If you were to add a second system, what would it be?

What second camera system would you go with?

• Fuji

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • Canon

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Nikon

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • Medium Format

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Leica

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters
Real Name
Loren
I really don’t want to run two systems, and m4/3 does all I need. So, it would have to be a really great system to get me to join. But if I had to, or if I thought m4/3 was in trouble, I would wait to see what full frame mirrorless cameras Nikon and Canon come up with. I would not go with a DSLR.

If I had to choose another system today, it would probably be a Sony full frame like the A9 or A7RIII, but if I were going to do that, I’d already have done it.

Linden

Mu-43 Regular
I suppose I already have three systems going, since I’m in a transition. I picked up MFT as a second smaller/lighter system to complement my Canon gear and for travel/family. I would have bought into the EOS M system but was very frustrated with its lackluster offerings. The EM1.2 got me hooked on mirrorless, so I bought the Sony A7III, 28-70, and 70-200 2.8 GM to test out the system until Canon possibly announces/releases its rumored FF mirrorless later this year. If it’s really amazing, I may sell the Sony and keep my collection of Canon glass. If it’s as crippled as I expect it to be, then my Canon gear is going to be sold in favor of Sony gear... so I’ll eventually end up with two systems.

Kennikins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Im so close to buying an X1D-50c.....the body weighs 740grams for god sake! I have handled and shot my brothers. It is gorgeous and simple and kind of what apple would do if they made a medium format camera....but I cant justify it, im just not that serious a photographer. Mind you I know a few guys who have a Porsche and they cant drive for sh*t......oh god I think I am persuading myself....

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well I already did.
I came from Nikon DX to m43, for a lighter/smaller kit, for when I don't want to haul the DSLR out.
After thinking about it, I would go FX/FF. DX is a bit close to m4/3. I would rather separate the format a bit more, to get more IQ, and go to FX/FF. The IQ difference between m4/3 and FX/FF is larger than m4/3 and DX.
And it has been tempting to get a FX/FF D750 + 24-120/4 to replace my DX D7200 + 18-140, but I spent this years camera budget and more on my m4/3 kit. So any FF gear has to wait till mid next year, when my budget has recovered.

But the Hasselblad 501C/M + 40+80+180 CFi kit has been calling me.

Matero

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I was in Fuji, and really liked the X-T1. However m43, E-M5.2 and E-P5 and bunch of glass shared with my wife took over. I recently added Nikon Df for manual experience with legacy Nikkor glass and brand new Voigtländer Nokton 58. I’m happy now

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Im so close to buying an X1D-50c.....the body weighs 740grams for god sake! I have handled and shot my brothers. It is gorgeous and simple and kind of what apple would do if they made a medium format camera....but I cant justify it, im just not that serious a photographer. Mind you I know a few guys who have a Porsche and they cant drive for sh*t......oh god I think I am persuading myself....
I had one for a while, bought to do a job that required large files then sold it again. It is a beautiful camera and looks so much nicer than the Fuji offerings like comparing a Pen-f to an EOS body but at the moment its way too much in value to have lying around. As we are looking to move North so we can get a far far better house for the money the one project I would want larger files for is impossible in the house we are in. I made a healthy on it and if I can do the project I want will buy one at that time when I hope there will be ones available with the next gen sensor (100mp), with it I am looking at very very large prints A0 at least. So for me the choice above is Medium Format that now gives similar IQ to large format and from what I gather 100mp goes beyond 10x8.

JG Hall

Mu-43 Regular
I'd probably either go for one of the Fuji Medium Format cameras or a Sony FF. More likely to go for a Fuji MF. Or... just get a Mint Instantflex TF70 :D

WT21

Super Moderator
I had forgotten about this. Just changed my vote from Sony to Nikon. I won’t be doing it, but if I had the cash, time and need, that’s the camera I’d like to try next.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If MF ever gets cheap enough, that's what I would buy. Probably not in my lifetime, because sensor costs have distorted everything.

In the film days medium format was not that much more expensive than 35mm. In the January 1974 issue of Modern Photography there was an SLR buying guide showing list prices for body plus normal lens (f2 to f1.8 for 35, f2.8 for 120/220):

35mm
Leicaflex SL $1089
Nikon F2S Photomic $765
Canon F1 $593
Olympus OM-1 $400
Pentax Spotmatic F $380

120/220
Rollei SL66 $1290
Pentax 67 $1049
Hassleblad 500CM $995
Mamiya RB67 $756

Notice that the Pentax 67 cost more than a Hassleblad and the Leicaflex was more than both of them!!! There wasn't the huge price gulf that we have today.

I had forgotten about this. Just changed my vote from Sony to Nikon. I won’t be doing it, but if I had the cash, time and need, that’s the camera I’d like to try next.
I would also vote for a z6 if it were selling used for less than $800. Maybe in a few years....

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
What; no Panasonic on the vote list?!? :daz:

My second camera is the Panasonic ZS-100. I really like the compactness and the Leica lens on it isn't all too bad; from 24mm - 70mm (35mm eqv) is sharp. I combine it with my E-P5 for the ultra-wide and low light (7.5mm f/3.5 Fisheye & 25mm 1.4) for a complete travel compact system. Dynamic range is similar to my E-P5 @ the lower ISO. I'm happy. Maybe an FF system like the A7III in the near future when used prices come down a bit lower (like the sale we have on the A7II kit) since we now have more choices from Canon and Nikon. I would consider the Sony A7III or the Nikon Z6 as a serious IQ upgrade to my E-P5.

Last edited:

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
My
What; no Panasonic on the vote list?!? :daz:

My second camera is the Panasonic ZS-100. I really like the compactness and the Leica lens on it isn't all too bad; from 24mm - 70mm (35mm eqv) is sharp. I combine it with my E-P5 for the ultra-wide and low light (7.5mm f/3.5 Fisheye & 25mm 1.4) for a complete travel compact system. Dynamic range is similar to my E-P5 @ the lower ISO. I'm happy. Maybe an FF system in the near future when used prices come down a bit lower since we now have more choices from Canon and Nikon.
My MFT cameras are Panasonic.
note also the options are interchangable lens models otherwise they wouldn't count as a 2nd system

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
My

My MFT cameras are Panasonic.
note also the options are interchangable lens models otherwise they wouldn't count as a 2nd system
Oh, I was thinking along the line of the new Panasonic full frame cameras as in the vote list; the S1 and S1R. I know they are not yet available, but that could be another system I may add the S1 in the future, as opposed, to the Sony FF because I really love the touch screen on my Panasonic ZS-100 and the color science on the newer Panasonic. I find the Panasonic's color science similar to the Nikon and I like the Leica lens rendering (bokeh and micro-contrast) more than Zeiss. Which is why I own 2 Pana Leica primes and the ZS-100. :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom