If you ever wondered what was inside your lens !

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Robstar1963, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Spotted this broken Panasonic 14 - 140mm lens for sale on eBay
    Interesting to see how many electronic components there are inside a modern lens
    See link :-

• Like Like x 1
  2. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    from the eBay ad before it goes away.
    As an electronics engineer, thanks for posting the link.
    Not a whole lot of "electronics" but a lot of connectors and cables presumably connecting the fly by wire manual focus ring, the AF/MF focus motor, and aperture controls.
    A handful of capacitors/resistors and one largish inductor.
    Oddly I don't see an IC although it may be on the reverse side of the board as they can be very low profile. There has to be at least a PROM identifying the lens, but those are often in 6-pin packages these days, not necessarily a high pin count package.
    its a Pany 14-140 so I understand it also has in-lens OIS which means there's some mechanism by which image stabilization is done in the lens. Sensors, motors? I almost presume the sensor for motion and the correction signals have to be in the lens, unless someone can explain it better to me.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Thanks for the link, Janneman, that was interesting.
  5. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    I think they are all pretty similar, this is the 90-250's internals (yes, i did open it up (the barrel was loose))

The most fragile part is the electronic contacts module soldered to its flat cable (don't ask me how i know... >.>)

Ps sry for bad quality, pic was taken from my phone while working on it with a bright headlight on
  6. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Well, the circuit board pictured has two ICs with maybe 32-44 pins (the square black objects)
    upload_2016-7-12_14-48-52. upload_2016-7-12_14-49-16.
    visible as opposed to the Panny. I was expecting some active circuitry would be required so I'm glad to see this.
  7. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Heh. When I saw the title of this thread, I wondered if it was about things that belong inside your lens or things that don't.

Sing along with me: There was an old lensy that swallowed a fly / spider / etc.: :whistling:
    We Found a Fly Inside a Weather-Sealed Lens