If you didnt have a camera...E-p1, 2 or E-PL1? opinions please

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kstevieh, Feb 17, 2010.

1. kstevieh

kstevieh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    USA, West Virginia
    Well I was trying to decide between the E-p1 and 2....and now the E-PL1 is in the picture lol.

Anyways my thoughts are this. The E-PL1 is only 600 bucks. I can pick up a used 17mm that someone doesnt want then save money for the EVF later and other lenses. With the E-P1 i never have the option for an EVF.

Seems a better deal to me just because I will have the option to get the EVF.

Plus I can use this camera a year or two and then pick up an E-P2 body used for a good price most likely....or get and E-P1 used really cheap just cause they look the coolest.

What does everyone think?

2. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Should be the same sensor... If you need the flash I say go for it... I don't like the controls from the initial picture, but then again I prefered the GF1 controls until I really set up custom features and now I love the EP1/EP2 controls

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi kstevieh,

if you're looking for the best value for money, the E-PL1 could be a good bet... the EVF interface and dedicated MF assist zoom button could make it a good match for use with legacy prime lenses too.

Olympus have promised a high spec m4/3rds camera - so easing your way into m4/3rds on a budget could be a great start.

Cheers

Brian

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Brian's points are well taken. I wrote something similar to you in an email. Your approach seems to be a wise one fiscally, too. Hindsight is 20:20. Of course the E-PL1 wasn't out when I was in my "have to have" mode.:wink: