If you are using AI noise reduction software, what is the limit you've set as far as ISO?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I used to top my G9's out at 3200 now it's 12,500. Very happy and FOR ME feel that these new software programs have addressed the big issue for the M43 sized sensers.

Last edited:

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur
I don't set a limit anylonger.

With Affinity to mask out the places where the denoise/sharpen gets artifacts, if the images conveys a emotion and is worth it I can feel like I can rescue (for web display) nearly any ISO.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Can't wait for the price of graphics accelerator cards to come back down, so that I can get an AI NR sw

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
TBH, I've never worried all that much about 'limits'. It is the nature of my photography that I rarely need to go over... say, ISO1200. But I am perfectly willing to go as high as necessary to get the photo. I'd rather get the photo, only to find out it isn't really usable, rather than not take it and never know.

Real Name
Glenn
I have been using Nonoise A1 called from inside Capture One and find it is pretty liberating. My brain won’t shake the habit of using the lowest ISO I developed from shooting film but truth is I really could just not worry about it. Where it really helps me is photomicrography where shutter shake is so amplified.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I have all my cameras set for the ISO to use full stops only. IME, most (all?) cameras use the ADC for full stops, and digital processing for intermediate stops. This makes the intermediate stops more noisy than the next highest full stop.

I've done this experiment on all my cameras, always the same result.

Take a series of photos at incremental ISOs with the lens cap on, and you will instantly see what I mean.

Real Name
Glenn
I have all my cameras set for the ISO to use full stops only. IME, most (all?) cameras use the ADC for full stops, and digital processing for intermediate stops. This makes the intermediate stops more noisy than the next highest full stop.

Take a series of photos at incremental ISOs with the lens cap on, and you will instantly see what I mean.
Interesting, I’ll have to try that. I set mine to 1/2 stop just for speed (and laziness of course).

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
For Oly cameras, certainly my E-M1.1, I think that setting only affects when you are scrolling through and picking an ISO but Auto ISO will still use intermediate ISO settings.
Yes, my understanding as well. It's why I never use auto ISO. That and other reasons.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide

So now when I leave the lens cap on, I can downplay that as a noise test. Good thinking.

Before Topaz denoise Ai, I went to 3200 but really tried to keep it to 1600 max on the EM1.3. Now I let it go to 6400 and don't worry so much. I more emphasize stopping motion and trying to nail exposure.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom