If you were in the market for a 45mm portrait lens...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JayShiva, Nov 21, 2011.

1. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    Would you go for the lovely new Oly 1.8 for Bokeh-tastic goodness and bargain basement (relatively speaking) price;

stump up the extra cash for the PL 45mm with the extra perk of macro funtimes, but sacrificing the nice wide aperture.

Opinions welcome.

2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Well on what i have been reading lately .

I would go for the panasonic :thumbup:
  3. JayShiva

JayShiva Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Yarm, UK
    Due to focussing issues?
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I went oly because I don't really do macro. And I needed faster focusing than the PL45.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    If you like macro, Panasonic. Otherwise, Olympus.

I loved the PL45 but sold it to buy the Olympus. No regrets, I love the Olympus even more.
  6. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Yes. And the colour :rofl:.
    Actually i am getting on very well with my Zuiko 50mm.
    Quick & easy with the G3. :thumbup:
  7. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I just ordered the 45/1.8, and for my uses, it was two factors that made the difference:

First off, the 45/1.8 is substantially smaller, so it's more likely to be with me.

Second, with the Olympus, a close-focus distance of 0.5m means it handles the bulk of my work, and I can easily add macro capabilities with a high-quality achromat for $50 or so. There's no way that I can make the Panasonic faster when I need it.

I suppose that if macro were my primary purpose, the Panasonic might make sense.
  8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If your primary purpose is to shoot portraits, then odds are f/2.8 ain't gonna cut it.

Get the Panny only if you're mainly interested in macro shots, and would like to get portraits once in awhile IMO.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Your title says portrait lens, so the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 would be the best choice. A macro lens has a longer focus throw which makes focusing slower albeit more accurate.
  10. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Why not for portraits?

I don't do a ton of portraits, so can someone explain to me why they think the Oly 45 at 1.8 is a better portrait lens the PL 45? the DOF difference is only about 1 ft @ 15 ft, and 2 ft. @ 20 ft. Now having used the PL45 for the first time last weekend, I confess there was a time or two during my daughters theater show that I would have liked to have the extras stops, but as a portrait lens, wouldn't they perform similar?
  11. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Not sure about better, but I bought an Olympus 45mm f1.8 (will get to test it only on Thursday) for the extra stops I'd get and because it was cheaper. Only time will tell if I'll end up keeping it as I have a pansonic G1 and looking at user comments, this lens seems to have focusing problems with panasonic cameras. As far as the PL macro lens goes, I am sure it's a great lens, but I have some legacy lenses that perform very well as macro lenses, so it was easy to pass that one up for the Olympus.