1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ilford ID-11

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Julius, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    I'm going to develop my first film with ID-11 (I have the 2.5 liters), my problem is that i have to develop just two hp5 plus and i don't want to dilute the whole powder, 2.5 liters it's too much and the storage time it's only 6 months.
    So it's correct if i'm going to dilute only half liter by weighting the two part of powder?
    Sorry for my bad english! :frown:

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    No, mixing only part of the powder is very, very unreliable.

ID-11, like most developers, is a blend of several chemicals. Due to the nature of the different chemicals, their crystal size and shape and weight, they will not reliably stay mixed evenly throughout the blend. Attempting to divide the power will result in differing percentages of the various components in each division.

Also, opening the package will allow air, its moisture and oxygen, to contact the chemicals and will start their ageing. The opened mix will expire as quickly if left as a dry powder as it will mixed with water.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    Thank you very much. So my only choice is to shoot more rolls.

4. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    You can prepare the full 2,5 litres, and use five 0.5 litre dark bottles filled to the top to store it. Developer goes off from oxidation, in a full bottle it will last a lot longer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    +1

You can also carry this a bit to the extreme (as I used to do...) by heating the water on the stove until it just begins to simmer and then letting it cool to the proper mixing temp. Mix in the powder being careful to stir without creating any turbulence that will add air to the mix. The pour the mix into tank sized bottles full to the brim. I used 8oz bottles since I used my developer 1:1 in a tank that took 16oz; 1 bottle = one tankload.

• Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have used Ilford ID-11 and Kodak D-76 (same thing) for quite some time in the distant past. I too followed the practice of dividing the made-up solution over 125ml brown glass bottles filled to the rim and use each bottle for developing 1 film, diluting it 1:1 to get my Kindermann tank filled with 250ml.

It struck me at the time that bottles that were kept for a longer time (a month or longer if I remember correctly) developed the film to a higher contrast and more grain. Freshly made solution provided finer grain and the compensating development for which ID-11 and D-76 were famous; the compensating effect seemed to disappear gradually from developer when kept too long. Later I switched to Ilford Microphen which is very easy going stuff when it comes to keeping: I just kept it in brown glass bottles and took what I needed for a one-shot 1:1 diluted 250ml, leaving the bottles partly filled. Never had any problems with that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    Thank you for the info. I have another dumb question, after the develop of a roll can i reuse it for other rolls?

8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Standard practice in my time was to use a 1:1 diluted solution only once. I guess that the second roll will come out differently, most probably lower density. I never used the solution twice so I can't tell.

• Like Like x 1