If you own the 30mm Sigma f1.4 and believe it is special, is there a wide lens which compares?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BleedingGumsMurphy, Sep 8, 2017.

1. BleedingGumsMurphy

BleedingGumsMurphy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    Does anyone know of a similarly priced wide lens which is as good as this lens in terms of image quality? With a similar price point, ish. The Panasonic 20mm is miles behind imho, so I am guessing the PanaLeica 15mm may also not compare. There is no exchange policy here in Thailand so I can't buy one like you can in The States to try for a few days.

I can tell the PanaLeica 12mm is on a par or even better than the Sigma, but that is out of budget at something like $1200. Personally, I think it has too much perspective distortion anyway. Hence, me thinking of the 15mm.

Thanks.

ps. I asked this originally in the wrong forum and here are the replies, so I can go and clear that thread up.

I can't add this quote from ionian in the same way:
    This probably needs a separate thread but what do you mean by as good? [I didn't specify IQ like I do now above] Image quality wise, pl15 is great - just check out the showcase thread [good point- will do that now]. I think the 20 is good too, no complaints on sharpness. Pl15 is better made than the sigma, smaller than the sigma, has (subjectively) better contrast than the sigma wide open, but costs twice as much [it costs less than 50% extra here].

2. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    My prime setup is the PL15, Sigma30 and Oly 75 and I rate them all three similar high. Note, i am a pixel peeper and therfore I sold the Oly 45, Oly 25, PL25 and Pana20 in the past.

Unfortunately I had to send my PL15/1.7 for repair because initially, the left side was soft. After repair the lens is near to perfect.

My Samyang7.5 is very nice and cheap too. But I guess it doesn't fit your FL requirement ;-)

Christof

• Like Like x 1
  3. BleedingGumsMurphy

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    This is what I wanted to hear. I have the Sigma 60 too, instead of your 75mm. Sounds like a nice holy trinity to me

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've not tried one myself, but everyone that I know that has them loves the Laowa 7.5mm and 12mm lenses. If you want to stick to primes and don't mind manual focus, then these should be a serious consideration.

If you do not mind zooms, I recommend the Olympus 9-18/4-5.6 or the PL 7-14/4. All accounts state that the PL 7-14 is a tad bit sharper and has better contrast. I owned the O9-18 for a while and thought it performed much better than the reviewers gave it credit. While not "fast" at f/4-5.6....it is small like a prime and never let me down.

• Sad Sad x 1
  5. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Yep, the SIGMA 60 is said to be crazy sharp.

The PL15 is similar and won't disappoint you, it's a very good lens and while having "only" f1.7, it behaves a tiny tad better than Sigma30 regarding contrast, fringing or CA. And going close, the bokeh is also quite nice.

I tend to stop down S30 and O75 to f2 but quite often I use the PL15 wide open.

Regarding the "rejected" lenses, my findings were: O45=little bit soft, O25=little bit soft, PL25=soft corners, P20=annoying AF.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BleedingGumsMurphy

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    Imho the Sigma is in a different league to your mentioned lenses, hence the thread title.

7. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    Three questions:
    1) What focal length do you need? All of these compared lenses have very different FLs, which is a far more distinguishing factor than minor differences in IQ.
    2) Do you need speed greater than f/2.8 for the intended use?
    3) What is your price range?

If you don't need speed and want uncompromised IQ, get the Oly 12-40 pro. If you need speed, pick a FL first, then consider PL12, PL15, or P20

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I find the PL15 a perfect complement to my S30.

• Like Like x 1
  9. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    i have the pany 20 and oly 75 so i am looking for something in the middle, was looking at the oly 45 only because i may want to use procapture and it doesnt work with panny lenses, i was refered to the sigma 30mm and all reports state its a great lens, havent read much if any negative about it, its currently close to 150 more than the oly 45 but all users that have had both say its worth it so ill be ordering one. most users state its in a leaque of its own and as far as i know its the only 30mm available for the m43 line up, so to answer your post i dont think theres any lenses that compare to it fairly with same focal length and aperture

• Sad Sad x 1
  10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    While you seem to be looking at primes I'm going to recommend something often overlooked, the Panasonic 12-32mm pancake.

While its aperture is slower than you would get with a prime there's no doubt in my mind that it would compete using any other metric, it's an incredibly sharp lens (especially at the wide end) and I personally think it qualifies as special.

It's also tiny (weighing in at 70 grams) and would fit in almost any pocket.

• Sad Sad x 1
  11. BleedingGumsMurphy

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    Genuinely, thanks for the replies guys. But this thread said "if you own the 30 and think it is special..." The answers with sad smilies aren't that. Someone thinks I want an average ultra wide zoom, another thinks I want another lens around 30mm, another recommended me the P20mm which I highlight in the OP :biggrin: and is also recommending me a massive zoom and the PL12 which I also discounted in the OP. Now I am being recommended a 12-32 £100 zoom as a lens which can compare with the Sigma 30mm f1.4.

If you don't own the Sigma please don't reply, or do and receive the wrath of a sad smiley emoji ;). I am the biggest lens geek I know, so I am just looking for people with experience with the 30 as I know what the options are. It annihilated the 20mm and now I am probably selling my 12-32mm (and 3 more lenses) to buy the PL15mm. I just wanted conformation it was also "special". Or if there was anything else. And not a subjective special. A "wow that is amazingly sharp" special. :2thumbs:

Sorry if I sound like an ungrateful diva or something. I am just on a holy quest... to find the Holy Trinity :th_salute:

• Sad Sad x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I replied with a sad face because I think it is sad that so much disrespect is placed toward people trying to give you a wide set of options.

Telling people not to reply? That is a whole other level....

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes. Not to mention others might be interested in learning something from a conversation on this public forum.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BleedingGumsMurphy

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    I was joking guys. I said you would get a sad face smiley then gave a winking smily. Sorry. I guess I am almost at the end of my lens analysis paralysis and am being too short tempered.

By the way, the original note from ionian to look at the showcase forum has been amazing. A good percentage of the photos look wonderful. The 15 is certainly the leader, but if you all wish to chat about other lenses please go ahead. I promise not to "lash out" with any more sad smilies.

Apologies for any offence caused.

15. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014

I don't currently own the 30mm f1.4 however I used one for several months around two years ago, despite having thought it a fantastic lens I didn't purchase one when it was released. I feel that I'm perfectly capable of comparing lenses against my past experience with it, for example I wouldn't rate the 30mm f1.4 as 'special' if you plan on using it with a full spectrum body - it's performance with UV light is hilariously bad.

What makes a lens 'special' is different from person to person, however my next suggestion is something which has been described in superlatives by almost everyone who has ever had the privilege of using it, it's a lens which will never stop surprising you.
    It's normally my first and only suggestion for people starting out with video production however you seemed to balk at the more expensive 12mm f1.4 lens hence suggesting the only cheaper wide lens that I felt was in some way special.

My final suggestion is the Sigma 18-35mm on a Speedbooster. It's a lens which will never stop surprising you with fantastic rendering and I wouldn't hesitate to call it one of the best lenses I have ever had the privilege of using, it's essentially a constant f1.2 13-25mm zoom lens and is really in a class of its own above all else.

So forget my previous suggestion and take this as my final thoughts about a lens which is indisputably special, the lens currently retails for US$800 and a Speedbooster is US$649 (US$1449 total using retail pricing).

• Like Like x 1
  16. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    Short answer: The PL 12/1.4 is the only candidate I haven't tried; if you've already ruled it out, then no.

The closest in terms of wow sharpness is the Oly 12-40, which has the best edge-to-edge performance of anything around 15-17mm. I guess that's roughly double the price used, so probably out.

Next best would be the PL 15/1.7, which has a great rendition and great center. Like the Sigma 30/1.4, it suffers from focus shift, which is harder to deal with at 15mm than it is at 30mm. Between the focus shift and the just-okay edges, I don't think I can say it's in the same category as the Sigma 30, but it isn't that far behind.

The Sigma is real bargain, the likes of which don't come every year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thai-Mike

Thai-Mike Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    If I had to choose which lens should the partner for my sigi, it would,will be the pana 15mm 1.7. Why? I own the Oly 45mm 1.8 too and it is great the 15 mm difference.

I own the oly 17mm 2.8 pancake. I can say it is not a match to the sigi

• Like Like x 1
  18. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    You seem to have a pretty good grasp on what lenses are available, and what sort of focal length you are after. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a similar priced lens that offers the level of sharpness you are after. Hence all the tangents of "unsuitable" recommendations.

BTw, I recommend the 300mm f4. Very sharp, great bokeh, microcontrast, unique character that can't be beat. /sarcasm

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. BleedingGumsMurphy

Mar 19, 2017
    Thailand
    Thank you, that is an eye opener about the focusing. Will look into that I was going to use it for filming animals with continuous autofocus turned on. Might have to keep my excellent 12-32mm after all.

I wish I could afford the PL12, it is unbelievable when I have seen it compared to any other lenses, including the Oly 25 1.2. I was hating on the 12 so I could forget about it subconsciously- the perspective does look funny when used for vlogging (big noses) and wide architecture shots (not straight walls). But it is probably amazing in the middle for normal use.

20. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    If the 12mm 1.4 starts to fall into budget, maybe you could wait until the new 17mm 1.2 comes out? Less perspective distortion, but no doubt $$$.

• Like Like x 1