If you had this choice, what would it be?

Aperture Don

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In direct answer to your question, I have to agree with an earlier reply that said that you wouldn't get much for your current collection. I use my 12-40 for over 90% of my shooting, and have taken it abroad at least three times and used it as my primary lens. However, although I have the 40-150 2.8 PRO, I use the 40-150 II f/4-5.6 as my travel telephoto zoom. It's a good, light, cheap, lens that yields good results. I used it last week on a trip to Connecticut since I didn't want to carry the bigger, heavier, lens. So, I would get the 12-40 2.8 PRO instead of the primes, but wouldn't sell the others. I don't think that it's big and heavy, but I use it on an E-M1.2 and prior to that on an E-M1 and a Panasonic GX8. Compared to my Nikon gear, this is all feather-lite.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Not sure if this is going to away your decision or not but Olympus have also announced an upcoming 12-45mm f4 Pro, no pricing out yet but I suspect it will be smaller and cheaper than the 12-40mm f2.8.

They've also announced 2 more upcoming Pro lenses (not including the 150-400), one of which is a telephoto zoom. My guess is they're fleshing out their lineup with f4 versions of their holey trinity.

B0baFett

Mu-43 Regular
Not sure if this is going to away your decision or not but Olympus have also announced an upcoming 12-45mm f4 Pro, no pricing out yet but I suspect it will be smaller and cheaper than the 12-40mm f2.8.

They've also announced 2 more upcoming Pro lenses (not including the 150-400), one of which is a telephoto zoom. My guess is they're fleshing out their lineup with f4 versions of their holey trinity.
Yeah was gonna wait to see what both of those cost.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Keep the 40-150mm like others have suggested. That's obvious, it's great to have for the price.

I wouldn't go for primes if family with children is main focus. I bought my 12-40mm cheap because with family, other people or vacation you don't want to change lenses or have time for it. Or zoom with your feet. And wanted to test how much I need such a zoom, but not too much experience yet. In the city it felt too big compared to primes getting more attention, but it could be just me.

Still I would think you need a prime in the 15-25mm area for indoors and dark. I'd say rather below 20mm, but 25mm or 45mm would give other opportunities. So maybe even two. But starting to get expensive. :)

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
Agree - 12-40 'n keep 40-150mm.

Also agree on a prime. I'm thinking about the PL25mm f1.4.

DefectiveMonk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
If you're going to pick up a prime, I don't care what anyone says. The Panasonic 20mm is a goldilocks lens for M43. Not to wide. Not too long. I just couldn't ever get 25mm to work for me.

Real Name
Andrew L
Let's not forget that the 12-40mm, for all its utility, is just f2.8. So, if you want more background separation and more utility in lower light, the primes are better at that. If you don't care for either, then the 12-40 sounds like a simpler and better deal. That's leaving the creativity of a prime lens entirely out of it.

B0baFett

Mu-43 Regular
of post: What problem are you trying
My standard response to this kind of post: What problem are you trying to solve?
Trying to compromise for compactness. I use the 12-50 most of the time for the weather sealing and bust out the 40-150 for long shots at the zoo. The other ones sit in my lens bag collecting dust. Figured I'd could sell them and make a small, very small dent in the price of a used 12-40 pro.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
I had so many Olympus lenses over the years and I found my "Perfect" Combo for my Photography style: The Oly 12-40 and the Olympus 40-150 II f/4-5.6

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It really depends on your shooting style and why you are going for Primes.

Before buying the 12-40mm, I tended to use the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 mark I a lot, and then also the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. In general, the 12-40mm is one of my trinity of go-to lenses (the Olympus 14-150mm f/4-5.6 mark II for general outdoors shots and the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 for longer range low light shots). The 12-40mm replaced a lot of the uses of those two primes, and in normal low light setups, it is sufficient (and 1-2 stops faster than the consumer zoom lenses, depending on whether you are at the wide angle or telephoto ends).

But there are times when I find going back to the primes, because at times I am shooting in situations where I need that extra stop or so of light.

Sometimes, I just put on a prime onto a small body and it doesn't call attention to it like the 12-40mm on the larger body.

Some people prefer the primes, because it forces them to compose the picture for the given focal length, and having to do that forces you to actually think about what you want the final shot to be. But there are other times, when it is just impractical to zoom with your feet to get the shot you want.

But the 12-40mm and other lenses are expensive compared to the consumer lenses. In the end of the day, you have to choose how much you want to throw at buying new lenses, and what the return on investment is. And there is always the temptation of getting the 'next' lens and thinking it will solve your problems.

And in the Judeo-Christian framework, I tend to think the 10th commandment (though shalt not be envious) is the hardest commandment to keep, and forums like these tend to add to the GAS (gear aquisition syndrome).

If you have never shot with primes before, do an experiment. Set your focal length to be the prime you wish to buy (or at least close enough). Spend some time shooting only at that focal length. See whether the prime would work with what you want to shoot. For some it does, and others it does not. Also keep a log of the number of times when your current lens would not let get the shot you want, and determine whether you want something wider, something longer, or something with a faster aperture.

If you have a weather sealed body, keep track of how often you shoot in the rain. Note, that most of the cheaper primes are not weather sealed.

Remember, everything is a trade-off. Sometimes you have to give something up to get some other benefit.

Last edited:

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
If you have never shot with primes before, do an experiment. Set your focal length to be the prime you wish to buy (or at least close enough).

A good advice I followed and ended up with many primes. :whistling::whistling:But really a prime is more than a focal length, it's often faster aperture, a better bokeh, and is handy as well,

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have an omd em5 mark 2. I shoot a variety of all types of photos. Mostly family stuff and still pictures(landscape, street and art) . Probably gonna wait and see what the new 12-45 f4 will cost then decide after that. I'm hoping that new 100-400 isn't a wallet killer too.
as I see it, since the not small and surely not stellar 12-50 you have is the only weather sealed match to your camera, if weather sealing is any important to you, the 12-40 is a no brainer - if you feel you need any longer reach than the 40-150R, you could replaace it with the cheap and cheerful 75-300mm and never mind the gap, focal length continuity is just a case of OCD - to fill the void you can also add an even cheaper and cheerfuler Sigma 60/2.8

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Trying to compromise for compactness. I use the 12-50 most of the time for the weather sealing and bust out the 40-150 for long shots at the zoo. The other ones sit in my lens bag collecting dust. Figured I'd could sell them and make a small, very small dent in the price of a used 12-40 pro.

If you want compactness why are you considering the 12-40? Is the 12-50 disappointing you in some way? I think WT21s suggestion made sense, to keep the 12-50 and 40-150 and add a prime. That may be the best compromise.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend

The 12-40/2.8 is neither compact nor light.
I would wait to see what the specs of the upcoming Olympus 12-45/4 are.
Another lens to look at is the Panasonic 12-35/2.8. It is a bit smaller and lighter than the Olympus 12-40/2.8. Though there are discussions about some loss of weather sealing when crossing brands.

brerfox

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Brad
When I first switched to Oly from Canon I went all prime. Went to Acadia NP. Found I spent more time changing lens than photographing. Bought a 12-40.

Latest threads

Top Bottom