If you've never dealt with MPB Camera you might want to consider them

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
Dear Board,

Just a short note to say how pleased I am with my first ever transaction with MPB Camera.

I wanted a wider angle lens for my M4/3's cameras and asked about one several weeks ago on the Native lens forum. Several people suggested the Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-f6.3 as a lens worth considering for it's range, it's macro ability, and it's weathersealing.

I found one at MPB, and added it to my cart. I decided that rather than buy the lens outright, I would offer several items that I no longer used in trade. I had a Canon EOS 1DMK2 and an EOS 40D that hadn't been used for several years. So I filled out their form and waited for a response. It came within a day and said we'll send you the lens and pay you a couple of bucks for your trade-ins. I thought was too good to be true so I offered the same items to several other retailers who do online trade-ins. To my surprise MPB offered me more money for the 1DMK2 than the anyone else offered me for both cameras, and the difference was significant.

So I boxed them up and sent them off for a real inspection. They arrived and and I got an email stating that MPB would confirm their offer within a day after inspecting the cameras. I figured, here goes, they'll come back with a counter-offer?

And they did! To my surprise they offered me even more money back, so I pulled the trigger on the Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-f6-3.

If you've used their services that might not be a surprise to you, but I was pleasantly surprised, and will continue to use them when searching for used gear.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
They give you more than other places, but they also charge more for the products. Usedphotopro, a division of Roberts Camera pays about the same and charges about the same. KEH doesn't give you as much, but they charge less.

Usedphotopro gave me $70 for an FZ-70, MPB offered the same, KEH offered $35.

I have a body coming from MPB as we speak, it's supposed to be here tomorrow. Just got a lens from KEH. I deal with both, but my experience so far is (generally speaking) sell to MPB, buy from KEH.

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
They give you more than other places, but they also charge more for the products. Usedphotopro, a division of Roberts Camera pays about the same and charges about the same. KEH doesn't give you as much, but they charge less.

Usedphotopro gave me $70 for an FZ-70, MPB offered the same, KEH offered $35.

I have a body coming from MPB as we speak, it's supposed to be here tomorrow. Just got a lens from KEH. I deal with both, but my experience so far is (generally speaking) sell to MPB, buy from KEH.
Dear Brownie,

All the places you mentioned are great places from which to buy. I've bought from UsedPhotoPro and KEH for a decade or more. However, MPB is the only place I'll trade with, and just did a second deal with them today. UsedPhotoPro and KEH were once again soundly trounced on the trade-in offer. I'm not trading late model, latest spec gear, but it is fully usable and someone will find value in it. I know I got maybe 60-65% of what the items I traded were worth to sell privately, but it beats the 35% offered by the others by a wide margin.

On the plus side, I no longer have to deal with the tire kickers and wannabees that can't bring the dough to pay the price in a Craigslist ad?

It's all good ,and there are plenty of options no matter which way you want to go!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
However, MPB is the only place I'll trade with, and just did a second deal with them today.
And I just turned down a trade with them. After two days of me ignoring their offer, they sent an email asking if I wanted to discuss the deal. I politely told them they were a little low, and I am selling outright. I thanked them for their offer and was excessively polite.

I will bet you lunch that based on past experience, I get an email tomorrow upping their offer.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have bought two lenses from MPB. Both lenses were were as described and have worked perfectly for years. My experience with them was positive.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would assume the two Canon bodies would be easily 2X the 12-50 in a private trade, but when you deal with a pro reseller the value you get back can plummet as a trade-off for perceived security.

I've had hundreds of private transactions on various forums for photo and audio gear, with only a few minor hiccups, all of which were pretty easily resolved. I made one purchase from mpb and had issues, and it was a major pain to resolve. Obviously everyone's experience can and does vary, but I'd rather deal with established members who I "know" every day of the week. We tend to put treating each other with mutual respect over making a profit on a sale. mu43s buy/sell and FM every time for me. And we all pack better than Amazon or B&H!

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I have bought from MPB, KEH, and Usedphotopro with absolutely no problems. I have bought lenses, camera bodies, and bags and have been totally pleased by the quality, the description, the pictures, and the quick shipping.

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
I would assume the two Canon bodies would be easily 2X the 12-50 in a private trade, but when you deal with a pro reseller the value you get back can plummet as a trade-off for perceived security.
Dear demiro,

Here is the funny thing. I had the Canon's listed for sale on Craiglist and other forums for a total of $ 300.00 with chargers and multiple batteries and got nothing but low ballers and tire kickers. So I took the $ 250.00 from MPB. And I never had to leave my house!

I may not be the greatest used camera buyer or seller, but I have handled hundreds of transactions involving trade-ins as a heavy equipment salesman. I know what things are worth, and I also know what it takes to get that worth out of them. Cameras are not bulldozers or excavators, and I understand that. But I traded with no absolutely no risk to me, and was paid for the trades.

I'm good with passing the risk for disposal on to someone else for a couple of dollars in my pocket.

YMMV

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
There's another I ran into unexpectedly. Bought a Minolta Maxxum 7000 body from them, and they're right in my backyard. Called the Camera Exchange, they have both Amazon and eBay listings. Some nice old gear on the eBay side. Camera I purchased was as described, and they accepted an offer.

www.cameraexc.com

@Darmok N Jalad didn't you purchase something from a lens rental place? How did that go?

One other note, if anyone is looking, KEH has a 365 day warranty on all gear down through bargain grade through the end of the year.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
There's another I ran into unexpectedly. Bought a Minolta Maxxum 7000 body from them, and they're right in my backyard. Called the Camera Exchange, they have both Amazon and eBay listings. Some nice old gear on the eBay side. Camera I purchased was as described, and they accepted an offer.

www.cameraexc.com

@Darmok N Jalad didn't you purchase something from a lens rental place? How did that go?

One other note, if anyone is looking, KEH has a 365 day warranty on all gear down through bargain grade through the end of the year.
Yes, I've purchased a few things from Lens Authority. They appear to only sell, not buy, but I've had pretty good luck with them, too. I even had a return to do and they were quick to respond and the return was easy. They are the most dangerous for me, being one state away, shipping is near immediate.

WT21

Super Moderator
I've done dueling quotes with KEH and MPB. I found they one has offered more than the other at different times for different items. In short, I've found them both good, and I usually decide based on what they have in stock, or the offer they are giving me on my gear. I've not gone the trade route, though. Strictly buy or sell.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Dear demiro,

Here is the funny thing. I had the Canon's listed for sale on Craiglist and other forums for a total of $ 300.00 with chargers and multiple batteries and got nothing but low ballers and tire kickers. So I took the $ 250.00 from MPB. And I never had to leave my house!

I may not be the greatest used camera buyer or seller, but I have handled hundreds of transactions involving trade-ins as a heavy equipment salesman. I know what things are worth, and I also know what it takes to get that worth out of them. Cameras are not bulldozers or excavators, and I understand that. But I traded with no absolutely no risk to me, and was paid for the trades.

I'm good with passing the risk for disposal on to someone else for a couple of dollars in my pocket.

YMMV

Regards,

Tim Murphy

$250 seems solid to me, with no worries about a hinky buyer. Can't argue with that deal. I will say that I don't consider Craigslist a good option though, especially in Harrisburg area [unfortunately for us. I'm near Lancaster].

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
$250 seems solid to me, with no worries about a hinky buyer. Can't argue with that deal. I will say that I don't consider Craigslist a good option though, especially in Harrisburg area [unfortunately for us. I'm near Lancaster].
Dear demiro,

Yes, Craiglist around here is definitely a crap shoot. I've had one successful sale in multiple attempts with camera gear. Oddly enough, it was the most expensive camera item I ever listed? I've done better selling things like canoes and boats, but camera gear is hardly worth advertising except for the fact that it can be done for free, and you just may get lucky. I've sold a few items on FredMiranda.com without issue though.

I'm just glad that there are more options for disposal of surplus gear now.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Got my first order from MPB today. A Sony A65 body in 'Good' condition.

The SD slot is screwed up. Can't get a card in it. I tried to call, no answer. Sent an email, their response:

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us!
I do apologize that you are having issues with your gear. Please provide us with a photo or video showing the issue described, and I'd be happy to set up a return for you!

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I would be happy to help!

Best Regards,
Kara
MPB

How am I supposed to take a photo of the inside of a card slot? Stupid person with a canned response.

Utter nonsense. Now I have to jump through their hoops and hopefully get my $ back in a few weeks. And with the holidays, who knows how long this will take?

And she is unable to explain how this camera got out the door with a screwed up card slot. I would say their inspection procedures are flawed at the very least. Any further business with them will be based on their response and performance in resolving this.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I spoke with them on the phone, and they issued a call tag. It will be 3 weeks before I get my $ back. I asked how they let a camera with a screwed up car slot get out the door, she said sometimes they miss something. I asked how they can test a camera without putting a card in the slot.

Crickets.

The fact is, they didn't test this body.

She had the gall to ask me if I wanted a refund or an exchange.

You're joking...right?

I have dealt with MPB before. I sold off some stuff to them. Prices were a little low, but then again, I didn't have to deal with low ball offers (when I list on this forum), pay a commission to ebay and Paypal etc. so all in all the prices I got were acceptable.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom