If You Hate Noise

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dcisive, Mar 25, 2010.

1. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    in your images, I've got some very good news for you. I just road tested (and then purchased) a program by a company "Topaz Labs". (www.topazlabs.com) They have a number of very interesting programs, but the one that flat blew me away was their "DeNoise" program. I've used many in the past like Noise Ninja, Noiseware (my former favorite) and others. But NONE do non destructive noise removal on a level such as this one. It will defy your imagination. Removes chroma and luminance noise (in most cases to 100% levels) and retains all the sweet details and color. I still can't believe it. I spent about 4 minutes playing with a ISO3200 image taken from Imaging Resource of the E-P1. It was pretty nasty, and frankly I couldn't imagine getting it to the point where it would look even fair. Well when I got through with it it was gobsmacking GREAT. The noise was virtually GONE and the sharpness and details were completely retained. If I had told you this shot was taken at ISO100 you would most certainly have believed me. Runs in Photoshop or even the free program Irfanview as a host program (it's a plug in). You have GOT to try this as a trial. You will want it for sure. You will be able to shoot with careless abandon with any of the Pen's at ISO1600 or higher and not even give it a 2nd thought. Do check it out and let me know your thoughts.:2thumbs: I would have posted the retouched image but it was from a copywrited source. Just take an image at ISO3200 and work it up in that program. You'll be flat amazed.........
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wow, quite an endorsement! If you didn't have a track record of good posts here, I probably would have banned you first and asked questions later for that post :biggrin: (j/k). Since you do, I'm going to download their trial and give it a go :smile:. Thanks!
  3. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA

I’ll second the endorsement. I ended up buying the entire suite, and while the other filters seem like they might get used (most probably with a fairly light touch), DeNoise is remarkable. I tested most of them; the next place was Boundary something or other, with Nik etc. all a bit further behind. DeNoise is a good bit slower however, so if you do a lot of processing, it may not suit you.

I'm adding two screen shots, of a section of an image—you can see the results! Please note how much sharp detail is left in the image. (This was very dimmly lit.)

Attached Files:

4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks I'll try it....
  5. NeilP

NeilP New to Mu-43

Mar 19, 2010
    Cornwall, UK
    Thanks for the info on this, will give it a try for sure.

I have been using Neat Image for a while, I like the sound of DeNoise though.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Is there a debanding feature in DeNoise? This is the killer feature of Dfine, and I'd be reluctant to change to an app that lacked it.
  7. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

I use Dfine. Not sure about what you mean about "debanding". Are you talking about colour noise?

BTW, if you want a basic version of DeNoise, just get Topaz Vivacity. It's cheaper and has other features as well:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I do very little reduction anymore but when I do I use Dfine.
    I have Ninja but it smooths to much....

• Like Like x 1
  9. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    it doesn't have a specific "debanding" or they don't call it that, but it has so many other things it's worth a free try to say the least. I became a believer when I saw a full sized image taken with the P1 at ISO3200 that was otherwise nasty, and ended up downright printable at 13x19 when I was finished tweaking. That's not shabby.........
  10. CanonDude

CanonDude Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2010
    Ft. Worth Texas
    All of the Topaz products are worth looking at. I really like them. And if you are a NAPP member, you can get a 25% discount on their software.
  11. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Unfortunately, not available for Power PC (non-Intel) Macs. Bummer.

12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I don't hate noise, but for those instances where I absolutely need noise reduction... this seems like a good step forward, thanks for the pointer dcisive.

I don't use photoshop, but found that irfanview supports PS plugins... which is ideal.