1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

I'll just leave these here

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by beanedsprout, Sep 18, 2014.

1. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
  2. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Nice! I had that lens on my old Olympus E-420. There was definitely something special about it.

3. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    The AF sucks on anything mft except the EM1. But it was as sharp if not sharper than my 75. I need to pull the GF1 apart and fill in the "lumix" and the "L" and repaint it though

• Like Like x 1
  4. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    That's curious . . . I have the Vario-Elmar version (1:3.8-5.6) of this same lens and it auto focuses just fine on all three of the M4/3 camera bodies that I own (G1, F1 and EPL-1). The focus time with this lens might possibly be a hair slower than with the real M4/3 lenses I have, but it certainly focuses within workable limits. I wonder what the difference is?

15289096412_d707a8d3b3_b.

It's big and it's heavy, but I love the IQ of this lens.

dp

5. The 14-50mm Elmar as well as the legendary 14-150mm Elmar have AF motors designed to play nicely with contrast detect AF, whereas the older 14-50mm Elmarit has a micromotor that requires phase detect AF to focus quickly. Incidentally, on the E-M1 with it's phase detect AF array there is not a whole lot to be gained in the AF speed of the 14-150mm Elmar and it will often fail to find focus in sub-optimal conditions. On my old contrast detect AF only Panasonic GH1 the AF failure rate is much lower. By comparison the 14-50mm Elmarit gets a huge boost in AF speed when used on the E-M1 and will find focus more reliably.

I think that Olympus could work on turning their contrast and phase detect AF into a hybrid system rather than being independent of each other.

6. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    There are some lenses that are "optimized" for use with CDAF and some that need a software update and some that just don't play well. A list of the optimized ones can be found here: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/di004043e.cfm
    The slower Leica zoom is on that list, but the one I own is not. It focuses just fine (albeit not as quickly as native glass) on my EM1.

But I mean, I'm mostly trying to show off the Asian-only market GF1 with the Leitz badge coupled with the Leica glass. Lol