If you are a fan of Pelican style cases, check out Harbor Freight and sign up for the coupons.

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
Dear Board,

I just ordered 2 for pick-up and they took the discount from their coupon and another coupon. Long story short I'm picking up a rolling case and a large case tomorrow morning for $ 139.00 plus tax.

The large version in Pelican would cost more than the two of them.

I make no claims to their waterproofing compared to Pelican but for the $$$$ difference I figured I'd take a chance.

Edited to add - I decided to stay home and let them come to me. A 4800 series Apache case and a 5800 series Apache rolling case on my doorstep for a total of $ 129.02.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

Last edited:
Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
I hope they are good as Pelican.
Good luck.
Dear Photocal,

I have no plans to scuba dive, or fall off of a boat with them, but for secure weatherproof storage I'm certain they will match Pelican. I will post a picture of them in the rain and snow, and how they performed, just to be honest once they arrive. I owe y'all that much.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Dear Board,

I just ordered 2 for pick-up and they took the discount from their coupon and another coupon. Long story short I'm picking up a rolling case and a large case tomorrow morning for $ 139.00 plus tax.

The large version in Pelican would cost more than the two of them.

I make no claims to their waterproofing compared to Pelican but for the $$$$ difference I figured I'd take a chance.

Edited to add - I decided to stay home and let them come to me. A 4800 series Apache case and a 5800 series Apache rolling case on my doorstep for a total of $ 129.02.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I was in Harbor Freight recently and had to stop at the display they are very tempting!

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
There are few HF products that I would trust.
My uncle had a lot of that cr-p that we tossed out when he died.
You get what you pay for, as the saying goes.

SyZyGy

New to Mu-43
They are listed as IP65 Rated- watertight and dustproof.
I'd personally run the experiment: empty the cases of padding if able, weigh it down, seal and sink it.

Reviews certainly look good though

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There are few HF products that I would trust.
My uncle had a lot of that cr-p that we tossed out when he died.
You get what you pay for, as the saying goes.
I really feel lousy now, after hearing this, that I used Harbor Freight tools to help my son build his Eagle Scout project. A 24' wooden bridge built of pressure treated lumber including 6"x6" posts and 2"x10" beams, three across the entire span, not to mention all the other lumber and the 60+ bolt holes, and hundreds of deck screws. We used the lousy circular saw and the rotten 1/2" drill, both of which I purchased and have used miserably for many years prior.

Real Name
Joseph T Murphy IV
So how do you like them?
Dear P Hopper,

I am happy with them, and confident that they will work just fine to consolidate all of my M4/3's gear in one place. I am in the process of divesting of Nikon and Canon DSLR's and at this point I have only set the one case without the wheels up to store my OM-1 series bodies and their chargers and a couple of flashes. I don't want to pluck and pick too much until I get the Olympus 100-400 lens, and maybe another lens or two? Once that is done I will have a safe and secure storage method, and I will be able to keep the cameras in the back of my truck under a truck cap when I travel on vacation or fishing trips. Being able to keep everything in a small footprint in hard sided cases that would withstand a knock or two was the my goal when I purchased them.

For the combined price of about $ 120.00, which is on the low end price range of a large shoulder bag, I think I did well.

Regards.

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA :)

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I've opened and looked at all of them. They appear to be high quality, but I'm unimpressed with the size of all but the largest non-rolling.

I really feel lousy now, after hearing this, that I used Harbor Freight tools to help my son build his Eagle Scout project. A 24' wooden bridge built of pressure treated lumber including 6"x6" posts and 2"x10" beams, three across the entire span, not to mention all the other lumber and the 60+ bolt holes, and hundreds of deck screws. We used the lousy circular saw and the rotten 1/2" drill, both of which I purchased and have used miserably for many years prior.
Agreed! Now I have to go back to all of my old projects and tell them it they were never completed, and probably won't work correctly.

Anyone who 'doesn't trust' HF is basing their knowledge strictly on some old dogma. I buy and use them extensively, and have never had a failure. While it's true I buy good brands for my heavily used tools, the less often used are just fine. I have bearing and seal drivers, a belt sander, a torque wrench, clamps, the list goes on. I bought one of their 14V drills for no other reason than to extend and retract the stabilizers on my RV. It works fine. I have one their 300 piece lifetime guaranteed tools sets. I don't use mechanic tools enough to warrant brand names. It's lasted through my Harley Road King and several trucks, plus other projects.

vco

New to Mu-43
I think the Harbor Freight cases are "ok" for the money, and have a couple of them. I also have a few Pelican cases. I think for most casual, and even some heavier duty usage, the HF cases are fine.

I think for extreme cases, the Pelican still wins mostly. If I were going somewhere potentially hazardous with travel involved, and I knew that the cases would be subject to travel handling, I'd spend the extra money for Pelican (or maybe Storm?).

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
His grinder test on the hinge pins proves nothing. All SS has mild steel content, different grades have different amounts. I've seen SS corrode extensively in a very short period of time. Those pins very well could be a low grade stainless, although I'd guess they're chromium plated.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom