If you use Android, what are your favorite apps?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by gdourado, Jul 17, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal

I think it is a good idea to do this thread in order to get some ideas on how to better use the Android devices out there, either more.phones, music players or tablets.

So, what are your favorite apps. Being for photography or not, paid or free.

In my case I use tapatalk for browsing forums, sun surveyor is great when traveling, and navigon is my favorite gps.
    When out shooting planes i
    I like ATC Live.
    I also use the ebay app quite a lot.

So, what's your favorite apps?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    MOG. I stream music from my tablet to my vintage stereo system via a bluetooth receiver. No music server to deal with, great gui, simple, 320kbps for pretty decent sound quality.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    The mu-43 app is a great way to keep on top of this forum.

I use DoggCatcher to download and listen to podcasts on my commute. I use Pocket Auctions to feed my GAS on eBay. I use TweetCaster Pro and Pocket to keep up to date on the "news".

There are lots more, but those are the ones I use most often.
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    GPS Test+

I am using the $3.99 paid version, which allows you to save waypoints (also can email them to yourself/others). I was frustrated trying to figure out the favorite places on Android Maps and found this to be a lot better method for geotagging photos (in LR when I return home).

The free version is also pretty cool - it tells you the number of GPS satellites your phone can see at the moment, signal strength/SNR, and location accuracy (pure GPS, not using mobile tower link triangulation).
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    In no particular order other than the first two:
    • Mu 43 App
    • Serious Compacts App
    • Google News and Weather: Great news and weather app, not available in the Play Store. Have to enable install from "Unknown sources" (under Settings>Applications) and then download from here and tap to install.
    • Doggcatcher: Podcast client
    • ESPN Radio
    • Amazon MP3
    • Pandora
    • Netflix
    • Kik (instant messaging)
    • Twitter (official client)
    • Gmail
    • Tapatalk (forums)
    • Google Voice (I use to make and receive all calls, transcribes messages to text)
    • Amazon
    • Ebay
    • ROM Manager (for rooted phones)
    • Titanium backup (for restoring apps to newly installed ROMs)
    • Amazon Apps (free app daily)
    • Chrome Marks
    • ezPDF Reader
    • Flickr
    • Google+
    • Navigation (built in, love it)
    • Google Maps
    • Root Explorer (great file explorer for rooted phones)
    • SwiftKey 3 (favorite replacement keyboard)
    • Tumblr
    • Zedge (ringtone/notification sound/alarm manager)
    plus a variety of games that come and go...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Oh, forgot one other free app that I use and like quite a bit:

Waze - an app with navigation and turn-by-turn directions based on real-time traffic

When people have Waze running, it sends back traffic information (based on GPS location and speed data) to the Waze server. It will then show you navigation options based on traffic when you look for directions.

I usually pop it open when I am ready to leave work, to see what the traffic situation is, and what route is best home.

It has some interesting community stuff where you can see other users moving along the maps. You can report accidents, police officers, etc. and it will show up on the map for others.

My wife also uses it on her iPhone. Not sure what countries are support right now, but noticed it has some Euro languages covered.
  7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I just re-flashed my phone recently, so had a good chance to think about what apps I really like and use regularly.

-feedly (RSS reader, integrates with google reader)
    -flipboard (great magazine style news reader/content aggregator/rss reader)
    -MU43 app obviously
    -chrome (great mobile browser)
    -I grudgingly use the facebook app..doesn't work nearly as well on android as ios.
  8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I can't say which apps amoung tons to choose to be my best love, but the most frequent uses are the gmail, tapatalk, google reader, and google maps while I'm on the go; none of the those four apps appear in the google market for China nor do they come pre-installed due to some administrative reasons, but they are still the most popular apps.
  9. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    XiiaLive for radio streaming
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Some of my most frequently used apps are:
    - Facebook
    - WhatsApp
    - Mu-43
    - GO Dialer & Contacts EX (the phone & contacts of the Sony Xperia S suck, so I had to use a custom dialer)
    - WiFinder
    - Opera Mobile (browser)
    - ESPN ScoreCenter
    - Google+
    - Instagram
    - Advanced Task Killer
    - Paper Camera
    - Go Power Master (power management)
    - Business Calendar Free

Less frequently used, but important apps:
    - MyBackup Pro
    - SMS Backup
  11. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Dolphin hd browser hd
    Xda premium
    Mobo player
    Others exiting

I wonder, and what's apps you guys using for manage photo portfolio?
  12. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    - Maps
    - Sports Tracker
    - Buienalarm (Dutch location-based rainfall forecast)
    - Jorte agenda
    - Moon+ Reader
    - Screen Filter
    - SkySafari Plus
    - Remote for iTunes
    - Dictadroid
    - Living in the Sun
    - Tide Prediction
    - Barcode Scanner
    - Google Reader
  13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I've [post=290129]already replied[/post] in this thread, but reading everyone else's responses has reminded me of some apps I overlooked. I've also gotten some good recommendations, so thanks for that.

Apps I use every day:
    • <strike>Go Launcher EX - best home screen/ launcher replacement I've tried (and I've tried a bunch)</strike>
    • Nova Launcher - this has replaced Go Launcher EX (see above) as my favorite "launcher" due to the fact that it's just a touch more configurable. Only works with Android 4.1 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and newer. This offers a huge improvement over Samsung's TouchWiz interface and offers some things that stock Android doesn't have.
    • DoggCatcher - along with Presto I can listen to podcasts at faster than normal speed on my commute, allowing me to cram more information into my brain
    • Google Currents - news reader (similar to Flipboard?)
    • Evernote - capture "to do" lists and reminders in a Sisyphean attempt to get/stay organized
    • OneBusAway - tells me when the next bus will arrive (Puget Sound area only)
    • Golden Hour Photos - shows me when outdoor lighting conditions will be optimal
    • Photo Tools - huge collection of photography tools (DOF calc., FOV calc., etc.)
    • SmugFolio for SmugMug - allows me to view my photos on SmugMug and upload
    • Vignette - my favorite Android camera w/ lots of effects and frames
    • Paper Camera - super cool image effects (cartoon, sketch, noir, etc.)
    • Pano - capture panoramic images with my smartphone
    • Spotify - plug into the "virtual jukebox" anywhere
    • Pandora - for those times when I don't feel like creating my own playlist
    • Famigo Sandbox (free) - so I can let my kids play with my phone without worrying that they'll mess something up or call China
    • Untappd - a sort of beer-drinkers social network that lets me catalog beers I've tried and find new beers I might like
    • Urbanspoon - helps me find a good place to eat
    • Google Sky Map - helps me identify planets, stars and constellations
    • gStrings - helps me tune my guitar
    • Hipmunk - best way to search for airline flights
    • TripIt Travel Organizer - automatically keeps all my travel info in a single place
    • Torque - allows me to view (and reset) faults and "check engine" light on my car
    • <strike>Craigslist Notification - I've set up some searches which automatically alert me if someone posts an item for sale that might interest me.</strike>
    • c•PRO craigslist Client Droid - my previous go-to Craigslist app hasn't been updated in nearly a year and other apps have caught and passed it in terms of functionality and usability. This one is now my current favorite, in fact, so much so that I invested $2 in the plus version to get access to a couple of features not included in the free version.
    • Garage Sale Rover - maps garage and yard sales near me
    • Pocket Auctions for eBay - better than the official eBay app IMHO
    • Myibidder - eBay sniping tool

EDIT: list updated February 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I can't beleive no one's mentioned Snapseed.

DOlphin Browser
    TuneIn radio
    Double Twist (streaming audio and video via airplay)

15. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan

Although I'm still getting used to the keyboard. Stylus is on order :)

Sent from my Nexus 7.
  16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I tend to use:
    Pocket Informant - calendar
    Nook - reader
    Amazon & Amazon MP3
    Nexus Media Importer - to transfer photos to my Zoom tablet
  17. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I bought the Nexus 7 to replace my Kindle Keyboard, so Kindle Player gets the most usage.

There are apps for NPR's "Car Talk" and "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me!" radio shows and they may finally resolve my problem with forgetting to listen to the shows.

Cloud Print allows printing of documents to my HP LaserJet 5n (or any other networked printer).

Kingsoft Office allows creation/editing of documents (compatible with Microsoft Office 2010), and interfaces well with Google Drive, making the documents readily available across platforms.

18. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi DeeJay!

I got hooked on Microsoft OneNote back when I was employed (I was going to write "working" but I'm not sure I actually did much work...:biggrin:) and there is an Android app that links to the OneNote on SkyDrive.

There are some limitations - if a OneNote section is password protected the Android app can't sync it. However the SkyDrive can be shared among multiple users, so a fellow that I sometimes collaborate with on I.T. support and I share a OneNote notebook to track work performed and assigned. Of course it also holds notes, attachments, photos, etc., and multiple notebooks can be created with multiple pages in each notebook.

Still playing with this app (I've only had the Nexus 7 for 48 hours).

Thanks for the lead on Evernote, I'll take a look-see at that.

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Hi Jim,

Evernote is really an interesting app with a pretty healthy "ecosystem" of tools and users that really extend it's abilities. The way I'm using (for gorcery lists and the like) is just scratching the surface of what it's capable of. For example (and on the mu-43 topic), here's a link from their forum that describes how a group of new-ish OM-D users is using a shared notebook to compile information and tips they've each learned about their cameras.

Also, your post prompted me to go back and update my list (above) to reflect some changes.

Have fun with the Nexus!

- Keith