If you ever wondered what was inside your lens !

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Robstar1963, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Spotted this broken Panasonic 14 - 140mm lens for sale on eBay
    Interesting to see how many electronic components there are inside a modern lens
    See link :-

eBay

• Like Like x 1
  2. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    upload_2016-7-12_1-20-11.png
    from the eBay ad before it goes away.
    As an electronics engineer, thanks for posting the link.
    Not a whole lot of "electronics" but a lot of connectors and cables presumably connecting the fly by wire manual focus ring, the AF/MF focus motor, and aperture controls.
    A handful of capacitors/resistors and one largish inductor.
    Oddly I don't see an IC although it may be on the reverse side of the board as they can be very low profile. There has to be at least a PROM identifying the lens, but those are often in 6-pin packages these days, not necessarily a high pin count package.
    its a Pany 14-140 so I understand it also has in-lens OIS which means there's some mechanism by which image stabilization is done in the lens. Sensors, motors? I almost presume the sensor for motion and the correction signals have to be in the lens, unless someone can explain it better to me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks for the link, Janneman, that was interesting.

5. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    I think they are all pretty similar, this is the 90-250's internals (yes, i did open it up (the barrel was loose))
    image.jpeg

The most fragile part is the electronic contacts module soldered to its flat cable (don't ask me how i know... >.>)

Ps sry for bad quality, pic was taken from my phone while working on it with a bright headlight on

6. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    Well, the circuit board pictured has two ICs with maybe 32-44 pins (the square black objects)
    upload_2016-7-12_14-48-52.png upload_2016-7-12_14-49-16.png
    visible as opposed to the Panny. I was expecting some active circuitry would be required so I'm glad to see this.

7. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Heh. When I saw the title of this thread, I wondered if it was about things that belong inside your lens or things that don't.

Sing along with me: There was an old lensy that swallowed a fly / spider / etc.: :whistling:
    We Found a Fly Inside a Weather-Sealed Lens

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.