I'm all in….the OM system.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Photorebel, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    OM D micro 4 /3rds system

I thought I'd keep a 6D at least…and a couple of lens. IQ..is superb..no question. But what good is a camera, you don't take with you? Fact is, I love taking the OM E1…with me. I enjoy shooting with it, I'm happy with the IQ. So ALL of my DSLR system is gone.
    I have added…OM E D5 as backup…(after price dropped, and current rebate on OM..buy body and lens…12-40…get $200 off) With two bodies, several lenses…I'm all in, and I feel pretty good about it. My last weekend, I took the OM shooting, and was happy with results. I still have much to learn about getting most out of camera. But it's so cool to take a body and three lenses in a small bag, that doesn't feel like a back of rocks, weight wise.

Not saying I'll never go back to DSLR, but..it looks doubtful.

I should also point out, though I've done paid work…(weddings, portraits) I am not a pro. This is what works for me.

Jeff

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    As great as so many of the m4/3s cameras are it is really amazing to see first what the E-M5 did in bringing DSLR users to the format, and now what the E-M1 is doing in that regard as well.

Also amazing to see so many people now dumping their DSLRs completely. I hung on for a while with dual systems, but have now been DSLR-free for maybe six months. It has not been an issue for me.

3. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    I feel pretty good about my decision. I had so much fun shooting with OM E1..that last couple of months..and barely used my Canon stuff. Kind of obvious to me what I should do. That said, that's just me. Some may always prefer their DSLRs..and that's cool. You have to go with what you are happy with. For me…the m4/3rds system..has brought the fun back into photography.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It took me over a year and a half (and to be fair, Sony releasing the A7R) for me to drop DSLRs altogether. They're still a great solution for many folks, but the mirrorless twins suit my style much better.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For what it's worth, the OM system was Olympus's 135 format film camera system, which was officially discontinued in 2002. From what you say, it sounds like you're invested in the m4/3 system, which is a different kettle of fish entirely!

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Was it really as late as that?

7. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
  8. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    And to be accurate, He left off the "D". I had to read the post a couple times, to be sure? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Your Funny Uncle

Your Funny Uncle Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    York, UK.
    Rob
    Whatever you call the system, I agree with the OP. I was a Sony A-Mount shooter, and my A77 convinced me that I didn't need an optical viewfinder. I decided that mirrorless would be the way forward, but NEX never grabbed me.

When I saw the E-M1 I knew that was the camera for me; a mini-DSLR with retro looks and loads of customisable controls. The A7(r) was tempting but with the full frame DOF/IQ advantage comes the size/weight disadvantage with respect to lenses, and the lack of IBIS was an issue for me.

I love being able to walk around with 24-200mm equivalent of stabilised f/2.8 glass in the bag that used to hold my A77 and 16-50/2.8.

10. pen2omd

pen2omd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    California
    On a side note, how do you like the OM 21mm on the A7r?
    I am looking for a wide lens for my A7r and just bought (but not received yet) a OM 18mm.

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I for one would have preferred the OM brand kept as is and new cameras released with E-M model numbers to distinguish format differences.

There isn't a PEN-D??

I digress.

12. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
  13. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I had the OM-4Ti. A beautiful piece of equipment, but I actually got along with the OM-1 better.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Bah, numbers and letters are overrated. :tongue:

15. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I finally turned in the last of my (Canon) DSLRs, too. The revelation was two parts: the EM1's passable PDAF for telephoto removed the last hurdle to dump my 7D (although I'm anticipating a fast long tele), and the 12-40 gave me the IQ, zoom range, and flash-friendly f/2.8 that let me dump my 5D2+580EX.

There are times when I wish I had a little less DOF when shooting wide angle candid portraits, but otherwise it has been a panacea. The sensor improvements that came with the EM5 mean I'm not even giving up a noticeable amount of IQ, and I can even blow an exposure by a stop and not need to throw the photo away as with older 43rds/M43 cameras.

My shooting style is eve starting to change now that I dumped the 5D2. I'm using the touch screen to shoot quite a bit. I never got along with Canon's AF point selection systems, but choosing a focus point with the EM1 is easy and accurate. My keeper rate is very near 100% now.

The worst part about the EM1+12-40+FL600R combo? Shooting bounce flash with the live view LCD. I frequently blast myself in the face with the flash. There are times when I still think I can see rectangles burned into my retinas. :)

16. Rallyroo

Rallyroo Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    My Nikon gear is still sitting in the closet (used once in the past two years) and I've very tempted to dump it all and use the money from the sale to get more m4/3 lenses and come out with extra money too.

17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Nice one! I did the same thing last year...5D Mark II and a bunch of L lenses...I thought I'd keep it around for a little bit with the 135L...but ended up selling the whole lot when I fell in love with the OM-D!

18. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Dewi
    That says it all really, I feel exactly the same about my little E-PL5 which I bought about a month ago purely to do my travel photography with. Every time I pick it up a smile comes to my face. I've spent most of my (long) photographic life shooting roll film & 35mm, then medium format during the 8 years spent earning a living from my photography. Those years destroyed a lot of the pleasure of my picture taking. After retiring from it I went digital with a few compacts to record my travels, eventually gravitating to a DSLR. I started enjoying taking pictures again on cheap Canons, I never buy expensive cameras now, (present one is a Canon 550D) they lose money so quickly, it's poor economy - worse than buyng a new car! Besides, a good photographer will always get a decent photo from any camera that works. :smile: I'll keep the Canon and even replace it with another when it breaks. I do a bit of motorsport photography so like a bigger camera for that.

Since going to m4/3 I'm really enjoying my photography again, I don't even know why, but this little PEN makes taking photos a delight, I think it's a fantastic little format which produces excellent results. On the days I can't get out to photograph things I'll get it out of it's bag, look at it - and smile.

D

19. Photorebel

Photorebel Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2013
    Jeff Mims
    That's exactly how I feel, I'm enjoying photography again. While the OM D system isn't cheap, I agree..a good photographer can get good pictures from any working camera. The OM D system, provides high quality and makes if fun me to shoot again.
    And I never made my living from photography, I have done paid work, and used medium format for years also. Just enjoying photography again.