If you were to add a second system, what would it be?

What second camera system would you go with?

• Fuji

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • Canon

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Nikon

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • Medium Format

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 37 26.2%
  • Leica

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
I have just bought a 28 Nikkor PC lens which for the time being will live on my D300. But a FF Nikon is on the cards, mainly for this lens for architecture.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I'm looking at 1" BSI pocket rockets. Need to find one with a hot shoe. Why don't they make one with a hot shoe, like the old RX100's?
My problem with all of them is the power zoom, I hate power zooms.

But hot shoe? EVF and or LCD. Sony dropped it when they added the EVF, there wasn't room for the EVF, built in flash, and the shoe. They could have addressed this with a little shoe flash. But the camera batteries are already pretty limited and that would be another thing you needed to bring along. For Panasonic and Canon having one would require a change to the LCD. It would probably need to be smaller and and a change to the tilt/selfie mode.

Have you considered the LX100? Maybe not a pocket rocket, but a nice option it you can deal with the power zoom.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
But it's a Canon..... :eek::D:p
he he he
Yes, I'm a Nikon shooter from the 1970s.
Rather than buy Canon lens and adapt it to m4/3, I would just get m4/3 lenses.
If I want to go APS-C or FF, I would use or add to my Nikon gear.
If I want a LONG lens, I put my Nikon 500mm mirror lens onto a Nikon-F to m4/3 adapter.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
he he he
Yes, I'm a Nikon shooter from the 1970s.
Rather than buy Canon lens and adapt it to m4/3, I would just get m4/3 lenses.
If I want to go APS-C or FF, I would use or add to my Nikon gear.
If I want a LONG lens, I put my Nikon 500mm mirror lens onto a Nikon-F to m4/3 adapter.
Now you're talking.

I have considered Fuji and I have the X70. But I'm not sure how much it would add (if anything) to what I have. And that coming from someone that LOVED the S5 Pro (but then again, that was a Nikon mount as well).

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I just don't understand adding a DSLR system back to one's kit after using a mirrorless system like M4/3. I just can't fathom carting one of those around, let alone with a selection of lenses!

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just don't understand adding a DSLR system back to one's kit after using a mirrorless system like M4/3. I just can't fathom carting one of those around, let alone with a selection of lenses!
In my case, it would be for shooting in LOW light or active sports. Or a worse combo, night sports under lights.
The school year is over, so I can't try my Olympus E-M1-mk1 in that scenario till fall.

Yeah, I hear you. I went m4/3 to reduce the weight of my kit.

longviewer

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I just went back to a Pentax body. If I could have acquired a wx-sealed and IBIS :mu43: body + lens for $300 I'd have done so, but alas. I have many K-lenses anyway, and Pentax uses the Panasonic USB cable so it's an easy transition. Pentax does not 'do' video so the Lumix isn't threatened by this for moving images.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I'm looking at 1" BSI pocket rockets. Need to find one with a hot shoe. Why don't they make one with a hot shoe, like the old RX100's?
I think because if you bring along a flash, you've pretty much turned it into a "system" which defeats the design goal.

FWIW, my Canon G7X has a manual flash option that can trigger off-camera slave flash quite easily.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I have been spoiled by Micro 4/3 and any other system seems to be lacking what Olympus gives me (maybe except durability/reliability)
If Fuji however had a decent IBIS (but not the current single offering) I could possibly consider one body to be used with adapted vintage lenses, paired with a focal reducer. Micro 4/3 "cuts away" too much of the Field of View of 35mm film lenses...

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I already have a very large Canon system, FF and aps-c, but I voted Sony since I don’t expect Canon to come out with an affordable non-crippled FF mirrorless anytime soon.

While I don’t expect to get another Canon body, I will probably pick up more Canon mount (mostly like Sigma's) lens.

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
I already have a second system, Pentax DSLR but it's not on your list.
My third system (5x4 large format) isn't on there either.

If money & space weren't an issue, and I was to add yet another I suspect a FF mirrorless would be the most likely - to gain the original FOV on many of my adapted lenses. (A scanning back for my 5x4 is also not on your list...) But in the real world I have 101 higher priorities, probably including a dozen photographic projects that wouldn't need me to spend anything.

Even my older MFT bodies are good enough to do most of my shooting, the DSLR is more because I had it first but there are times it comes into it's own still.

Last edited:

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
It would be a Sony FF camera. The trouble is, I don't quite know what I'd do lens-wise. I really wish that Sony was able to make a compact, wide-range f4-5.6 zoom. Maybe 28-135mm. Around 400g.

Without such a lens, it really makes me question the utility of having such a camera, because without a useful all-around zoom, it simply wouldn't be the one that I would take with me on a trip. And if I'm not taking a $2000 camera on a trip when I have the opportunity to make the most interesting photos, why do I even have it in the first place?

The only reason I would want to upgrade to FF in the first place is for the effortless dynamic range. I generally like the image quality that I can get out of M4/3, but it generally does require me to abuse the RAW tone curve in post to get the look that I want, with pretty dramatic underexposure to protect nuances in the highlights. It would be nice if I didn't have to go through that rigmarole, and could get natural looking dynamic range and tones off the bat.

For that reason, APS-C is a write-off for me. Fuji is the only company APS-C company with a complete lens line-up, their cameras don't really have better dynamic range than the 20MP M4/3 options, and the only lenses they have that I would consider to be good value are their compact f/2 WR primes.

Last edited:

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
I just went back to a Pentax body. If I could have acquired a wx-sealed and IBIS :mu43: body + lens for $300 I'd have done so, but alas. I have many K-lenses anyway, and Pentax uses the Panasonic USB cable so it's an easy transition. Pentax does not 'do' video so the Lumix isn't threatened by this for moving images.
Can't you do that with an original E-M5 + 12-50mm?

Jon Li

Mu-43 Regular
Bought Sony A7ii + kit zoom lens n hv added Sony 16-35/4 zoom for night photography . Looking to upgrade the kit lens , may be the New Tamron 28-75/2.8 or Sony 24-105/4 but that is not in the near future .

M43 is still good for day light photography .

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'd look into the Fuji GFx. Do I need it? No. Can I afford it? No. :p But if I was going to add something different, and since I've already gotten a taste of FF with my old Nikon D700, might as well go big with medium format. :eek:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom