If you had to choose ONE lens...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dixeyk, Sep 22, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Over the past 10 tears I have been steadily reducing the amount of stuff I have. I think this comes from having ti deal with cancer and losing house, car, business, savings, retirement...you get the picture. In the end all I was left with was a couple of storage rooms full of cr*p and since then I have slowly been ridding myself of all the things of my old life. It was as if I died the day I was diagnosed and I don't even recognize a lot of that stuff as being mine anymore.

Now, on to PHOTOGRAPHY RELATED...as a result of this I have found that having stuff I don't use really bugs me. As many of you have seen I have gone through a lot of cameras and lenses in the past two years. I try stuff and if I like it it stays around and if I don't like it or more importantly don't use it I sell it off. I figure I can always reacquire it if I want to (and have on a few occasions). I am also by nature a collector. I see something and if it's a good deal or something I fancy and can afford it I'll grab it. This means I up purging my gear and within a few months collecting more of it. For whatever reason I seems to have reached a type of equilibrium with two bodies but lenses are another matter all together. At any one time I have fifteen or twenty floating around. The thing is, I only really use a few. As much as I'd love to say that I use all sorts of focal lengths I'd be lying. I am a creature of habit and can make do with a single focal length pretty well if I have to.

This brings me to my question, if you had to go with one lens (native or adapted) what would it be and why? I'll start it off, on my GX1 it would be my PL45. Of all the various lenses I have used in m43 it is far and away my favorite. It just suits what I like to do.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    My choice would be the 25mm f/1.4. I spent so much time in my very early film days with only the 50mm kit lens that I'm imprinted with that as my sweet spot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    +1 for fast-normals ;-)

My 20mm f1.7.

I'd love the 25mm f1.4 but can't justify the expense.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Oly 45. A good P&S (=RX100) can do everything else that I need. If m43 is the only camera then P20

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I thought it would always be the P20, but it's the PL25 for me now.

6. melonbread

melonbread Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Jannette
    The same with me - the Oly 45 on the E-P3. Even if it is a bit close I can run backwards a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Does it have to be a prime? If not, I would choose the Panasonic 14-45mm.

If we are talking primes only, then it would be the 25mm f1.4 or possibly the forthcoming Olympus 17mm f1.8. In my film days equivalents of these were my two most used lenses.

Sounds like you've had a rough time, Kevin; sorry to hear that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Tough choice between my 20mm and my Oly 45mm but if I had to choose I'd probably end up with the 45mm. I tend to like longer lenses.

9. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    The P/L 25mm is my choice. The 20mm was (and is) great, but the contrast on the 25mm is outstanding. It's long enough (just) for portraits, but wide enough for most everyday situations. Love it!

Bill

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Tough call... if I were any good at paring things down, I'd own a lot less gear :biggrin:

Each lens has its own endearing qualities, but out of the native m4/3 lenses I've owned & used there are 3 clear contenders for the "one lens" for me.

If I went with one lens for absolutely everything, it'd probably be the PL 25mm f/1.4 - great rendering, beautiful bokeh, fast aperture, "normal" focal length. For the same reasons it'd be pretty much a toss-up between that and the CV 25mm f/0.95. I love that lens, but it doesn't get used as often due to the lack of AF.

The other lens I'd consider would be the 12-35mm f/2.8 for the versatility in focal length and f/2.8 aperture. But a fixed 25mm prime would win out by a narrow margin over a zoom if I had to have a single lens.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    One lens eh?
    Well, I guess I'll just go and grab my x100.....

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Doesn't need top be a prime. The 14-45 would have been my second choice.

There is no denying there were some difficult years there, but when I find myself thinking about that I remind myself that I'm still alive, have a wonderful 9 year old son that I spoil terribly, a wife that was there every minute and loves me anyway and have a good enough job that I can buy a PL45 :eek:. In many ways I came out a better man than I started as. It's not my recommended path for self improvement but you take what life hands you.

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Fair enough.

14. I would probably like to say some kind of zoom, but there are none in m4/3 that really hit the right size, price, specs, and performance spot for me. That being the case, it's another vote for the PL25.

15. bob madison

bob madison Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Kevin

For me it most likely would be the PL 45. sharp and not too big. But yep there is a BUT I can't even decide on what format. Nikon D1x, Nikon F5 and various lens so you can see the problem. If the GH3 is as good as it looks. Hmmmm.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TDP

TDP Guest

CV 25. I wouldn't mind trying the pl25 after reading comments here....

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Fast normal. 20-25, f1.4-1.8

18. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    It would be the PL45 for me as well. For me, that's an intermediate range, as I do much less with my 14 mm or 14-45 mm, and I'd must have the macro capacity. I'd have trouble giving up my 100–300 though.

19. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    For several years the primary camera I used was the Canon G-III QL-17. The 40mm f1.7 lens was versatile and fast.

Hence the Panny 20/1.7 on my GF1 reminds me so much of that it would win.

I would like to try the Panny 12-35 some day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I have the 20mm F 1.7 and the F1.8-45mm. I use the 20 mm about twice as much as the 45 mm. If you are in close to your subject 20mm is better. If you are away from subject, the 45mm. You really need the right lens for the situation at hand.