I'm an idiot.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rwisem, Jun 26, 2015.

1. rwisem

rwisem Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Sequim, Washington, USA
    Roger Wiseman
    So, last week-end I took some pictures at a college graduation party for a niece. When I got home and reviewed them, they were all out of focus. I checked my E-PL6 and noticed that the autofocus wasn't working. I was using A mode all day with a Panny 12-32. Autofocus worked on the program modes, but not A, S and M. I kicked myself for not using P mode as usual. I have that set up to be shutter priority with some tweaks.

I wrote to Olympus about it several days ago and have not heard back.

Today I started playing with the camera again, diving into the menu looking for some kind of reset. I couldn't find any, but started playing around with the button assignments. When I got to the Fn2 button, I was confused. I couldn't find an Fn2 button on the camera. There was a function assigned to it (don't remember what it was). I decided to turn it off, since I couldn't find the button anyway. Then presto! autofocus is back to working in all modes!

Where is this mysterious button and what is it supposed to do, other than crap up my autofocus?
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maybe the function was focus lock?
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Function button 2 is the movie button I believe.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

L-Fn are buttons on lenses.
    B-Fn are buttons on battery/accessory grips.

Fn are buttons on the camera body. Note that some buttons (like the Rec button) are actually other Fn buttons... you may have assigned it to MF and forgotten about it.
  5. rwisem

rwisem Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Sequim, Washington, USA
    Roger Wiseman
    Yes, I must have inadvertantly set some button wrong. The movie button is listed separate from the Fn2 in the menu and I keep it as a movie button. I may have set Fn2 as AEL/AFL. AF Stop or manual focus, which, of course the 12-32 doesn't do. But I still can't fugure out where or what button the Fn2 refers to.
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
  7. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Ouch, I feel for you. That is one of the key reasons I imagine you bought the camera in the first place , to make sure you would capture these special moments with some nice pictures. Hope you get it sorted.
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Wonder if there is an updated manual somewhere. There is not reference to Fn2 in the manual.
  9. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Well if this helps, at least a bit. I own multiple cameras, I've been shooting for almost 40 years. And guess what, when my older son got his graduation prom, I went there without single decent camera, just an iPhone with almost drained battery. So, from this memorable and emotional event, only two blurry photos in very bad lightning, *sigh*. Who could have guessed!?

So basically, I know what you're feeling :(
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Not an idiot. A victim. A victim of an overly complicated user interface. In Olden Times, things were simple. Very few things to worry about. Lens, composition, focus, exposure. Pretty much the same on every camera. No risk of your nose on a touch screen moving the metering point or the focus point. No risk of accidentally getting some kind of bizarre color (re)balance. No risk of an accidental button push transporting you into photographic oblivion.

On my Panasonics, there is the option for one or more "Custom" settings. Turning the selection knob away from "C1" (for example) and then back to C1 resets everything to whatever I have chosen C1 to mean. I shoot two bodies and both have identical C1 settings. So I can always and easily go back to known conditions. That's my defense against the complicated UI.

What I would like to have, too, is a Windows or tablet application that gives me a nice big screen showing all settings and allowing me to change them as I like. Right now scrolling through menu item after menu item on the tiny LCD is like trying to survey the Grand Canyon by looking through a soda straw. No wonder we make mistakes!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    well I have just looked at my E-pl6 bought in the US a couple of months ago ... and under buttons I have no Fn2 option in the the menus at all... just the fn and the movie button indicated by a little circle icon in the menus.

rather curious

12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    It's easily done. I've left my camera on manual focus a couple of times (in my defence, I was unwell on both occasions, honest!). One of my favourite photos was the result of one occasion and it's a photograph I could never ever take again. Like Oldracer, I now have my fail-safe defaults saved as a custom set, and when possible I will leave focus priority set too, electing to turn it off if I think it will interfere with what I'm doing.
  13. rwisem

rwisem Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2012
    Sequim, Washington, USA
    Roger Wiseman
    K, thanks for your response. I misspoke on the button as it is actually an L-fn button. The available options are:

2.AF Stop

5.Exposure comp

8.One touch WB

9.AF area

10.AF Home

11.Manual focus

13.Test picture

14.various MySets

15.Live Guide

16.Digital Tele

17. HDR bracket

I suppose this could be for lens control on some lenses, but I don't understand all the options, which don't apply to lenses. Here is a pic of the Button Function menu screen on my E-PL6. Are you saying you don't have the L-fn button setting option? I'm running firmware V1.1 on the camera.

Attached Files:

14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I have that option as well.. so we are one the same page. Some lenses do have an function or fn button not sure which ones... maybe the 12-50 kit lens?. Its just a button.. so the options you can apply to it are not restricted to the lens, and in some situations make sense with certain lenses... for example i could see option 7 ... which i think is DOF preview, making sense if your lens supported it as you could invoke that with the left hand while you righthand worked the shutter and other stuff

Not sure this solves your initial problem

15. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    I've mentioned the maze of the menus several times. The thing I REALLY miss about my Canon cameras are the C settings. Being able to move from a snapshot mode to HDR mode in one click was a real timesaver.
  16. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I gave my E-M5 with Oly 17 1.8 lens to my wife to shoot some candids at an important event, at which I was honored. I thought - great camera, great lens, simple; what could go wrong? Well, the shots were ALL out of focus. I guess the lens ring was pulled back into the MF position. Idiot or victim? Not sure. There were some good iPhone shots, though.
  17. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    When my 17 f1.8 was new, I did exactly the same thing. I couldn't understand why my camera was stuck in MF mode. Nothing I did on the menus would get it back to AF. I thought, what the heck, this new lens is already broken. Doh, it was because the focus ring was in the MF position. Happens with my 12-40 too, so something to watch for. Plenty of idiocy to go around for all of us. :)