. I no longer have these cameras.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  3. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I understand why you would want an OMD. I love mine but what is wrong with the GH2? These shots are beautiful! Sell your Nikon now. 4/3 FTW :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  4. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    I liked the GH2 but I just couldn't come to love it for some reason. I was never really all that happy with the colors for one thing. I always shoot raw so to some extent the colors didn't matter but with Nikon, Adobe makes the camera profiles that match the in-camera picture controls pretty closely so even with raw the colors with Nikon were pretty close in raw. I don't like Adobe's default conversion so I found myself tweaking too much. Maybe it might be similar with Olympus regarding raw and Adobe conversions. I like the files and the camera well enough so far that I think I wouldn't mind tweaking the color to my liking though.

I think the only thing holding me back from selling all my Nikon SLR gear is the perception. It's mostly all mental I guess. I've been changing my way of thinking over time though with regard to what type of camera would make me happy. Overall it must have great image quality and I think the OM-D has that now. I hear people compliment Olympus' great customization capability (function buttons, etc). I do like the IBIS too.

If I sell my D700 on ebay, I think I can easily get $2k for it, body only with 3 batteries. I may just do that. I'm looking at lens combos now for the m4/3.

SPEAKING OF LENSES...
    Can someone explain to me the general rule when buying Panasonic brand or any other brand lenses that will be used on an Olympus m4/3 body like the OM-D? For example, the Panasonic 45-200 (I had that lens in the past and it's sharp and pretty nice for the LOW price)...it has built-in stabilization, but how does this work with the OM-D? Is there a way to turn off the OIS for the lens so the IBIS in the OM-D does all the stabilization? What if the lens has no switch to turn off the OIS? What should I be careful about when buying non-Olympus lenses for the OM-D?

ALSO...
    Can you recommend the best lenses for the Olympus?
    My plan so far is the following:
    - The 12-50mm kit lens for general puporse use
    - The Oly 45 f/1.8 for macro, portrait, etc...for sharp images and low light.
    - The Oly 9-18 for landscapes and other wide scenes. Would this be as good as the Panasonic 7-14? If no, why? Any issues using the Panasonic on the Oly?

Maybe:
    - The Oly 12mm f2 for a wide angle prime that's got a big aperture
    - What about the Oly 17mm f2.8 (pancake lens?)? Is it sharp? Any complaints?
    - Panasonic 14-45mm for a more compact but still versatile zoom. I hear many people say this is much better than the Oly 14-42 and Panasonic 14-42 kit lenses. True or false? Or am I better off with the current generation Oly 14-42? Would I be able to tell any difference between the Panasonic 14-45 and Oly 14-42?

5. Welcome back to the fold. My Canon DSLR gear is now on the way out, with an E-M5 on the way in. DSLRs: too big, too heavy, less functional. When I think about it logically it's an easy decision to make.

6. If the lens has an OIS switch (14-45, 45-200, 14-140) you just turn it off. If it doesn't have a physical OIS switch I don't think the OIS will activate on an Oly body anyway.

7. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    How's the autofocus and metering when using a Panasonic lens on the Olympus body? Any issues at all? Can I think of this as more of a 'standard' like how Sigma builds lens for Nikon and so on?....is it the same with using Panasonic lenses on Olympus m4/3 bodies? Everything works with the exception of the in-lens stabilization? I lean towards buying the Oly lenses unless there's a specific reason not to...like Oly doesn't make the focal length I want, other brand is known to be more sharp, etc for a certain lens....or whatever. But in general, I'd prefer to use the manufacturer's (Olympus) own lens to ensure best functionality and compatibility.

8. Oly lens on a Panny body

6161693872_f6d63b286b_z.

Panny lens on an Oly body

6947046632_279958c263_z.

7105658105_48c3125bb2_z.

I don't even think twice about mixing and matching either brand of bodies and lenses.

9. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    Pany lenses make audible clicks on Oly cameras when they change through apertures (i.e. when lighting conditions are changing).. other than that, no compatibility issues..

10. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    And why don't Oly lenses click on Oly cameras? Don't they change through apertures as well? Wouldn't that make an audible click too? Just wondering, don't fully understand this issue.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The PL 25 seems to make much less noise on the E-M5 than it did on my E-P2. I have no idea why.

But I'd put it in a list of recommended lenses. Top of the list, actually.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If the lens has no OIS switch, you won't have OIS on an Olympus body. If it does have a switch (the 45-200 for example) you have the option of using either OIS or IBIS. Aside from the OIS and aperture clicking, the only meaningful difference when using Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies is that you don't get automatic correction of chromatic aberration. IMO, not a very big deal.

The 12-50 looks to be fine, but optically the Panasonic 14-45 is better (sharper). The 7-14/4 is also sharper than the 9-18. Probably not enough to worry about, but there it is...

Depends how closely you look, but I suspect yes. The long end especially. The 14-45 is the best of the kit zooms.

The 17/2.8 is fairly mediocre. Doesn't prevent it from making nice photos of course, and the size is handy, but it's certainly less sharp than the kit lenses at 17mm.

Good luck,

DH

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    My slogan is "they always come back" ;)

Welcome back!

14. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Just trying to clarify...

If the Panasonic lens does NOT have a OIS switch on the lens, is the lens-based OIS turned off and the IBIS on the OM-D will be in use? I just want to be sure that if I do buy a Panasonic lens, I can still use IBIS in the OM-D body.

If the Panasonic lens DOES have the OIS switch on the lens, can you just switch it to OFF and use the IBIS on the OM-D? If you switch the OIS switch ON, does that disable the OM-D's IBIS and the OIS in the lens itself is used?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be sure I understand this.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes, assuming you've enabled IBIS.

IBIS and OIS are controlled independently. There's nothing automatic. As the two conflict when both enabled, you will want to turn one of them off.

So far, there are some indications that the E-M5 doesn't play well with OIS (i.e. it's far less effective than it should be), so it's probably best to just stick with IBIS when you need stabilization, at least until that gets sorted out.

DH

16. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    My understanding is that if a lens does not have an OIS switch (ala the Panny 14-42 kit zoom), then you will be using IBIS. I don't have any OIS lenses without an OIS switch to test out on my E-P3 though.

I don't think you'll get much macro use out of the Oly 45. It doesn't have a great close focus range or macro limiter. If you want macro, either go for the PL45 (best option), an adapted macro, or the MCON-P01.

Depends on how wide you like to get. The 9-18 overall has a better walkaround focal range. It's less expensive, smaller, and can take filters. The 7-14 is wider, constant aperture (brighter over their shared range), sharper (from what I've seen, though the 9-18 is no slouch), but is pricey and can't take filters.

I haven't had any problems with it on my PEN. If anything, it is now stabilized (for what use that is at wide angles).

17. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Ok, I did it...

I have all my Nikon SLR gear on ebay now.

I found an OM-D with the 14-42 in stock and I'll have it tomorrow. I bought this so far:
    - OM-D E-M5 with 14-42mm
    - Oly 45mm f/1.8
    - 32GB Class 10 Card

As soon as I clear the money from the sale of the Nikon stuff, I think I will also buy the following:
    - Extra battery - BLN-1
    - Oly 9-18mm & optional lens hood

And I will also likely buy:
    - Battery Grip
    - Panasonic 25mm f/1.4

I think I will be very happy with that kit. I never really had super high quality lenses with my D700 so this time, with the m4/3 system I want to be sure I invested in the high end, sharp/fast lenses. I can afford all this based on the Nikon sales and a little I already had saved. Can't wait to start playing with the OM-D tomorrow afternoon or whenever it arrives.

18. nostatic9

nostatic9 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    worth the price of admission imho. Great lens.

19. laydros

laydros New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2012
    Sounds nice. I got my OM-D a few days ago from a local shop since Amazon didn't even have an ETA yet. It is a great camera, and I think I'm going to be able to talk myself into selling my 5D.

I have a Panasonic 45-200 which works great with it, I just leave the switch off, haven't tried it with the OIS. I traded away my Panasonic 14-42 when I bought the OM-D, but it worked fine with my E-P2.

I also have the 20/1.7 which is a little slow to focus (worse on the E-P2 than the GF3 or E-M5) but is otherwise incredible. I never could have imagined a lens so small, light, and inexpensive could be so sharp.

Now I'm trying to sell the right stuff to land a 45/1.8.

20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    firmware shuts the speaker port off ;)