If you were to add a second system, what would it be?

What second camera system would you go with?

• Fuji

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • Canon

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Nikon

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • Medium Format

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Leica

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Magua

Mu-43 Regular
Assuming here that money was no object, it would be MF. Probably the Fuji...but it won't happen. I really couldn't justify it at all, but I just love the way MF comes across. I can't put my finger on it.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
Assuming here that money was no object, it would be MF. Probably the Fuji...but it won't happen. I really couldn't justify it at all, but I just love the way MF comes across. I can't put my finger on it.
Well, the most affordable used digital MF camera is the Pentax 645D. It is big, but the files are so much sweeter than FF for sure. High ISO sucks though unless you go for the more expensive Fuji MF. I think the Nikon Z6 and the A7III are good compromises.

Magua

Mu-43 Regular
Well, the most affordable used digital MF camera is the Pentax 645D. It is big, but the files are so much sweeter than FF for sure.
I shot Pentax for many years and long coveted the 645D. Some of the landscape shots on "that forum" were astounding. It's a load for sure but nothing to the old 67. What a boat anchor! Beautiful to be sure but you better have some decent biceps and a ROCK solid tripod.:laugh1:

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, the most affordable used digital MF camera is the Pentax 645D. It is big, but the files are so much sweeter than FF for sure. High ISO sucks though unless you go for the more expensive Fuji MF. I think the Nikon Z6 and the A7III are good compromises.
Give it a year or two when the next gen Fuji comes out with the 100mp and the used prices will drop a reasonable amount, the Pentax is a good option if you don't need high ISO and can stand the weight a lot of the lenses are very very nice. The only thing that puts me off the Pentax, Phase One etc is the weight but would consider it in a studio setting do wish someone would make a larger sensor like a 6x7. The Fuji and Hassleblad are compared to a 645 120 film frame crop cameras though and they are that nice 4/3 ration.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
I shot Pentax for many years and long coveted the 645D. Some of the landscape shots on "that forum" were astounding. It's a load for sure but nothing to the old 67. What a boat anchor! Beautiful to be sure but you better have some decent biceps and a ROCK solid tripod.:laugh1:
Oh yeah, I forgot the 6x7! I shot with Pentax film cameras in my early years and my memorable cameras then were the Pentax LX, 645 and 6x7 and even worked for the company for a few years. Th 6x7 was one sweet camera; big chunky boat anchor which acted quite nicely as a free gym pass. That is like you said to train my biceps.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Used to have the Pentax 67, it was heavy as, the Mamiya 7 much nicer weight to be walking around with theough the Pentax is light compared to the RB/RZ67 cameras.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
Give it a year or two when the next gen Fuji comes out with the 100mp and the used prices will drop a reasonable amount, the Pentax is a good option if you don't need high ISO and can stand the weight a lot of the lenses are very very nice. The only thing that puts me off the Pentax, Phase One etc is the weight but would consider it in a studio setting do wish someone would make a larger sensor like a 6x7. The Fuji and Hassleblad are compared to a 645 120 film frame crop cameras though and they are that nice 4/3 ration.
I am very happy with the MFT format; perfect format 4/3 ratio that I always liked. The Fuji MF GFX 50R range finder is something I like as a form factor, image format and the compactness. Plus it is cheaper than the bigger model. With the Fujinon GF 63mm f/2.8 WR, I could live with this setup as my only lens! I know of a master equine and award winning photographer who owns the GFX 50S with this lens and the photos are DA BOMB! Another photographer I know who is sponsored by Fuji (both of these photogs are) who is currently using the range finder version for street photography. Just beautiful bokeh, tonal range and dynamic range! Let's hope that those 100MP Fujis become reality..

Magua

Mu-43 Regular
Oh yeah, I forgot the 6x7! I shot with Pentax film cameras in my early years and my memorable cameras then were the Pentax LX, 645 and 6x7 and even worked for the company for a few years. Th 6x7 was one sweet camera; big chunky boat anchor which acted quite nicely as a free gym pass. That is like you said to train my biceps.
I never got the LX, but still have the KX and MX, and several others. I need to sell my K-50 to help cover a new Pen F. I'll keep all of my old Pentax film cameras though as they fill a bookcase in my living room! I still have a mini fridge half full of 35mm I need to shoot up but I'm having so much fun w/m4/3, I can't be bothered.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
oes sending my 500 C/M back to Hasselblad for cleaning & relubing count?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Mel
My wife and I have a full complement of Nikon cameras and lenses. D750, D800, D2x, 300mm f4, 300mm 2,8, 70-200 2.8, 24-85mm 2.8/4, 28-75 2.8 Tamron, 12-24mm Sigma, 180mm 3.5 Macro Sigma, older 35-70 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, and even older MF lenses. We now have OMD EM1, OMD E5ii, OMD EM 10, Panasonic g5, 12-40mm Olympus Pro 2.8, 40-150mm 2.8 Pro, 40-150 Kit lens, 25mm 1.7 Panasonic, 60mm 2.8 Sigma. I know, too many and not all are being used. Wife still uses Nikon in studio but has been edging closer and closer to Olympus.

Real Name
Mel
full complement?? where is the 1200-1700mm f/5.6-8.0 ??
A full complement of lenses we would ever use. I have tried the longer lenses including the 500mm Nikon but it was too darned heavy. I could not begin to carry a 1200-1700. I have a friend who shoots sports for a major newspaper and I doubt he would consider this in his arsenal. :)

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
My second system would be for landscapes, almost exclusively, so I would want a wide lens (~24mm equiv, or so) and a long lens (~100mm-200mm equiv, or so), and I only shoot primes.

As such:

1. If I had a lot of money: Fuji GFX + 23mm + 120mm/250mm

2. If they made a good wide angle prime and tele prime: Pentax K-1 + ??? + ???

3. If it was weathersealed: Sony A7ii + Loxia 21mm + Batis 135mm

4. If they made a 24mm lens that wasn't ugly as sin and huge: Nikon Z6 + ??? + ???

amp

Mu-43 Veteran
I once had Pentax, and was happy with it, but wanted to go smaller. If I went with a 2nd system, it'd be back to Pentax for the Kp and a K1 with all the limited lenses.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I'm leaving Nikon as my vote even though I bought a Fuji X-E3. I added the Fuji for the shooting experience I was missing with my GX85 that i enjoy when using my Fuji X70.

Why am I leaving my Nikon vote? Because it's still the system I would choose if I found m4/3 lacking in some capacity. The X-E3 isn't filling a capacity that m4/3 doesn't have, it's just the way you control it I'm finding I like.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
My second system would be for landscapes, almost exclusively, so I would want a wide lens (~24mm equiv, or so) and a long lens (~100mm-200mm equiv, or so), and I only shoot primes.

As such:

1. If I had a lot of money: Fuji GFX + 23mm + 120mm/250mm

2. If they made a good wide angle prime and tele prime: Pentax K-1 + ??? + ???

3. If it was weathersealed: Sony A7ii + Loxia 21mm + Batis 135mm

4. If they made a 24mm lens that wasn't ugly as sin and huge: Nikon Z6 + ??? + ???
Why a Z6 and not a Z7 for landscape?

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I've been in micro four thirds since the start. But I ran Pentax long before and for several years after adding mu43. Then I got an original Sony A7 and a couple of extra lenses (50mm f/1.8 and 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3). I bought an A7III when it came out and have added the Tamron FE 28-75 f/2.8, the Sony FE 16-35 f/4 and the 28, 35, 55 and 85 mm FE primes. I've said it before on this site and I'll say it again: Full frame and micro four thirds complement each other very nicely.

Last edited:

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Oh, just money, nothing more. Same reason why I'd get an A7ii and not an A7R iii. Though an A7R ii might be the sweet spot.
I've had an A7Rii - twice. Fantastic output, but at base ISO m43 is no slouch and the recent Oly cameras (probably Panasonic too) are so much nicer to use and have much better features compared to the Sony. Then there's the size and cost of the lenses. No - m43 does what i need it to do.

ddekadt

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I've had an A7Rii - twice. Fantastic output, but at base ISO m43 is no slouch and the recent Oly cameras (probably Panasonic too) are so much nicer to use and have much better features compared to the Sony. Then there's the size and cost of the lenses. No - m43 does what i need it to do.
Precisely why I don't have two systems ;).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom