If you had $1400 to spend on camera system...

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by thomastaesu, Nov 19, 2012.

1. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    I liquidated my Canon rebel camera and lenses, so I have about $1400. I want to go m4/3 and have been torn btwm om-d and pl5/pm2.

If I go with om-d, I would not have enough to buy much after buying 12-50 kit. If I go with pl5, I will probably go with PL25mm and a tele along with kit combo.

What would you do?
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    • Like Like x 2
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    OM-D - add lenses later. Same sensor, better IBIS, viewfinder, available used and discounted.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    get e-pm2+PL25 and 45-175X which Power OIS is absolutely brilliant on E-PM2.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    I wouldn't buy the 12-50, as its $300 and they are selling used or less, if you feel you need it. I wouldn't buy it period, but that's me. If you pick up a used body(OMD) and a used pl25 should be a bit less than your budget, and start adding from there. Or get the 20, and have enough to pick up a tele as well. You'll do we'll off the buy/sell here, just deal with people who have established feedback and a post count that shows they've been using the forum.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi .. OMD body sells for USD 800-900 these days and I would adv you to stay away from 12-50 mm lens as its just a mediocre lens with limited use . You will still have USD 600 and you can always pick up Panny 20 mm 1.8 for USD 300 and Oly 45 mm for USD 300 . Or get EPL5 body only for USD 599 and add Panny 14 mm 2.5 , Panny 20 mm 1.7 and Oly 45 mm 1.8 .This will be the best combination .An other option is buy OMD body and add Oly 14-54 mm II 2.8-3.5 lens from fourthird era. Its a fantastic all rounder but slightly slow and heavy .Its weather sealed and offers much better performance than Oly 12-50 kit lens .
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. taurus9

taurus9 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    BC, Canada
    As good as an EM-5 is, bodies come and go but good lenses last a very long time. For example, the Panny 20mm 1.7 was introduced in 2009/2010 when the GF1 was released and it has survived the many iterations of cameras since then and it still comes through as a recommended optic to obtain. Focus on the lenses and then whatever is leftover for a body. What lenses did you use in your Rebel system? Did you like the focal lengths? If so, we could suggest the equivalents in the MFT world.

I would go for a discontinued model such as an EPL2 (I think they're going for $300 with a kit lens now), and then get 1 maybe 2 additional lenses that would give you excellent optical quality. For example, with $400 leftover:

EPL2 w/ 14-42 kit lens - $300
    Panasonic 20mm 1.7 - $300
    Olympus 45mm 1.8 - $400
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Do you need weather sealing? If not, epl5 would be my choice, and I own the epm2. The reason...tilting screen and extra dial. If you don't care about those, then the epm2.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    GH3 and the 15 f/8 body cap lens :)
    just kidding

but after I recently got my EPL5, I started to miss the feeling Lumix delivers, I feel terrible about Oly's poor accuracy of colour reproduction, over saturated screen and the operation; however satisfied with the high ISO and shutter lag.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    E-PL5 if you don't need weathersealing or a built in viewfinder and don't shoot alot of video (the 5 axis stabilization of the OM-D is awesome and the OM-D's built in viewfinder is almost essential for video too).

E-PM2 if you are willing to sacrifice a dial and the tilt screen

If you don't shoot alot in low light I'd get a first generation Pen (E-PL1 or E-PL2)

GH2 is a good video camera, but no 5-axis stabilization and the jpegs...well you should study alot of samples before deciding whether or not you like them.
  12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It depends on your priorities. Weather sealing was a big one for me, which led me to buy the 12-50mm which is otherwise an uninteresting lens. The advantages of the OMD are really the build/sealing, controls, and viewfinder. If you can live without those three, the PL5 is a way better choice. If you don't mind refurbished, the Cameta OMD option is probably the best choice.

The lenses depend entirely on your preferences, of course.
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I'd jump at the Amazon Gold Box GH2 deal if I still live in the States. At $499, it leaves you with plenty of budget to get couple nice primes...
  14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Panny 14mm
    Panny 20mm
    Olympus 45mm

Whatever body feels comfortable to you and fits in the remaining budget.
  15. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    I need high iso performance and fast fps, so early gen models are out. Weather seal on om-d sounds awesome, but I cannot remember last time I had to put away camera because of the weather. I think I am gonna miss viewfinder if I go with pl5 or pm2. I do not think I change my camera setting too much, so will pm2 suffice?

Arrrgghh not close to the decision than When I began this thread.

Thanx for your replies though.
  16. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    If you don't go with the OM-D, get a VF2 or VF3 used, I just bought one for under $150 (VF2)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Will you want to use a viewfinder all of the time?

If yes, it would seem like you should grab a body with a built-in VF. I think the E-PL5 is withing $100 of the E-M5 when you factor in a VF-2.

Otherwise, I would always vote for spending money on lenses rather than quickly replaced bodies. As someone else pointed out, you may also want to consider the great deals on Panasonic bodies right now, like the GH2 (maybe soldout?) and the GX1. The GX1/G3 (and I am guessing GH2) are fairly close to the OM-D/E-PL5/E-PM2 at high ISO. The newer Sony sensor has a bigger advantage at lower ISO.
  18. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    GH2 is sold out at Amazon.
    If you live in the states, sit tight and wait for Black Friday :)
  19. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

You should totally take advantage of the GH2 deal on Amazon, its not sold out anymore. They found more stock. Check now, its available .. at least until midnight tonight.
  20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I just made a similar decision but I already had a VF2 so that made the Pens more attractive. I figured the PL5 was only $100 more than the PM2 and was nearly as small. I find that I use the E-PL5 on a neck strap with the LCD tilted up. It's the old TLR shooting position, and it's pretty stable. Between the GH2, EM5, E-PL5, and the E-PM2 you have a real selection of fine bodies. I didn't really consider the GH2 because I never shoot video.
    • Like Like x 1