1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

If you ever wanted to buy LR, Buy Now. Rentals and Upgrades only Listed on their Site

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by gugarci, Jun 19, 2014.

1. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Adobe is no longer listing a purchase LR option. Just rental prices and upgrade to current users.
    Hopefully this is an error on their end. If you've never bought LR in the past, and wanted to buy LR, you better buy your box version ASAP.
    Get it while it's available.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

2. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Looks like you can still purchase it from Adobe. But it's not easy to find. I looked earlier today and gave up. Anyway someone At DPReview just posted this link.
    https://www.adobe.com/products/cata...er_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_mostpopular.html

Looks like you can still purchase by following the upgrade LR link but they don't mentioned it till you click on it.
    I think the rental version of LR is coming. Hoping I'm wrong.

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Adobe still offers it on their website:

https://www.adobe.com/products/cata...sl_software_sl_mostpopular.html?promoid=KLXMV

and has announced that LR will be available as a stand alone product (as well as being available on Creative Cloud) for 'the foreseeable future'. There are, apparently, no plans to abandon the availability of LR (full or upgrade) on DVD or download.

In addition the $9.99 a month "limited" price for the Photographers Package on the Cloud has been extended indefinitely due, reportedly, to the popularity of the price/package. :drinks:.

I've been very tempted - but I don't think I would really start using the software if I paid for access - I'm currently mired in Elements 12 :biggrin:.

It's apparently a personal fault - I will hang onto hardware whose expiration date was originally written in roman numerals on clay tablets, but will jump onto new software without much of a thought as to whether or not it will improve my photography. I'm really trying to reign myself in...but $9.99 a month and never have to decide whether to upgrade or not...very tempting.

Regards,

Jim

4. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I haven't run out of options using Aperture. The cloud functions work well and there is no subscription.

Mind you if I need more I can always use GIMP or some other dedicated tool. Horses for courses.

5. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    When their main page shows you a link to to buy/upgrade LR I'll believe that for now they have no plans for LR being rental only. Right now their page mainly talks about the rental version and fees. And if you scroll all the way to the bottom you will find the upgrade link. Not a buy/upgrade link, just upgrade.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

6. slmoore

slmoore Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Are they only offering the iPad/iPhone versions if you rent it for $10/month? Or can you purchase those separately if you purchase LR?

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The iPad version is free but requires Lightroom 5 and one of the Creative Cloud subscriptions to do anything with it.

Frrd

• Like Like x 2
  8. mikelee

mikelee New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    Michigan
    Mike
    Looking into my crystal ball, I would say that the "foreseeable future" for Adobe could be tomorrow. They are, as is most obvious, targeting their future on subscription cloud services, and it wouldn't be reasonable to presume that they won't (completely) migrate Lightroom to that as soon as possible. It is in their best (economic) interest to do so. Also, I will go so far as to say that their (currently free) standalone DNG converter, which would permit future RAW file formats being converted to DNG for import into previous standalone versions of Lightroom, will wither and die. Again, because it is not in Adobe's best interest to maintain compatibility with software which competes with cloud subscriptions.

Investigating and supporting non-Adobe products for RAW file conversion and processing would probably be prudent. Adobe subscription rates are bound to escalate rapidly, and while many commercial/corporate users will tolerate this for some time, I don't think the typical enthusiast can see a subscription service as being an affordable long-term option. Panasonic and Olympus offer reasonably proficient raw converters and image editors. Give this companies some constructive input, and I believe their offerings will continue to improve.

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I guess this will be a growth opportunity for competing products. A lot of people like LR, but don't use it that often to warrant a constant fee payment. I've always skipped a version and waited for the price of the upgrade to drop, and not felt that I've missed anything by doing so. It looks like this is going to become the Adobe 'Walled Garden'.

10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    And let me know when Lr Mobile has a solution for letting you run plugins (PS, Nik, Topaz...etc.) on an iPad the same as your desktop. I have never understood the workflow benefit of a crippled Lr Mobile.

11. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Not that I agree/disagree with Adobe here - but that's probably a platform support issue - Adobe can't control what Operating System a plugin is compiled to run on...but that's no reason they can't allow it and let the plugin provider package up tablet support.

12. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I have yet to see a plugin maker make the same plugin for IOS as they do for Mac or Windows. To my knowledge there is no Nik Collection, Perfect Photo Suite, Topaz Collection....etc. for IOS devices. With the extremely limited processing environment (CPU, GPU, memory, storage screen real estate, lack of keyboard and mouse...etc.), and no plugins to complete the picture, I am lost as to why to try to edit a photo in Lr Mobile. My 15" Macbook fits just fine in the same slot in my Tenba Messenger bag as my iPad Air does. So when I am out on a photography field trip, you bet the rMBP, not the iPad, is with me. Once I have the images home and processed them, then I might put a collection of jpegs on the iPad via iTunes to share. But I can't see an iPad as a serious part of workflow.

If anyone has other ideas, I would love to hear them.

13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'm pretty sure Apple won't approve plugins on iOS devices. The work around is for one app to pass off a file to another app but libraries can't be shared.

Fred