I'll just leave these here

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by beanedsprout, Sep 18, 2014.

1. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Nice! I had that lens on my old Olympus E-420. There was definitely something special about it.
  2. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    The AF sucks on anything mft except the EM1. But it was as sharp if not sharper than my 75. I need to pull the GF1 apart and fill in the "lumix" and the "L" and repaint it though
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    That's curious . . . I have the Vario-Elmar version (1:3.8-5.6) of this same lens and it auto focuses just fine on all three of the M4/3 camera bodies that I own (G1, F1 and EPL-1). The focus time with this lens might possibly be a hair slower than with the real M4/3 lenses I have, but it certainly focuses within workable limits. I wonder what the difference is?

It's big and it's heavy, but I love the IQ of this lens.

4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The 14-50mm Elmar as well as the legendary 14-150mm Elmar have AF motors designed to play nicely with contrast detect AF, whereas the older 14-50mm Elmarit has a micromotor that requires phase detect AF to focus quickly. Incidentally, on the E-M1 with it's phase detect AF array there is not a whole lot to be gained in the AF speed of the 14-150mm Elmar and it will often fail to find focus in sub-optimal conditions. On my old contrast detect AF only Panasonic GH1 the AF failure rate is much lower. By comparison the 14-50mm Elmarit gets a huge boost in AF speed when used on the E-M1 and will find focus more reliably.

I think that Olympus could work on turning their contrast and phase detect AF into a hybrid system rather than being independent of each other.
  5. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    There are some lenses that are "optimized" for use with CDAF and some that need a software update and some that just don't play well. A list of the optimized ones can be found here: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/di004043e.cfm
    The slower Leica zoom is on that list, but the one I own is not. It focuses just fine (albeit not as quickly as native glass) on my EM1.

But I mean, I'm mostly trying to show off the Asian-only market GF1 with the Leitz badge coupled with the Leica glass. Lol