1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

If you could pick 1 lens for the OMD?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tothepetercopter, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Tothepetercopter

Tothepetercopter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    Indiana
    I have a limited fund for 1 lens and the body for the OMD.

For around 800 what 1 lens (Or multiple ones possibly) would you choose that's good for VIDEO and photography?

Wide angle or standard 50mm doesn't matter just suggest.

2. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Cosina Voigtlander 25mm F0.95. Although I kind of exceeded your price ceiling.

If the criteria was to only have 1 lens forever. This would be my choice.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    hmmm... you do need to define better what kind of video and photography you are intending to do?

as far as I can see the kit 12-50 covers a lot of bases... for video the slow aperture is less of a problem as you shoot video at 1/60 of a second as a rule... it may be more of an issue if you are doing low light photography.... but for video fast lenses usually require ND filters in any half decent light to be able to be used wide open.

tell us what you want to shoot and maybe we can offer you some solutions.... you obviously see video as important... are you looking at point and squirt type videos or something more structured with individual shots edited together that tell a story?

K

4. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Depends entirely on what you shoot. For me? I'd take the PanaLeica 25/1.4. Hands down. However, some would prefer a zoom, some a wide angle, some a telephoto.

If I only shot landscapes, it'd be the 7-14mm. If I only shot portrait, the 45/1.8. If I only shot macro the 45/2.8...if I only shot wildlife, the 100-300 or 75-300.

See what I mean? I shoot a wide variety, so I own the 7-14, 12/2, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 45-175, 8mm fisheye, etc....so I can change lenses based on what I'm shooting, but if I could only have one it'd be the 25/1.4. Versatile for most anything...can do portraits, can do landscapes, can stitch multiple shots if you need wider....

5. Tothepetercopter

Feb 1, 2012
    Indiana
    Thanks for the responses.

I'm wanting to do video of abandoned areas, houses, so on. Along with short movies. Video isn't #1 but I want it to be a good option when I need it. I was thinking of an EP3 but I really like the 16mp sensor and built in VF on the OMD.

6. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    if you held a gun to my head and told me i could have only 2 lenses... then I would go for the pana 20 and the oly 45

i have the 25/1.4 and it is very nice.. and the 14/2.8 which has its moments... as well as a lot of other micro 4/3, 4/3 and legacy lenses

but the first 2 lenses are my goto lenses... the 20 is a nice focal length that covers a lot of bases and the 45 is just magnificent.... and they are both really really small... I have shot events with them in my jeans pockets..... no frigging camera bag

this was shot on the 20mm

<!-- This version of the embed code is no longer supported. Learn more: https://vimeo.com/help/faq/embedding --> <object width="500" height="281"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=33664827&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=33664827&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="281"></embed></object>

this was shot with the 45 - both on a GH2 - not an OMD

<!-- This version of the embed code is no longer supported. Learn more: https://vimeo.com/help/faq/embedding --> <object width="500" height="281"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=33533553&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=33533553&amp;force_embed=1&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=1&amp;color=00adef&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;autoplay=0&amp;loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="500" height="281"></embed></object>

here are some photos on the 20 mm

Panasonic 20/1.7 - a set on Flickr

and some on the 14mm... which is another consideration

Panasonic 14mm - a set on Flickr

cheers

Kevin

K

• Like Like x 2
  7. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    14/2.5 and 45/1.8
    Dont know much about video, but thats what I would choose for the money. I would try to buy used to get the third one, too:

Only one lens: 20/1,7
    Two: 14 and 45
    Three: all of them

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    If just one lens for OM-D I think PL 25 is the best choice. It should balance nicely on OM-D while pancakes won't make it more pocketable anyway (OM-D is a large camera). PL25 will take advantage of OM-D's fast AF and IBIS. It's great for general use: portraits, enviro portraits, landscape (can always stitch shots), low light, video, DoF control, possible macro with Raynox, etc. It also has one of the best (if not the best) IQ among all m43 lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    For videography? I love video taking.. and the VC 17.5 & 25 0.95 lenses would be the best....

BUT, too bad those awesome $1+ m43 lenses don't have IBIS in Video-Mode :(

That being said... I'd take the PL 25mm since it still had IBIS.. but rumors have it that Olympus will come out with either or both a fast 17.5 and/or 25mm, in the same design and look as their 75, 45 and 12 and much cheaper than the PL25

10. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    If that were the single criterion, I'd be buying some other camera. My first new non-kit lens (I have an E-P1) was bought on the basis that I wouldn't be able to afford another for quite some time, rather than being the only one I'd ever have. That said, it's still my favourite - the Panasonic 20mm.

11. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Panasonic 25mm...no question.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You should really figure this one out for yourself. Everyone shoots differently. I personally shoot native and adapted lenses and my kit total cost less than $600. Though I tried a bunch of lenses before settling down on my current kit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    One lens can't begin to do it all, of course. So, think of this as the first of several lenses.

The 25/1.4 is certainly a great lens and a reasonable choice for you. But in your shoes, I think the Pany 14-140 is an exceptional choice. You get a huge range of FOV from 28mm-280mm (135 equiv.) which renders excellent quality throughout the range. It's also a quick and silent focusing lens which makes it a great choice for video.

This great lens enabled me to capture both of the images from the same position... Just seconds from each other. You can do a LOT with this one lens!
    P5290107.

P5290105.

Think of whatever lens you get now as the beginning, not the end.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tothepetercopter

Feb 1, 2012
    Indiana
    Wow thanks for all the help. I'm taking everything into account and doing more research.

Would you all suggest the EP3 so I can buy more lenses or is the OMD that good?

15. soulofoto

soulofoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    I think the OMD is that good...but I don't have one yet. The photos I have seen on the net are awesome...better than any other m43...

ya' know, I don't get the love for the PL25...I would recommend the Panny 20 before that lens. If I was shooting for a magazine or newspaper, the 25 looks perfect. Is there something that I am missing on the PL25 vs. the Panny 20mm? Every panny 20 foto shot on this site just looks lovely to me....

16. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    No contest....the PL25.

....with the change left over get the excellent 14-45 !!

Combined with the EM5 & you have a pretty rocking setup.

17. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK... gonna get a bit off topic here... but... its not the camera or indeed even the lens that makes a good photograph....its the photographer.... faster lenses or more megapixels maybe make it easier ... but they are not the solution in itself

I would hazard a guess that the majority of iconic photos of the last 100 years were taken at something above f 2.8 and an iso of 100 or less.

choice of lens is down to finding a focal length that works for you... if you want to shoot sport or wildlife... then a long lens makes sense.... if you shoot interiors then a wide angle is a better bet

The body is pretty irrelevant.... yes a newer model will offer technically better benchmarks... most of which are indiscernible to most viewers of your pictures

if you can't take a good photograph with version 1 of a cameras then its doubtful if version 4 5 or 6 will change things much.

The choice between EP and OM is down to style of shooting.....arms length or up to the eye... and don't even mention the add on VF for the EP.... a design abomination:) I am sure there are users who will defend that combination ...each to their own

as an aside.... i post my choice pics on flickr.... for a long time...even when I had better cameras my most 'interesting' photo was taken on a canon ixus/elph... bought in 2000 for 600 dollars... it was 2M pixels.... the photo is still my number 4 most interring picture... None of my most 'interesting' pics were taken with my more recent cameras

just my thoughts

K

18. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    My vote would be for the Panasonic 25 1.4. Great lens, and a perfect fit for the OMD. But again, it all depends on what you like to shot.

19. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    He's not going to take very good pictures if he has no lens...he's gotta start somewhere!

Tothepetercopter - yes, the e-m5 is that good. If you can swing that and the PL25 (which some say is a similar focal length to the human eye), you're off to a good start.

• Like Like x 1
  20. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    One lens = 25/1.4. Now if only I could afford either of them... :banghead: