If there was a pro m4/3s,...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by OzRay, Mar 19, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    ...I might have been able to work right now. Last weekend I was walking the hounds (18 month pups but over 40kg each - they were supposed to be Labradors) and daydreaming when they saw a cat and tried to take off after it. Not wanting to let go of them and, as I was caught unawares, I held on tight and did virtually a 360 degree flip. I landed heavily on my left hand and it turns out that I’ve split my wrist bone from the socket down, about 2”-3”.

My left hand is useless for just about anything, I can’t even use it to dry myself after a shower. The swelling has reduced, but now the pain is actually increasing, so regular doses of pain killers are the go. I had to defer all of my sports work for the next four or more weeks until things get better. I may need surgery and will find out next week. I tried to use my 4/3s gear, but it just put too much strain on my wrist, even if the main weight was taken up by my right hand, so there’s no way I could have done anything prolonged.

On the other hand, I can reasonably well handle the Pen 2 and assorted lenses, even though changing lenses is a bit painful, but the system just would not have coped with sports photography, especially very fast moving Aussie Rules Football. On another note, I may have been able to use the Pen to take some video of the action and then capture stills from the video. I may just have to contact my newspaper and see where the closest game is, this or next weekend, and give it a try. It could prove to be very interesting.

So which pain killer should I take now, Nurofen or some red?

Cheers

Ray

2. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    That sounds painful Ray. Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you recover well. I say lay low with shooting for now and immobilize your left hand, so you recover faster.

3. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm afraid laying low is not in my nature. I didn't even go to the doctors until my hand looked really weird, as I considered it more of a sprain than anything else. I've got the hand in a brace, so that the wrist is immobilised and I took most of this week off, as I couldn't do anything with the hand at the beginning, but things are getting boring and I have to do something. I kind of subscribe to the view that the longer you stay in bed, the longer it takes for you to get out. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Really sorry to hear that Ray, labradors do tend to do that... My wife is sporting a bruise on her right shoulder for much the same reason :rolleyes:

Hope you're feeling better soon, it's no fun not being able to work.

Cheers

Brian

5. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    feel better soon after your spill......

6. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I'll recover soon enough; however, what peeves me a bit is that I've had time off and hoped that I could have gone out and just done some fun stuff for my own benefit, but I haven't even had a chance to do that. I really need a sabbatical.

Cheers

Ray

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    sorry to hear of the accident ray , i wish you a speedy recovery so you can resume shooting like your old self

paul in nyc

8. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    When all you have is lemons, make lemonade. That's what I'm going to do and no one should feel sorry. My real point was what could be, were someone, Olympus or whoever, to produce the next generation of a professional camera in a really compact format. It may well happen, but it just isn't here yet.

Cheers

Ray

9. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi Ray, sorry to hear this, hope you will get well soon. Pain killer: Paracetamol.
    Give it a try.

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Ray, you've just made me wonder... when will a consumer cam be good enough for professional work? do we actually need a 'professional spec' camera? or should we just wait a little while until consumer spec cams can focus as fast as a DSLR, give continuous view through the EVF and give high dynamic range images?

Even in terms of robust construction - since the manufacturers seem to be following the model of bulk consumer production... having a super high spec mechanical construction will actually be overengineered if you can't replace the internals - the electronics/sensor will be outdated long before the camera wears out mechanically.

Sorry for the ramble, but do you see my point?

Cheers

Brian

11. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    What really works well is; ibuprofen, codeine phosphate, Boags Premium Lager and Hardy's Cabernet Sauvignon, or at the moment, d'Arenberg Cabernet Sauvignon. Pain is merely transitory. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

12. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Brian

There are already consumer cams that can do all that, and there are numerous pros using nothing but consumer cams for their work, because the difference in many cases is negligible, but the price is notable. The only area where the distinction between pro and amateur tends to stand out is sport photography, where AF speed, tracking and processing is paramount. Even here, often the difference is no more than comparisons of reliability. It's the lenses that makes all the difference.

Cheers

Ray

13. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Ah yes, lenses... this is an area where I doubt that the consumer market will create what you'd need to do those high performance shoots.

As the consumer base expands though, surely it will reach a point where even the small fraction who need such lenses will expand to the point where it's viable to produce for them.

Just a matter of time I think - and the tracking technology made possible by mirrorless advanced CDAF techniques will surpass PDAF pretty quickly.

Exciting times ahead, just not soon enough for some of us :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

14. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the next m4\3 machine oly makes will be a high grade machine, with an evolved spec sheet
    and more manual lens friendliness

i m sure this will happen

15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi Ray,

Can't help you out with a small, lightweight pro camera but for the pain try Glenfarclas 105. :biggrin:

16. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Ouch. Sorry to hear about the accident. I admire your attitude and fully support the blend of natural and chemical pharmaceuticals.

As for the pro M4/3 thing...

I feel it depends on what is being shot, and on the output, and of course what we mean by pro.

For high resolution large size prints I don't feel M4/3 is there yet. Really very good, yes, and perfectly acceptable in many cases. In my experience though, my relatively elderly 5D with a good lens produces better output.

You have already mentioned sports, but I do feel that's one that is within reach, depending again on the output required.

17. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Ray, I'm so sorry to read about your spill with those "puppies" and wish you a speedy recovery! Just don't mix too many pills with that wine!:wink:

Now back to the technical discussions.:biggrin:

18. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    on the topic of focus speed and sports photography...

here's something I'm still trying to figure out...

So from what I ... think I know ... a given lens has a focal range, i.e. the minimum focus distance and an infinity focus distance. So as an example with my 17mm prime, I think the minimum focus distance is around 20cm or something like that. Now I previously made an attempt at determining the infinity focus distance (for F4.5 I think) but I obviously got it all wrong. I thought that it came out to something like 8 metres but when I tried it in reality, it wasn't, when I focused on an object 10 metres away, items 100 metres away were still out of focus.

What I mean by infinity focus is... in theory, if I had an object 1km away from me, and I had another object 5km away from me, focusing on both objects should result in the same focus setting on my 17mm lens. At the same time, if I focus on the 1km away object, objects further like the object 5 km away should also be in focus.

So, how exactly do I calculate how far infinity focus is for a given lens?

The reason I'm curious is because if the infinity focus distance is "reasonable", you can set the focus of a lens to infinity and you would not have to worry about your focus speed. Right? I'm guessing that the infinity focus distance is not reasonable, but I can't tell because I can't figure out what that distance is right now.

19. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    What you need to do is calculate the 'Depth of Field'. With most legacy lenses, it's easy to do because of the engraved aperture/depth of field guide on the lens barrel. Depth of field is a combination of focal length, aperture and subject distance. Here's a calculator that can assist: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html.

Cheers

Ray

20. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    oh and to partially answer my own question. Here's an example of a chart that shows exactly what I'm talking about, but it's for a different lens.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1331&page=specs

It pretty much says, at F2, if you're standing 651 metres away from your subject, you can just set your lens to infinity and manual focus, and click away with 0 focus speed. But ... that's 651 metres away....